Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

im longing for a pic that i can pin point that no one else knows (200 to go....in with a wee shout)

you didnt by any chance,walk along the "backdoors" of Morar drive with your camera did you?

No saintargyll. Been a while since I have been in Morar Dr. Maybe someone else has been inspired to photograph Paisley :)

Picture 29 is indeed the South Side/End Clock. However in my limited investigations I can find no information on it. FS reckons it was built by Ikea but I dont know whether to take him seriously. :)

So if anyone knows anything about this significant landmark for all Southerners please post!

PICTURE 30 attached........

post-2737-0-13783400-1332409084_thumb.jp

Hell there is probably a Thomas Telford appreciation society that would probably fund a plaque if our own council cannot do it as they are too busy spending money on sausage roll buffets.

Wise up man !

' THOMAS TELFORD PLAQUE UNVEILING AT PAISLEY CANAL STATION

29 June 2007

Today (Friday 29 June), Hugh Henry, MSP for Paisley South, unveiled a plaque at Paisley Canal Station to honour the 250th anniversary of the birth of Thomas Telford.'

How many plaques do we need? dry.png

Wise up man !

' THOMAS TELFORD PLAQUE UNVEILING AT PAISLEY CANAL STATION

29 June 2007

Today (Friday 29 June), Hugh Henry, MSP for Paisley South, unveiled a plaque at Paisley Canal Station to honour the 250th anniversary of the birth of Thomas Telford.'

How many plaques do we need? dry.png

:) Thanks Billy. We need hundreds.

There should be a plaque on every Building that has some historical significance to Paisley so that a walk around the town is an education and appreciation of our past. Considering how much money local government waste its not too much to ask. Developers should have a remit when they renovate a building they insert a plaque about its significance on the outside for the public to see. This town is a walking museum full of history and most Buddies know little about it.

PICTURE 30 attached........

St. Margaret's at the top of Brodie Park was designed by architect John Hutchison and built in 1889 for businessman William Rowat.

Map

StMargarets.jpg

His daughter Jessie Rowat was born in Paisley in 1864. At a time when the local textile industry was producing high fashion items, she was the daughter of a manufacturer of the fine Paisley shawls inspired by eastern designs. Educated in Paisley and Edinburgh, she went on to study textile design and stained glass at the Glasgow School of Art. From 1886, she taught enamel work and mosaics at the Glasgow School of Art, and introduced embroidery into the curriculum. In 1889, Rowat married the Director of the art school, the Devon-born artist, Francis (Fra) Newbery and was able to establish with his support a Department of Embroidery. As a result, embroidery came to be regarded as a mainstream form of art with close links to other media.

stmargaretscushion.jpg

Edited by pod

I've posted this link before but probably not on this thread, but it deserves to be there.

Excellent source of information - comparing old and new Paisley:

http://www.alamoburn...s/Page17211.htm

There are 6 pages of information available.

Great photos Slash! ... Did you notice Santaponsasaint walking past the museum on page 5?

it was used as a prep school for st mirins academy in my day, half a term there before going into academy was the norm for those who were 12 before the start of a new school term

What happened to the pupils of St Mirin's & St Margarets when the school closed?

Pod has very eloquently told you all you need to know about PICTURE 30 - St Margaret's (no connection to the School), the mansion opposite Brodie Park.

PICTURE 31 is

post-2737-0-28708000-1332489333_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

It's the wee happy,clappy Church in George Place.You would see a very small front door if the white van wasn't parked there.

I think the Trophy Centre used to be situated in this building too.

What happened to the pupils of St Mirin's & St Margarets when the school closed?

I *think* they moved temporarily to the John Neilson building, and then amalgamated with St Andrews (previously Sacred Heart?)

Is St Andrews the only RC secondary left in the town?

I *think* they moved temporarily to the John Neilson building, and then amalgamated with St Andrews (previously Sacred Heart?)

Is St Andrews the only RC secondary left in the town?

When St Mirins/Margarets closed didn't lot's of those weans transfer to Trinity High in Renfrew, I know some of my cousins did. The actual St Mirin building became amalgated into Reid Kerr College around 1988 and was demolished after a fire last year. Sacred Heart became St Andrews when it merged with St Aeldreds after it's closure/demolition. The orignal Sacred Heart High dating only as far back as about 1970 or so was also demolished a few years ago and replaced with a brand new PFI financed building on the same site.

It's the wee happy,clappy Church in George Place.You would see a very small front door if the white van wasn't parked there.

I think the Trophy Centre used to be situated in this building too.

It has indeed been the wee happy church and trophy centre in the basement, but seem to recall it being a textile merchant's hoose back in the day.

That's a possibility Slash and I may do that. I have been thinking that I may try to publish a book of the photos with a brief paragraph outlining the significance of each picture. Dont know how much interest there would be though.

At the moment I have probably another 200 shots (at least!) still to put up on here and some more I have in mind so this thread will run for a while yet. smile.png

I was thinking you should do that I think there would be a lot of interest

Ages with me but I don't remember a Mr Gavin.I have sent my Sister a text and will get back to you.

I don't remember Mr Brown being "dreaded" either.Were you a bad boy?!!!

My mother worked in the School Office at the South School. Other names I remember from that time were the Deputy Head - Mrs Winning, Mrs McAinsh who was the School Secretary & Mrs Fairbrother who also worked in the Office - her husband was Crawford Fairbrother who represented Scotland in the High Jump at four Commonwealth Games. At his last Games in Edinburgh in 1970 he took the oath on behalf of all the participating athletes at the opening ceremony

PICTURE 31 correctly identified by HSS as 5 George Place. Built in the early 1800s and is B listed. Originally a merchant's house but I do not have any further details. Now used for various activities including the Happy Church, Trophy Centre, and Jewellery Repairs.

PICTURE 32 is in fact three related images. Many pages back someone asked about them so this is for you smile.png

post-2737-0-35907100-1332581633_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-88874700-1332581647_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-44258700-1332581714_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny