Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 55 is the first image.

PICTURE 56 CLUE is the second image (with no wording to help you out but I know you will get it anyway!)

PS There should be a plaque up somewhere in memory of old TG - where would Paisley have been without him? smile.png

Image 55 is a cracker Sonny. Have you got a pic of the rear of the building?

Good 'cos aw the auld pensioners with nothing better to do during the day always post spoilers. thumbup2.gif

I've recognised a good few and didn't let on although I think I gave one away accidentally. A couple I was convinced I knew were wrong. Some I should know. I'm sure you all know what it's like when it's right there on the tip of your tongue but you can't quite get it.

I love today's building! (Was it yesterday's) Lovely wee set of flats now and just along the road from my humble abode... Sonny, you featuring any more Ferguslie Mills buildings...?!

Dont worry ktf yours will appear in due course (assuming you havent been evicted by then) :)

PICTURE 56 is the Bridge Lane Gatehouse (or also known as West Gate in one source I found) of the formerly Ferguslie Mills. B listed and built in 1887. Now flats. There are some good images here http://canmore.rcahm...e thread works/ of it in a derelict state when the Mills were pulled down (shame on the Council!).

PICTURE 56 is first image.

PICTURE 57 CLUE is the second image. This will have to keep you all amused until Sunday due to the lateness of this image and I'm out all day tomorrow. smile.png Enjoy the game guys!

PS Sorry Sid I dont have a shot of the rear of the Brough Nursing Home but next time I am up in Oakshaw I'll see if I can get one for you. (For some buildings I have a couple of viewpoints but I usually only post one. In this case I only have frontal shots).

post-2737-0-61990600-1334948846_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-15106900-1334948944_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 57 is the former Clydesdale Bank now a pub. Because it is so dirty, with the netting over it and looking a bit the worse for wear it may be difficult to appreciate that this is an A Listed building. Architects Craig Barr and Cook. Circa 1910. Beaux Arts Renaissance 4-storey 4-bay Bank. A wee clean-up would work wonders on this building.

I have a vague memory of it being a bank and being in it once as a kid and if my memory serves me well it was like going back in time to a previous era - all polished wood with metal grills and a man in uniform at the door. Have a few more interesting memories of it being a pub :)

PICTURE 58 CLUE is attached (second image).

post-2737-0-29671900-1335090624_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-93439700-1335091110_thumb.jp

Robin Hood got married there. The bell tower is very unusual. It's a bit of a hatchet job as the original was deemed unsafe - hance it being so different from the rest of the building, but I actually quite like it.

i think when you see the whole picture then the new part looks out of place obviously because it was a very recent addition because the old bell tower was about to land on glasgow road, it could have been done in a more complimentary way imo

Cheers Slash. Glad you are enjoying the journey. Me too! This thread has also radicalised me. The more I investigate and find things out the more pissed off I get at the Cooncil for the destruction of fantastic old buildings even in my lifetime. I now hope that all this stops and at least with the Internet public opinion can be galvanised better than it was in the past to protest and protect these monuments to our heritage. Admittedly The Grading of Buildings for their protection is more recent legislation however the Coonsilours could have used a bit of forward thinking in the way that Coats and Clark and others famous Buds did.

If anyone has internal shots of any of the buildings already featured then fire away. I would prefer if a building has not been featured that we wait until it does as its time will come otherwise this thread will become rather chaotic. I know of one poster on this thread who lives in a converted Mill building so I hope that he/she can post images after it has been featured. And of course at Doors Open Day I will be running around like a scalded rabbit trying to see and photograph as many as I can from the inside.

My interest prompted me to yesterday visit the Mill Museum in Seedhill before the Pars game. It is small but interesting especially the photos and free so worth a wee look if you are passing. Details here ... http://www.paisleythreadmill.co.uk/

PS I am thinking of starting a campaign to re-introduce the railings around Dunn Square and make it an amazing garden like it once was and be protected overnight. We'll see. Maybe the CiC (or CO-OP or whatever we become) can get involved!

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 58 is the Sherwood Church in Glasgow Road. B Listed. Built in 1891-2 by James Donald, with additions being carried out in 1927. The unique slender spire was removed in the recent past due to it being unsafe and replaced by a copper dome over the bells and without its clockface. More info on its history here http://www.sherwoodgreenlaw.org.uk/

PICTURE 58 is the first image. The wee thumbnail of the Church with the old spire shows just how much has been chopped off it eliminating it from the Paisley skyline.

PICTURE 59 CLUE is the second image.

post-2737-0-04187800-1335182280_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-91484700-1335182586_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-57190500-1335183037_thumb.jp