Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

post-8660-0-51871800-1332776070_thumb.jp

The small shelter seen in this picture was known as the 'Cabman's Rest'. It provided free non-alcoholic refreshments for the cab drivers and was donated in 1877 by Mrs Jane Arthur of Barshaw. This was in response to public concerns about cab drivers drinking in public houses between fares!

Apparently Shull's romantic letters proposing marriage, free pies and heavily subsidised season tickets for cab drivers were disposed of in the boating lake by Ms Arthur's butler...

Agree wi Willie.

Nurses used to stay in it.

I was never allowed "indoors"... Ooh matron... smile.png

I thought it was to house girls from the Highlands and the Isles that came to Paisley to work in the Coats Mills.

The nursing one your referring to, I think is in Oakshaw.

Edited by pod

I only know that I took two different women who were nurses back to there. Dunno the Oakshaw place. And there was also nursing accommodation up Calside, first entrance on left to RAI.

Memories... smile.png

You'll probably be right bluto.Apologises

I was thinking more it's original use.

Building News 1 November 1901 Page 587

'PAISLEY._ In memory of Mrs Archibald Coats, who took a warm interest in the Scottish Girls' Friendly Society, a club and institute, to be used in connection with the society's operations at Paisley, have been erected in New_street, and. the buildings were formally opened last week by Lady Georgina Home Drummond. The main building will be utilised as a club, while adjoining it is the institute, which will be devoted to educational purposes. The ground floor 0:1 the._ club' contains the matron's apartments, dining: and sitting_rooms for residents, besides kitchen, and laundry accommodation. The first floor has five single_bedded rooms, two rooms with four beds in each, and two rooms divided by screens into four cubicles each. The second floor is similar in arrangement, and both are equipped with lavatory accommodation. The educational institution stands back 30 feet from New_street. On the ground floor are two classrooms, measuring 19 feet by 18 feet, and 18feet by 15:feet, separated by a sliding partition, so that the two rooms can be thrown into one when occasion requires. There are also cloakrooms and lavatory. Upstairs, the first floor is similarly arranged, with addition of superintendent's retiring_room. The buildings are erected of Locharbriggs red stone, style being a free treatment of the Scottish domestic type of architecture. Mr T G. Abercombie, Paisley; was the architect.'

Edited by pod

I only know that I took two different women who were nurses back to there. Dunno the Oakshaw place. And there was also nursing accommodation up Calside, first entrance on left to RAI.

Memories... smile.png

It was apparently girls from almost anywhere including the highlands and islands but they had all managed to get in the family way. No abortion in those days so they were sent far from home to hush it up and avoid shame in the family. That was very commonly believed and I always though it was true. The two nurses you took back there,Bluto, were maybe the only two who weren't pregnant. At least at the start of the night.

I think Paisleys homeless females were put up in that building in the 80s.

they were indeed my sister in law was put up in there when she left my brother and was disowned by her family, i was sent to do some work there in the 80's and was quized as to "what school i went to" by the woman who ran it , she was not happy when i said st mirins academy !

I think Pod gave all the info you need from the Clue to PICTURE 34 - The Scotch Girls Home in Weighhouse Close.

Just for the record here is PICTURE 34 (first image)

PICTURE 35 is one building on a site that has several great buildings which will all appear in due course so could we just comment on the building in question smile.png

post-2737-0-95058000-1332920689_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-01367800-1332920702_thumb.jp