Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Today's image .......

PICTURE 29

The Swedish style bell tower was a gift to the people of paisley from the people of Sweden as were the Scandinavian style timber houses in nearby Stockholm Crescent. Why exactly the Swedes felt the need to bestow such gifts on Paisley is anyone's guess. Many years later they opened a giant shop that allowed the occupants of Stockholm Crescent to purchase 'authentic' Swedish furnishing to put in their Swedish houses. th founder of said store was a Mr Ike Andersson better know as IKE-A...whistling.gif

Sonny, It may be a lot to ask of you - but perhaps once this thread reaches a suitable end - would you be prepared to showcase your work and the history gathered in a powerpoint presentation that we could share with other people? I think it has been one of the best topics on here in many a year that has been about the town of Paisley and has probably helped many of us look at the town in a different light or view if you get my drift. Just an idea. Slash

Very good idea but could be some time, thread is still as fresh as the first couple of days it was posted. clap.gif

Sonny, It may be a lot to ask of you - but perhaps once this thread reaches a suitable end - would you be prepared to showcase your work and the history gathered in a powerpoint presentation that we could share with other people? I think it has been one of the best topics on here in many a year that has been about the town of Paisley and has probably helped many of us look at the town in a different light or view if you get my drift. Just an idea. Slash

That's a possibility Slash and I may do that. I have been thinking that I may try to publish a book of the photos with a brief paragraph outlining the significance of each picture. Dont know how much interest there would be though.

At the moment I have probably another 200 shots (at least!) still to put up on here and some more I have in mind so this thread will run for a while yet. :)

The South End clock.Not sure if it has an official name.I was dragged up in this part of Town,including going to South School which lay below the clock so it means a lot to me.smile.png

You must have been there same time as me! How lucky were you.. do you remeber the school magazine which if you sold enough Mr Gavin let you have Friday afternoon off!

There's probably a reasonable demand for a book on the subject, there have been similar things done in the past. I've got a book I bought from the museum gift shop years ago which has old pictures of Paisley and modern day (1990-ish) comparison shots, side by side, I've also been considering making a video on Paisley. Hmmm.... food for thought.

That's a possibility Slash and I may do that. I have been thinking that I may try to publish a book of the photos with a brief paragraph outlining the significance of each picture. Dont know how much interest there would be though.

At the moment I have probably another 200 shots (at least!) still to put up on here and some more I have in mind so this thread will run for a while yet. smile.png

im longing for a pic that i can pin point that no one else knows (200 to go....in with a wee shout)

you didnt by any chance,walk along the "backdoors" of Morar drive with your camera did you?

You must have been there same time as me! How lucky were you.. do you remeber the school magazine which if you sold enough Mr Gavin let you have Friday afternoon off!

Naw.

Who is/was Mr Gavin?

What age are you?

Naw.

Who is/was Mr Gavin?

What age are you?

Coming up for 50! Mr Gavin was the head master (I think) then the dreadded Mr Brown came along and "tightened things up" so you only got a milkyway if you sold enough. Sales plummited

Edited by insaintee

Coming up for 50! Mr Gavin was the head master (I think) then the dreadded Mr Brown came along and "tightened things up" so you only got a milkyway if you sold enough. Sales plummited

Ages with me but I don't remember a Mr Gavin.I have sent my Sister a text and will get back to you.

I don't remember Mr Brown being "dreaded" either.Were you a bad boy?!!!

Ages with me but I don't remember a Mr Gavin.I have sent my Sister a text and will get back to you.

I don't remember Mr Brown being "dreaded" either.Were you a bad boy?!!!

He thought so. I don't about dreaded but I was "not a fan" even though we had many a "philosphical discussion"

My teachers were Mrs Sunderland, Miss Ross (can't remember her married name) Miss Stevenson, Mrs Welsfold, (thats all I remember)

Worst School dinners ever

He thought so. I don't about dreaded but I was "not a fan" even though we had many a "philosphical discussion"

My teachers were Mrs Sunderland, Miss Ross (can't remember her married name) Miss Stevenson, Mrs Welsfold, (thats all I remember)

Worst School dinners ever

My Sister remembers him but I honestly don't.I don't remember any of the above either.It must be the drugs.I always remember thinking it was wrong of Teachers to take them.:o