Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Important because it was the legal decision that set up the Sales of Goods Act. As one wegiescumbag law lecturer commented - the only good thing ever to come out of Paisley. thumbdown.gif

Although I'd agree the Sale of Goods Act was an important outcome, there has been more effect arising from the law of negligence and the definition of 'neighbour' which was defined by this case. The Paisley Snail, in a round about way, is virtually responsible for today's compensation culture.

Negligence is a distinct tort. The decision settled that negligence as a tort or civil wrong, stood by itself and that it could be actionable in any circumstances in which one person suffered personal injury or physical property damage as a direct, close and foreseeable result of the act or omission of another. Litigants do not have to rely on special relationships to prove their cases nor is negligence a dependent component of other torts.

The definition of “my neighbour” continues to be the most controversial aspect of Lord Atkin’s decision - "Who, then, in law is my neighbour? The answer seems to be – persons who are so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought to have them in contemplation as being so affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions which are called in question."

Edited by Eddy

Important because it was the legal decision that set up the Sales of Goods Act. As one wegiescumbag law lecturer commented - the only good thing ever to come out of Paisley. thumbdown.gif

When as a pimply youth I had to study the General Principles of Scots Law, we had Donoghue v Stevenson rammed down our throats. At the time it made me feel very proud of Paisley. Strange that.

Cochranes.

There is a nice touch done by the guys who put the boarding on the shop front.Anybuddie notice it?

Mouse hole the size of a fox, cut out to allow Britain's most popular wild animal access to late night shopping...thumbup2.gif

Mouse hole the size of a fox, cut out to allow Britain's most popular wild animal access to late night shopping...thumbup2.gif

There is a family of foxes live in the doorway.I often watch them coming and going when I'm waiting for jobs at night.

I thought they were based in the huge building to the left at the end of these tenements and before the Regal, where their vehicles were stored/serviced? Sanny worked there with them. (Mighty Eighth BB captain.)

Fwiw... The uncle mentioned above went on to become an undertaker - with Goudie's.

So glad he got a mention at last! Thanks Bluto. Sanny or Alex Foulds was my great uncle, he died a few years back aged 92. Could tell a million and one stories of his life and what he did and saw from the merchant navy to the BB to the co-op transport dept to a co-op undertaker to being a police special. He was also the one who climbed into the Glen Cinema when the disaster struck, lifted a good number of kids out and opened the door to let the others out. He was a proud Buddie, a life long fan of St Mirren and would be so pleased to know he is remembered after his death.

Edited by ktf

The slug was found in a bottle of ginger beer hence 'gie's a slug of yer ginger'

I remember Stevenson's lemonade still being sold in Paisley. Does anyone know what happened to them? I think too on the label there was a view of the Abbey. Is that right?

PCTURE 17 was correctly identified as Cochranes/Arnotts in Gauze Street.

'The Arnotts' building was designed by one of Paisley's most respected architects, JS Steel Maitland, opening in 1927, and taking on the Arnott's name in 1973. The B-listed building has been lying empty since the store closed in 2002'.

Right, I am away to Edinburgh now - and not to take photographs!

PICTURE 18

post-2737-0-18799600-1331834664_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

That's a great pic, Sonny, love the abbey in the background like that. I'm dithering over whether to use this or one of Buddie Brilliant's on his thread as my wallpaper on my pc at work - what a great dilemma to be in!

smile.png

PCTURE 17 was correctly identified as Cochranes/Arnotts in Gauze Street.

'The Arnotts' building was designed by one of Paisley's most respected architects, JS Steel Maitland, opening in 1927, and taking on the Arnott's name in 1973. The B-listed building has been lying empty since the store closed in 2002'.

Right, I am away to Edinburgh now - and not to take photographs!

PICTURE 18

That's a great pic, Sonny, love the abbey in the background like that. I'm dithering over whether to use this or one of Buddie Brilliant's on his thread as my wallpaper on my pc at work - what a great dilemma to be in!

smile.png

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif It is a tremendous picture, right enough!

I know this bridge very well since i use to put up the xmas lights for 15 years....happy daze!!

PICTURE 18 is the Abbey Bridge but I dont have any information on it. Maybe Saintargyll can help? I know there has been a bridge there for many many years and came across a pic of an old stone-arched one that this one replaced.

Here are another couple of shots of the Abbey Bridge .....(ignore the old buildings in the background smile.png )

PICTURE 19 (MIDDLE image) is .......

post-2737-0-97103900-1331477105_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-31316700-1331487633_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-64212000-1331834957_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny