Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I was expecting more memories of the JNI but maybe they will still be forthcoming.

The next image is of a nice wee building that has always intrigued me. I have an idea about its past but cannot be certain however I am sure that someone out there will be able to fill in the blanks.

PICTURE 9

post-2737-0-89738100-1331482254_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Looks like the old Mill building at Maxwellton Rd/West Lane.

PICTURE 9

Old Gate house at Ferguslie Mills, It was the one that had the weighbridge ?

I am sure you are right. It was bought by an architect who converted it, I was lucky enough to be in it, a very nice property indeed

Of course you are correct guys. All I assumed about it is that it was connected to the Mills in some way and was some sort of Gatehouse but besides that I know nothing about it.

I am grateful we still have the Anchor Mills but its a pity a great industrial building like the Ferguslie Mills was allowed to fall into so much disrepair that it had to be demolished.

I was through seeing my parents yesterday, and I actually went for a walk round the town centre for the first time in years after reading this thread.

The place hasn't changed that much- hard to believe that Cafe Borgia is still the same.

I am so glad you took the time to wander about and look at the buildings. I was like you Ricardo. I am only in the town twice a month for obvious reasons but came in early one day to wander about and decided I had to photograph some of these buildings in case they disappear and maybe help develop an appreciation of them for fellow Buddies.

Its easy when you stay in the town to take them for granted but as a visitor they are still impressive. I know people who stay in the New Towns and they have sod all places of architectural interest while we have Grade A Listed Buildings. I just wish the Council would encourage more people to live in the Town Centre and make it alive again by cutting rates, getting rid of Parking Charges and help developers have cheap access to the buildings on condition they restore them appropriately and built/contribute to public amenities. They did that in Dublin many years ago and developed a cosmopolitan city from it.

Its easy when you stay in the town to take them for granted but as a visitor they are still impressive. I know people who stay in the New Towns and they have sod all places of architectural interest while we have Grade A Listed Buildings. I just wish the Council would encourage more people to live in the Town Centre and make it alive again by cutting rates, getting rid of Parking Charges and help developers have cheap access to the buildings on condition they restore them appropriately and built/contribute to public amenities. They did that in Dublin many years ago and developed a cosmopolitan city from it.

And that's what's needed, incentives to make the town an attractive proposition to live in again, Build it up and watch it prosper, quite why East Kilbride has been doing it for so many years with nothing but a concrete shopping mall for a town centre I'll never know, but surely Paisley is Scotland's original 'commuter town' with excellent transport links and a decent town centre environment ? We'll never compete with Glasgow in retail terms, few places in the UK do, but let's make the most of being on the cusp of one of the UK's biggest metropolitan centres and focus less on the negatives. As I've said before, the entire High Street should become an outlet zone for the big stores, let Glasgow handle the prime retail stock and let Paisley attract the bargain hunters down the railway for some 'last season' stock...

So far I have shown images of two Grade A Listed Buildings - The Russell Institute and the John Neilson Institute. There are 22 in Paisley! (East Kilbride has 3). Bet that came as a surprise. You'll find them all out in due course :) And there are approximately 130 Grade B listed buildings. Hope you dont get bored looking at our grand architecture! Good to be a Buddie!

Many of you will know this and many of you maybe just walked passed it on a regular basis........

Its Grade A Listed .....PS Who is represented by the statue in the background?

PICTURE 10

post-2737-0-76318100-1331484373_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

beg to differ billy, chic gilloughley (we arrogant ginger cnut) was at st mirins and was also at st peters glenburn , a very common myth was that he was connected to the jewellry store owner one he would not deny himself but the jewellers was spelt gillougley - no H, and the wee ginger one and his tall also ginger brother lived in council housing iirc and although not paupers like my lot , they were not that rich, and i did quite often question him and his brother angus on the spelling difference, but was ignored

He was was introduced to me in 1975 by his girlfriend whose name escapes me. She worked in Gillougley's shop. The plot thickens.

Many of you will know this and many of you maybe just walked passed it on a regular basis........

PICTURE 10

Many a bottle of Old England was consumed in the vicinity , circa 1974 !

PICTURE 10

Fountain Gardens Sonny. One entrance from Caledonia Street, the other from Love street. Spent a large part of my childhood there, in the fountain on them long hot summers, stubbing my toe on the decorative barnacles!!!!

In it's splendour quite a fantastic piece of work. Water spraying from everywhere and a great centrepiece for the gardens which were the best playground possible.

Took a bit of a hammering when the hurricane struck, quite a few massive trees came down but that was just a better place to play.

The staue is Rabbie Burns, I stupidly left my name on this but almost immediatly regretted it, spent 4 hours the following night trying to scrub it off.

Edited by faraway saint

PICTURE 10

know it well walking past it heading to the game down love street way

trying to remember,is there still a smaller version in the millerston park,behind the old "park bar" enterence

is it still there?

Found a pic of the lion above aff yer heid barbers:

Glasgow_Road_-_geograph.org.uk_-_426591.jpg

I was in that building many a time when it was Lion's Coal office. It was quite plush inside. I can remember our coal being delivered by horse and cart. The horses were huge Clydesdales and there was almost a kind of initiation ceremony us boys had to go through and that was to pat the horse. When you're about three years old a big horse like that was frightening.

Stirrat's Dairies delivered milk by horse and cart too and I remember one day the cart overturned dragging the horse down.It was a big white horse and it got quite badly hurt. There was blood everywhere and a lot of us were nearly hysterical. Amazingly within days it was back at work as if nothing had happened and the scars soon faded.

I was in that building many a time when it was Lion's Coal office. It was quite plush inside. I can remember our coal being delivered by horse and cart. The horses were huge Clydesdales and there was almost a kind of initiation ceremony us boys had to go through and that was to pat the horse. When you're about three years old a big horse like that was frightening.

Stirrat's Dairies delivered milk by horse and cart too and I remember one day the cart overturned dragging the horse down.It was a big white horse and it got quite badly hurt. There was blood everywhere and a lot of us were nearly hysterical. Amazingly within days it was back at work as if nothing had happened and the scars soon faded.

my old man worked for the dairy when he was a boy

his horse was called "teddy"

told me many stories about the horses ....so funny

Edited by saintargyll

The fountain gardens were Paisley's very first public park - donated to Paisley by Thomas Coats(?).

One of the oak trees (if it's still there) is alleged to be grown from an acorn that fell from the Wallace tree in Elderslie.

I too remember having a paddle on a warm summers day, and attempting to climb on the back of a walrus. I'd love to see the fountain up and running properly again.

The fountain gardens were Paisley's very first public park - donated to Paisley by Thomas Coats(?).

One of the oak trees (if it's still there) is alleged to be grown from an acorn that fell from the Wallace tree in Elderslie.

I too remember having a paddle on a warm summers day, and attempting to climb on the back of a walrus. I'd love to see the fountain up and running properly again.

I actually managed to climb the centre piece Eddy. First level was the worst although water and cast iron made for a dangerous fall if it all went wrong.

Ah, the innocence of youth. thumbup2.gif

Fountain Gardens Sonny. One entrance from Caledonia Street, the other from Love street. Spent a large part of my childhood there, in the fountain on them long hot summers, stubbing my toe on the decorative barnacles!!!!

In it's splendour quite a fantastic piece of work. Water spraying from everywhere and a great centrepiece for the gardens which were the best playground possible.

Took a bit of a hammering when the hurricane struck, quite a few massive trees came down but that was just a better place to play.

The staue is Rabbie Burns, I stupidly left my name on this but almost immediatly regretted it, spent 4 hours the following night trying to scrub it off.

There are traces of yir name still there....

spa..le

Guest somner9

y.

Remember the PDE headline the next day "Boy seen Buffing bard's Boaby!" whistling.gif

I actually managed to climb the centre piece Eddy. First level was the worst although water and cast iron made for a dangerous fall if it all went wrong.

Ah, the innocence of youth. thumbup2.gif

The Health & Safety mob would probably ban you from even having a paddle these days thumbdown.gif