Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 49 for me is Canal St Church otherwise known as Castlehead Church. I am so saddened to see that it has now closed as it was a large part of my family life when growing up. My BB Company were there (The Famous and Great 20th) and my mother would drag us to Sunday School every week. Later I went to a Youth Club there. Great and happy childhood memories of that place including the great Xmas parties in the Church Hall for the weans.

Some general info:

Built 1781 (but you already knew that) by donations from the Paisley Weavers. It was the Weavers Church in Paisley. C Listed. Graveyard has graves of Robert Tannahill , past ministers, merchants and the mass graves of the 1823 cholera epidemic.

The closing down of Canal St Church ...

http://www.paisleyda...87085-27650069/

More info on the Church and Castlehead http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Castlehead

I hope a good use can be found for the building and the graveyard is kept in good condition as it is now unfortunately attracting the neds.

PICTURE 49 is second image.

For today (it should have been yesterday but for that Div character who closed the site), I will not insult anyone's intelligence with a CLUE.

As its our 50th image I will celebrate it with one of Paisley's iconic buildings. Let's just admire it ....

PICTURE 50

post-2737-0-76752300-1334310332_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-22092100-1334310803_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

That's a smashing picture Sonny! Very nicely taken.

Anyone any interesting facts or titbits about the Abbey? (apart from the usual I mean).

I know someone posted the 'Alien' gargoyle before - and another is of the grim reaper.....and there is even one of a pig.

That's a smashing picture Sonny! Very nicely taken.

Anyone any interesting facts or titbits about the Abbey? (apart from the usual I mean).

I know someone posted the 'Alien' gargoyle before - and another is of the grim reaper.....and there is even one of a pig.

This alien gargoyle...? lol.gif

AbbeyAlien.jpg

I am not sure if any photos exist from the time, but I remember in the mid 80s the playgroup building (now the Rowantree Cafe) in Barshaw Park, was covered in grafitti with ROCK CITY being one the main bits fo text and the rest was all other sorts of stuff, I vaguely remember hearing at the time that it was in fact breakdancing fanatics who were responible for it!

Backchat was near the entrance to Forbes Place but as I remember there was another place that was just a bar , that sat almost on the crved section of that building . It was a typical mid 8ts type place with fancy couches and decor and some great music playing all day. .

The pub was called Cannes IIRC

It's in Castle Street, isn't it? What makes me think I may have the wrong place is...

there's usually a Union Jack Fluttering proudly outside... unsure.png

You are right Bluto. There will be a few buddies (?) who wont recognise that building :).

Out of all my shots I havent yet taken that one in Castle St for some reason ..... I keep shaking as I get close to it.

Have you checked for death certificates on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk Rick?

If you register, you can enter the details and perform a search - you don't actually have to pay for any credits until you find what you are looking for (you wont be able to see the cause of death, etc until you pay, but should be able to see enough information to determine if you have the right person)

(Edit: They've changed it a little since I used it last - but if only 1 match is returned then I guess you know its the right one)

Have you checked for death certificates on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk Rick?

If you register, you can enter the details and perform a search - you don't actually have to pay for any credits until you find what you are looking for (you wont be able to see the cause of death, etc until you pay, but should be able to see enough information to determine if you have the right person)

(Edit: They've changed it a little since I used it last - but if only 1 match is returned then I guess you know its the right one)

Yes, tried it Elaine. Because it was pre-1855 we have to rely on old parish registers. Unfortunately a few of us have tried everything we can think of but no success. The burial book from the church for that period apparently went missing around the 1950's. Galling that.

Well spotted FS - fountain in Hawkhead Cemetery - and thanks Pod for the info as I know nothing about this unusual little edifice.

PICTURE 51 attached.

PICTURE 52 CLUE .....second image.

former ikon nightclub, used to be part of the telephone exchange building i think, there is still a telephone exchange next to it on old sneddon street Edited by buddiecat

Well spotted FS - fountain in Hawkhead Cemetery - and thanks Pod for the info as I know nothing about this unusual little edifice.

PICTURE 51 attached.

PICTURE 52 CLUE .....second image.

Telephone exchange too easy (although I'll bet others got there first)

Edited by insaintee