Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

True Sonny - I'm not convinced that the present generation are instilling the same sense of pride and history in the town that previous generations did. I remember my dad taking me up there to look at them while down the town one day - we went up the back way from St James's - that's a big hill for small legs!

I stayed in the West End and my family always came along Wellmeadow and along the High St into town but one day my Mother took us up Oakshaw to show us these cobble stones. I remember being a bit overawed at the beautiful buildings and surroundings of Oakshaw which was so close to the tenements of Well St but a different world.

Ooops - did I give the game away there?

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 31 correctly identified by HSS as 5 George Place. Built in the early 1800s and is B listed. Originally a merchant's house but I do not have any further details. Now used for various activities including the Happy Church, Trophy Centre, and Jewellery Repairs.

PICTURE 32 is in fact three related images. Many pages back someone asked about them so this is for you smile.png

Well as far as the story goes, these three symbols made in the grounds of the High Kirk represent the heart, glasses and hanky ??? of a workman who fell from the roof and died during construction or repair of the steeple. The representations were made by fellow craftsmen in tribute and roughly show where each of the dead chap's personal effects fell. Either that or it was a primitive form of forensics !

Well as far as the story goes, these three symbols made in the grounds of the High Kirk represent the heart, glasses and hanky ??? of a workman who fell from the roof and died during construction or repair of the steeple.

He would have had to be a jumper to land there from the tower.... come to think of it, he'd have had to have been a better jumper than Bob Beamon... Edited by bluto

It's this bloody iPad (birthday pressie). It won't use capitals when I want one, I keep hitting the return by mistake, it's auto correcting when I don't want it to, and not doing it when it should......and I'm having distinct problems using the emoticons so I feel like I'm having to watch what I type cause I can't always use the appropriate 'tongue in cheek' smilie.

(that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Ie: don't be expecting any improvement in the spelling.

Edited by Eddy

He would have had to be a jumper to land there from the tower.... come to think of it, he'd have had to have been a better jumper than Bob Beamon...

I guess it wouldn't have been as 'wheelchair accessible' a visitor curio if they'd done it on the roof he bounced off first... whistling.gif

Continuing the history theme, if you use Google Earth you can now slide back time to view old aeriel photographs and compare them to what it looks like today (where available). Also if there happens to be any 3D buildings on the bit you're viewing you can add them to the old photos exactly where they stand now, So seeing as someone very nicely created a 3D model of St Mirren Park, here it is rendered in 1945 exactly across the old Logan Drive that ran right along the length of the pitch. Try it for yourself, Glasgow Airport is quite interesting too...

SMFC1945.jpg

Edited by FS

He would have had to be a jumper to land there from the tower.... come to think of it, he'd have had to have been a better jumper than Bob Beamon...

Funny you say that as I faintly remember discussing this many years ago on this very spot. My early engineers eye couldn't see how this individual could have landed on the spot.

Maybe this was the only place his workmates could find to make the gesture?

Edited by faraway saint

True Sonny - I'm not convinced that the present generation are instilling the same sense of pride and history in the town that previous generations did. I remember my dad taking me up there to look at them while down the town one day - we went up the back way from St James's - that's a big hill for small legs!

I remember my mum taking my big sister and me up to show us. I was almost kind of awestruck by the story. When my dad came home that night it was back to earth when he gave his verdict. 'A load of sh**e!'

I remember my mum taking my big sister and me up to show us. I was almost kind of awestruck by the story. When my dad came home that night it was back to earth when he gave his verdict. 'A load of sh**e!'

I think your Dad's theory was as wrong as the falling builder theory. And for the same reason.

Even after a vindaloo, I couldnae crap as far away from the tower as that.

Edited by bluto

You are all getting too good at recognising the buildings/places of interest so I'll use more clues....

This is an easy one even with a clue....

PICTURE 33

I think most will get it. All of us who were brought up in Glenburn or Foxbar used the Braes as our playground. Remember the wee tearoom?

Cant say I do Rick. I remember going to this place every Easter as a kid (walking from the West End) and it was very busy with us kids rolling our painted eggs. Seemed very exciting at the time with loads of folk walking up and down the hill. Only after the rolling of the eggs did we have our picnic (or pieces as we called them).

I was told once, don't know if there is any truth in it, that someone died here is an urban myth.

Of course we all believe that the circles represent a pair of glasses but they actually represent the bicycle the guy was on when he fell off the church.