Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Carbrook St was my Primary. Pulled down years ago and cannot find a photo of it. Has anyone got one?

My mum went to Carbrook St for a few years when they moved back to Paisley (and then I think Lochfield? for 6 months before Camphill - all seems very complicated this 6 months business).

Some photos from inside the old Kelburne.

http://www.flickr.co...28396/lightbox/

Brings back memories.

Cheers Slash. Many memories. Wouldnt think twice about walking from the bottom of Well St out to the Kelburne and back. Remember doing it with my old man one Hogmany so my Mother could get the house 'clean' for the Bells. I would be about 7 and we went to see Jason and the Argonauts and it was pitch black and baltic on that walk.

Pity that old house next to the ABC was pulled down. The Council in the 60's should be prosecuted for crimes against architecture.

Edited by Sonny

It's also a cul de sac. Don't think I ever set foot along it!

Need tae check it oot next time I visit the East End.

There's a lovely wee Mews just along from todays photo and further round is a Garage/Body Repair place.

Hope the Mews wasn't tomorrows photo or I have spoiled it!!

That looks like the old Chapel House in East Buchannan Street

Correct, tucked in between Kwik Fit and St Mirin's Cathedral. The priests used to live in it before relocating to a new house on the other side of the cathedral on Garthland Lane. I think it's been or being converted into a residential property nowadays. As mentioned, there is a little mews lane round the back of here, it can be viewed from the trains arriving at Gilmour Street platform 4, if you're standing up, ready to alight. Paisley has several mews lanes dotted around, I only recently discovered one in Gallowhill round the back of the new estate where St Margarets convent school once stood.

Any one remeber the Zip slide across the cart into Hendry's lemonade factory

Yep, also remember getting caught by the Polis climbing out a window of Hendry's after a wee spot of exploration one afternoon soon after it shut down. My daft big mate was still inside as I told the cops I was on my own, Then the stupid fecker proceeded to climb out behind me. Wee trip down to K division for a talking to followed.

My mum went to Carbrook St for a few years when they moved back to Paisley (and then I think Lochfield? for 6 months before Camphill - all seems very complicated this 6 months business).

As someone said earlier there were two intakes a year to secondary schools. My 'Qually' was in November and those of us going to Camphill then had to do six months prep. There was no room in Camphill so the West and Lochfield took the prep pupils for six months. At the time they were in the process of building huts at the back of Camphill in the grounds of Priory Park. By September when we got to Camphill to start 1st.year properly the huts were ready. I think that only happened that year,though. I wonder if your mum was in my class? If you're willing too disclose her maiden name, I could tell you.

Yep, also remember getting caught by the Polis climbing out a window of Hendry's after a wee spot of exploration one afternoon soon after it shut down. My daft big mate was still inside as I told the cops I was on my own, Then the stupid fecker proceeded to climb out behind me. Wee trip down to K division for a talking to followed.

Is it OK for someone with a criminal record to post on this purer-than-the- driven-snow forum?

The Bridge can be accessed via the Jenny's Well Nature Path. Two things disappointed me. One is that there is no plaque on or near it identifying it and two the path does not go right up to the Bridge. I had to cut across rough ground full of brambles to get near it.

Years ago I used to up there with my mates simply by walking up the then closed railway line. I suppose you could still do that today from Hawkhead Station on Sundays when the line doesn't operate...

PICTURE 28 is the Cathedral House and St Mirin's Old Academy. The Old Academy was built in 1893 and the extensions in 1905 and 1912. C Listed.

The core of the Academy was built to serve as the convent school for the Faithful Companion of Jesus for Canon Chisholm. Lamb (1872-1910). The architect was James Barr Lamb who came from a family of local architects. The building incorporates to the rear at ground and basement the wall of the previous building on the site, the Union Lodge. The 1912 extension was commissioned by Archbishop Maguire. It now serves as the parish halls for the neighbouring St Mirin's Cathedral.

Another photo attached of this building. Anyone been in it? Whats it like?

post-2737-0-24424800-1332317063_thumb.jp

DID it chime...?

Eta: I knew it as the Stock Street clock, fwiw...

Aye. my granny stayed down at the bottom of Stock Street, wasn't it a dead end?

Until the posters above mentioned this I couldn't place it, jeesus, walked past it a million times (Exaggerated but still worth it)

Edited by faraway saint