Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

My dad played amateur level football for Anchor AFC, so me and my brother would get dragged along there on saturdays to watch the game. Then in the evening he'd play guitar in one of the bars upstairs. Me and my bro would get perched on a couple of bar stolls in the corner with a coke and crisps each. I also remember playing table tennis in a room in the basement, think they had snooker/pool tables in there too. On the outside steps I seem to remember there being loads of benches to sit on. Trying to recall if there were tennis courts round the back or not ? This would have been around thirty years ago.

it was around 30 years ago that i was frequenting the rec, i remember watching the amateurs and having a beer with them after the match on saturdays and playing table tennis and snooker in the basement, there wre indeed red blaize tennis courts at the back-exactly where the fives pitches are situated, what is your dads name ?

Only been inside once.To watch Chocolate and Cream perform.cloud9.gif (football night out)

coffee and cream i believe they were called, i went to a football night out at ardeer rec where they were the act but coffee didn't turn up, i remember trying to get radio one on creams rather lovely buttons icon12.gif

coffee and cream i believe they were called, i went to a football night out at ardeer rec where they were the act but coffee didn't turn up, i remember trying to get radio one on creams rather lovely buttons icon12.gif

Your right.It was Coffee(chocolate just sounded sweeter)I got pulled for that before.But unfortunately not by Coffee.whistling.gif

No HSS, Camphill. However I seem to remember also competing at Seedhill?

For the first time on this thread Bluto you are wrong. 'Toward' were the Athlete Kings smile.png

Wrong guys, Davaar were the kings.

Although I do remember Ailsa being full of guys light on there loafers.

Picture 23 is The Former Anchor Recreation and Social Club ( The Rec ) we paid 5p per week deducted from our wages when I was employed by J&P Coats at the Anchor Mill ?

The building was bought by a local Scrap Dealer ( John Pitt ) who turned it into a Five aside Football venue .

that's why it would have been called "the pitz"

This one has been broadcast more times than the opening sequence to 'Taxi'. F*ck it, I'm gonna re-shoot this magnum-opus at the first opportunity. Cast of thousands, apply here... lol.gif

Needing a taxi tae shoot ?

PICTURE 25 was indeed the Laigh (Low) Church. Some more info here....

History of the Old Laigh Kirk

The Town Councillors began wishing for a Parish Church of their own soon after 1730. In 1733, they negotiated the purchase of two tracts of land, Aikett's Yard north of St Mirren’s Burn (now culverted) and Causeyland, or the Meikle Yard south of it, and also two or three houses in Causeyside. The southern part was the wider and this was for the Church. Meanwhile they negotiated with the Earl of Dundonald, patron of the existing Abbey Church, and the existing Presbytery, for leave to 'disjoin' a separate parish.

The New Street was laid off in 38 building lots which were auctioned profitably on 15th March 1734. (Some of these lots were afterwards subdivided.) Building of the Church began in 1736 (local masons Young and Hart contracted) from the proceeds.

In 1738 the church was open and the rev. Robert Mitchell came from the Abbey, where he had been the second minister (the Abbey, with a huge parish, had two ministers.) Among the 18 elders composing the new Kirk Session were several bailies and other important people. Their minutes show that they worked in close co-operation with the council to enforce the puritanical discipline of the time on the Burgh’s inhabitants.

The most famous person associated with this Church was Dr John Witherspoon, the next minister but one after Mitchell. He was a controversialist who tried to enforce the strictest moral standards both nationally and locally, making war on Sabbath-breakers and stage plays as well as on more serious crimes (for which the police force was quite inadequate). By that time some of the richer parishioners were much less willing to be disciplined; and when Witherspoon brought some of them before the Presbytery for blasphemous behaviour (particularly parodying the Communion Service while drunk) they employed a lawyer, got a verdict of Not Proven and then successfully sued the minister for libel because he had printed a sermon denouncing them. Not surprisingly, Witherspoon yielded to the repeated solicitations of his American admirers to go and become the Principal of Princeton. From then on (1768) he became a part of American history; he was one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence.

The development of 1733 was the start of a period of rapid growth in the town. There soon had to be two more Burgh churches serving a High and a Middle Parish and this church was then the Laigh (Low) Church. The burn just north of the churchyard was the parish boundary; George Street and Causeyside were this church’s parish. By the end of the century the congregation was outgrowing the Church, which was in any case old-fashioned and damp. After the Napoleonic Wars it was replaced by St George’s Church, visible at the end of Shuttle Street though now converted into flats.

The Old Laigh Kirk remained Burgh property and was available for letting to smaller religious bodies, (Paisley was very tolerant of dissenters so long as they were Protestant), for Sunday Schools, etc, and as a public meeting hall. It was so much appreciated for this last purpose that when the Town Council proposed in 1833 to sell it there was an outcry. Eventually a group of local individuals bought it so as to retain it as a public meeting place. Shortly afterwards the Evangelical Union leased it; this was a body formed in Kilmarnock in 1835 which differed from all the Calvinist churches on some fundamental points of doctrine and had a small but keen membership in Paisley.

By the 20th century the the E. U. congregation had moved away, leaving the old church, once again, in the hands of the local authority. In 1987 it was re-opened as an Arts Centre, for which the shape in which the last Church rebuilding had left it was reasonably well adaptable.

I'll call these three next shots PICTURE 26A 26B and 26C as they all relate to the same event that has already been covered - The Glen Cinema Disaster (Page 9 of this thread). The fist A shows the memorial in Hawkhead Cemetary, the second B shows the cinema behind and above the furniture shop and C shows the cinema/Good Templar Halls from Dyers Wynd.

post-2737-0-42724000-1332102071_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-17975300-1332102114_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-43410200-1332102585_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny