Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Staffa Dr just off Fairway Ave. I used to delivery groceries out of the co-op at Skye Cresc after school. Seems like a past life now. All the streets around Staffa are now demolished.

i feel i should know you, but i didn't know many folk who lived on staffa drive, you are about 7 years younger than me right enough, if you posted your correct d o b that is

103 Glenfield Road for me,was born in that middle flat in the good old tenement.The b******s have knocked it down now.Great memories,the Sunday Market,helping out with Watt's horses at the bottom of Glenfield are two of my favourites.Coming down in the Summer to spend a week going round a lot of the places mentioned in this terrific thread.

Great work Sonny,keep it up...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

How are you doing as well Buddiecat ????

103 Glenfield Road for me,was born in that middle flat in the good old tenement.The b******s have knocked it down now.Great memories,the Sunday Market,helping out with Watt's horses at the bottom of Glenfield are two of my favourites.Coming down in the Summer to spend a week going round a lot of the places mentioned in this terrific thread.

doing fine mr D thanks, hope alls well in sneckie and in the deep blue sea

Glenfield Rd was a brilliant place to grow up in the 60's and 70's we had many great adventures in the glen park.tongue.png

Well done Bluto, Eddy et al. PICTURE 54 is Paisley Technical College

Summary: B Listed. T G Abercrombie (know to his fans as TG) , architect 1898.

This can trace its origins back to a Philosophical Institution founded in the town in 1808 by Peter and Thomas Coats, of J. and P. Coats Ltd, sewing cotton manufacturers. By 1838 this had become Paisley School of Arts, and by 1904 it had become Paisley Technical College and School of Art. In 1950 it became Paisley College of Technology with Arts being dropped., and during the 1960s this expanded onto a 20 acre site close to the centre of the town. In 1992 it became the University of Paisley and 2007 the University of the West of Scotland.

Wiki:

At the time of the Industrial Revolution Paisley was renowned for thread weaving. The Coats mill was run by two brothers, Peter and Thomas Coats. These men, children of the Age of Enlightenment espoused liberal ideals and became noted philanthropists. As members of the Philosophical Institution, founded in 1808 the Coats donated a museum and library to the town, funded the building of the Coats observatory and promoted education throughout Paisley.[4][5]

The Philosophical Institution, helped establish the School of Arts in 1836, which become a Government School of Design in 1846, one of twenty similar institutions established in UK manufacturing centres from 1837-1851. They were set up to improve the quality of the country's product design through training in design for industry. Peter Coats was director of both Paisley Philosophical Institution and the Government School of Design. Later, the Design schools were renamed Schools of Art, and once again as Schools of Art and Science.

In 1897 Princess Louise laid the foundation stone of a grand new building for the College. The design was the winner of an architectural competition and partially funded by local industrialists (Peter Brough, and Thomas Coats both contributed).

By the start of the twentieth century, Paisley Technical College and School of Art, (as it was known from 1904) was a centre for teaching the University of London External Programme. Perhaps the most famous principal of the College was Lewis Fry Richardson, FRS principal from 1922 to 1940. A mathematician, physicist, meteorologist, psychologist and pacifist who pioneered modern mathematical techniques of weather forecasting, as well as the application of similar techniques to studying war. He also carried out ground breaking work on fractals.

Throughout the first half of the century the institution had a financial struggle. After the second world war Central Institution status provided a regular Government income but unfortunately also meant closing the school of Art, and ceding students to Glasgow School of Art. The new entity thus became Paisley College of Technology; a Government funded Central Institution in 1950. In the 1960s a large physical expansion took place alongside the Neo-Classical original building on the main 20 acre (81,000 m²) Paisley town centre site.

At the time Paisley, in common with other Central Institutions and the former Polytechnics, already offered a range of degrees under the Council for National Academic Awards. With the Further and Higher Education Act of 1992, the Paisley College of Technology was granted the title University of Paisley. Today, this institution forms Paisley Campus of the University.

PICTURE 55 CLUE is second image (see the connection?)

post-2737-0-61054400-1334738062_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-69771100-1334738300_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I think the picture is a little misleading as it says 'nursing home' but according to the interwebs it was a home for nurses.

Last time I paid any attention it was student accommodation.

Seemingly it's now a self catering let and has been moved to Glasgow!? Astounding that the owners are renting it out and fail to mention that it is in fact in Paisley.

clicky

Well done to everyone who read the plaque on image 55 and worked out the building was a Nursing Home. smile.png Or home for nurses to be more accurate as the term had a different connotation back in 1897. B Listed.

'When Peter Brough (PB) died in July 1883 he was one of the wealthiest men in Paisley and the effect of his wealth continues today with an active charity in his name that focuses on what is now Paisley University.

PB was born on 25th September1797, not in Paisley but at Old Scone near Perth where he was later apprenticed to a draper. Later he moved to a drapers business in Glasgow, part of which was a small shop in Paisley High Street and a young PB was sent to operate it. It was not doing very well and the owner persuaded PB to buy it. While he was reluctant, he worked hard at the business and it expanded and developed so well he had to move to a bigger shop at 96 High Street. Within a few years he had six shops, three in Paisley.

While the shop did well PB made most of his money from shrewd investments, for example in the private railway companies that abounded at that time. He was also a strong believer in God, became involved in local politics, became a Justice of the Peace and a Director of Paisley Water Company.

PB lived in a mansion in Oakshaw until he died in 1883. After his will was published his trustees arranged for it to be demolished and the Peter Brough Nurses Home to be built. Thomas Graham (TG) Abercrombie was retained and he designed the four storey building in the Scottish Baronial style using red stone from Dumfriesshire. And it was powered by electricity!

The main feature of the front elevation is the tower, with its gated entrance. Inside there was a small office and matrons sitting room and at the end of the passage there was a dining room and drawing room, really one room split by a collapsible partition. This opened out onto a small balcony where the nurses could take the air! On the floors above there were 6 rooms where the nurses stayed and on the floor below were the servants quarters and kitchen. Perhaps there were two nurses in each room as otherwise it would have been very expensive. Where did they work, presumably at the Paisley Infirmary?

The home was opened by Princess Louise, one of Queen Victoria’s daughters who had married Marquess of Lorne, eldest son of the Duke of Argyll in 1871, on 30th November 1897. On the same day she went on to lay the foundation stone of the Paisley Technical School, (also designed by T G Abercrombie) a project promulgated by PB’s trustees. The school evolved into a College and later into Paisley University.

Once Brough Hall was no longer needed as a nurses home it was used as student halls before being sold for redevelopment into flats/apartments.

PB is buried at Woodside Cemetary, his grave marked by a statuary (carved) angel.'

PICTURE 55 is the first image.

PICTURE 56 CLUE is the second image (with no wording to help you out but I know you will get it anyway!)

PS There should be a plaque up somewhere in memory of old TG - where would Paisley have been without him? :)

post-2737-0-87766000-1334827204_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-37754800-1334827544_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I once started a thread about "Public clocks in Paisley".Wonder if Its still in the archives?

I didn't start the thread,it was Reidy.March 2004 but I don't know how to transfer it to this thread using my phone.