Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

You are all getting too good at recognising the buildings/places of interest so I'll use more clues....

This is an easy one even with a clue....

PICTURE 33

Used to be a great wee tea room beside it. Shame they pulled it down.Used to get my pocky hat or ice lolly there.

Cant say I do Rick. I remember going to this place every Easter as a kid (walking from the West End) and it was very busy with us kids rolling our painted eggs. Seemed very exciting at the time with loads of folk walking up and down the hill. Only after the rolling of the eggs did we have our picnic (or pieces as we called them).

That was quite a walk. We used to go up at Easter to roll our eggs. Nothing as common as pieces for Glenburn boys. Cucumber sandwiches, with the crusts cut off, don't you know. Actually we used to take cans of beans and warm them up on a fire. They were good days. I don't remember it ever raining but I suppose it must have.

Thanks for the pics of the stonemasons stuff Sonny. I meant to ask if you can find the date in the stone in the wall of the John Neilson school? If you cant i,ll tell you where it is.

No bother slartibardfast. I havent really inspected the complete building. just general external shots so where is the stone with the date on it?

Here is a bigger pic of the Bonnie Wee Well. It is dedicated to Hugh MacDonald the Glasgow poet. Biography as follows -

Hugh MacDonald

1817 - 1860

Author, poet, naturalist and chartist. Born in Bridgeton (Glasgow), MacDonald was the eldest of eleven children. He began work as an apprentice block engraver at the Barrowfield calico-printing works. His early experiences brought him into sympathy with the Chartist movement. He wrote articles on social and political issues and was appointed to the Glasgow Citizen newspaper, rising to become a Sub-Editor. He is perhaps best remembered for his Rambles Round Glasgow, first published 1854. These described walks taken by himself and his friends around Glasgow and were replete with observations of the countryside and the natural world. Some of these walks are now way-marked in Gleniffer Braes Country Park.

MacDonald lies buried in the Southern Necropolis and is commemorated by a fountain in Glasgow Green known as the Bonnie Wee Well. MacDonald had described Glasgow Green in his Rambles as a "spacious and beautiful public park, with wide-spreading lawns, picturesque groups of trees, far-winding walks, numerous delicious springs, and, above all, a rich command of scenery."

McDonald’s ‘Bonnie Wee Well’ has always attracted large numbers of visitors, young and old alike enjoying the fine views and the fresh air to be had at the top of the Braes. The original memorial to him was therefore set on the Braes by the Glasgow Ramblers Club, but due to several instances of vandalism they removed it to a new site on Glasgow Green. MacDonald’s Paisley admirers, headed by the ‘Old Weavers Society’, thereupon got together to pay for a new memorial. It was unveiled by Robert Cochran, Treasurer of the Council, in 1883.

The inscription on the Well is verse 4 from his poem The Bonnie Wee Well -

The bonnie wee well on the breist o’ the brae,

Where the hare steals to drink in the gloamin’ sae gray,

Where the wild moorlan’ birds dip their nebs and tak’ wing,

And the lark weets his whistle ere mounting to sing.

MacDonald was a great fan of Robert Tannahill and this poem was dedicated to Tannahill.

post-2737-0-03999600-1332748171_thumb.jp

Newark House

Built by Thomas Greenlees for his new American wife. The Greenlees were local businessmen. The house was added to and is now private apartments.

Probably how they made their fortune:

The Greenlees at Netherton (26 Main Road) were related to the J. & P. Coats dynasty and their own family fortune was based on Rule and Greenlees, large-scale manufacturers of cotton and gingham clothing in the East End of Glasgow. It was a natural progression for major importers of textiles from the Far East to run their own ships and they set up the Netherton Shipping Company.

Thomas was one the sons.

Edited by pod

The guy who was the architect of this building, Russell Institute, RAI, Woodside Crematorium and the Arnotts builiding in Paisley was called - James Steel Maitland.

What a cracking middle name!

Born in 1887 - died in 1982 - some innings.

http://www.scottisha...l.php?id=100087 - other interesting ties to the town.

James Steel Maitland was born at Strone, Argyllshire, on 27 August 1887, of a well-connected family, his mother Kate Coats Steel being an adopted sister of the thread magnate George H Coats. His father James Maitland was a master grocer with a substantial business.

Would appear anyone of importance or wealth in those day's,was either married too or related to the Coats or Clarks dynasty

Edited by pod

Paisley has many mansions and unfortunately some of the most luxurious and extensive have been pulled down however there are still a few good ones left. I wont be featuring all Paisley mansions (well for now anyway) but just the biggies that the public can at least look at from the outside without being done for trespass.

I think Dynasty is the correct word to use when talking about Coats and Clark and there were many other notable worthies.

And JS Maitland although not local should be considered an honourable Buddie for his design of so many fine Paisley Buildings.

Every day is a school day on here :) . Thanks for the above info guys.

Paisley has many mansions and unfortunately some of the most luxurious and extensive have been pulled down however there are still a few good ones left. I wont be featuring all Paisley mansions (well for now anyway) but just the biggies that the public can at least look at from the outside without being done for trespass.

I think Dynasty is the correct word to use when talking about Coats and Clark and there were many other notable worthies.

And JS Maitland although not local should be considered an honourable Buddie for his design of so many fine Paisley Buildings.

Every day is a school day on here smile.png . Thanks for the above info guys.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Then you could give us some inside shots of the jail Sonny. thumbup2.gif

Best picture I can find of the Jail in colour:

http://www.paisleyph...IMG_0106(1).jpg

Slash, that photo is actually the old county buildings. The balcony on it is where Davy Lapsley famously asked 'Who was it that won the Scottish Cup?' in 1959. The jail was behind the county buildings and from memory there was an entrance to the right of the county buildings which served the jail and the old polis office.

Great photo all the same.

Of course you are correct - there are a couple elsewhere on this site:

http://canmore.rcahm...ngs+and+prison/

Shame more have not been uploaded.

It was an absolute tragedy that the old prison was demolished and I agree with whoever said on here that the councillors who let it happen should have been locked up in the old place. Typical 1960's thinking, not that councillors have improved over the years.

When I was at Camphill, the assistant rector(Headmaster) was a bloke called Thomas MacCrossan. Don't want to speak ill of the dead but I hated his guts. The one thing I ever admired him for was canvassing against the closure of the old prison. He campaigned really hard but you know councillors. Once they have made up their minds for their own devious purposes, they will never change their minds.

It was an absolute tragedy that the old prison was demolished and I agree with whoever said on here that the councillors who let it happen should have been locked up in the old place. Typical 1960's thinking, not that councillors have improved over the years.

When I was at Camphill, the assistant rector(Headmaster) was a bloke called Thomas MacCrossan. Don't want to speak ill of the dead but I hated his guts. The one thing I ever admired him for was canvassing against the closure of the old prison. He campaigned really hard but you know councillors. Once they have made up their minds for their own devious purposes, they will never change their minds.

Don't remember that name Rick, I'm sure it was "Bertie" Miller was the assisatnt when I was there. Gym teacher, big bugger who was keen to dish out the belt.

Don't remember that name Rick, I'm sure it was "Bertie" Miller was the assisatnt when I was there. Gym teacher, big bugger who was keen to dish out the belt.

Wee Mac, as MacCrossan was known probably retired not long after I left. The PE teacher when I was there was the famous Rusty Hutton but he died suddenly, in the gym one night playing squash. The Miller in our day was a psychopath of a technical teacher. Four of us tried to escape down the brae one day and the big bugger caught us. He took us back in the school and we each got six of the best. The whole school heard it as I'm sure you'll remember the way the noise echoed inside the old school.

Well done Slash, some great stuff there. I was aware of the Paisley Mansions site and had found a link to the other site but could never get the link to work so assumed it had vanished. Some great shots on there.

I remember Wee Mac and a gym teacher called Miller but that was in the new Camphill.

Well done Slash, some great stuff there. I was aware of the Paisley Mansions site and had found a link to the other site but could never get the link to work so assumed it had vanished. Some great shots on there.

I remember Wee Mac and a gym teacher called Miller but that was in the new Camphill.

It was indeed Sonny, I forgot Rick is auld enough to be ma dad. whistling.gif

It was indeed Sonny, I forgot Rick is auld enough to be ma dad. whistling.gif

What the hell have you been on? I was quite active when I was a young teenager but always careful. The PE teacher I knew was Ian Miller. He was at Stanely Green at one time, possibly when Ian Riddell was there too. He was Archie Gemmil's teacher. I think he did go to Camphill later but I don't know if it was the real Camphill or the fake.

post-8660-0-51871800-1332776070_thumb.jp

The Taxi rank in the centre of the square was built when the railway station opened in 1840. Before then, cabs were not available for hire in the street and had to be sent for.

The small shelter seen in this picture was known as the 'Cabman's Rest'. It provided non-alcoholic refreshments for the cab drivers and was donated in 1877 by Mrs Jane Arthur of Barshaw. This was in response to public concerns about cab drivers drinking in public houses between fares!

She also made donation for the poor house (Model).Arthur Street was named after her husband.

Sonny, if you go to the main gate and look at the stones between the main gate and under the old Janny,s house i,m sure you,ll see it. I think it says 1876.It was someplace to go to primary school in such a cool building. We went there when the old Craigilea school closed. I stayed in Blackstoun Oval and remember when they pulled the the Craigielea school down. They kept the big bell from the tower and it was in the foyer of the new Ferguslie school. Great thread by the way.

No bother slartibardfast. I havent really inspected the complete building. just general external shots so where is the stone with the date on it?

Here is a bigger pic of the Bonnie Wee Well. It is dedicated to Hugh MacDonald the Glasgow poet. Biography as follows -

Hugh MacDonald

1817 - 1860

Author, poet, naturalist and chartist. Born in Bridgeton (Glasgow), MacDonald was the eldest of eleven children. He began work as an apprentice block engraver at the Barrowfield calico-printing works. His early experiences brought him into sympathy with the Chartist movement. He wrote articles on social and political issues and was appointed to the Glasgow Citizen newspaper, rising to become a Sub-Editor. He is perhaps best remembered for his Rambles Round Glasgow, first published 1854. These described walks taken by himself and his friends around Glasgow and were replete with observations of the countryside and the natural world. Some of these walks are now way-marked in Gleniffer Braes Country Park.

MacDonald lies buried in the Southern Necropolis and is commemorated by a fountain in Glasgow Green known as the Bonnie Wee Well. MacDonald had described Glasgow Green in his Rambles as a "spacious and beautiful public park, with wide-spreading lawns, picturesque groups of trees, far-winding walks, numerous delicious springs, and, above all, a rich command of scenery."

McDonald’s ‘Bonnie Wee Well’ has always attracted large numbers of visitors, young and old alike enjoying the fine views and the fresh air to be had at the top of the Braes. The original memorial to him was therefore set on the Braes by the Glasgow Ramblers Club, but due to several instances of vandalism they removed it to a new site on Glasgow Green. MacDonald’s Paisley admirers, headed by the ‘Old Weavers Society’, thereupon got together to pay for a new memorial. It was unveiled by Robert Cochran, Treasurer of the Council, in 1883.

The inscription on the Well is verse 4 from his poem The Bonnie Wee Well -

The bonnie wee well on the breist o’ the brae,

Where the hare steals to drink in the gloamin’ sae gray,

Where the wild moorlan’ birds dip their nebs and tak’ wing,

And the lark weets his whistle ere mounting to sing.

MacDonald was a great fan of Robert Tannahill and this poem was dedicated to Tannahill.

spent many a summer up by the well and always enjoyed a drink from it, have you got a photo of the other well - tannahills' well