Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Some of you identified PICTURE 62 as 6 Hunter St. Originally(?) the 'Buroo' in the days before Job Centres and Social security were separate. It then became the Student Union of Paisley Tech before becoming flats. If I have missed out anything please elaborate.

Unfortunately I know little else about this building so again if anyone has more info then feel free to comment.

PICTURE 63 CLUE is the second image....

post-2737-0-20685400-1335614719_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-09217700-1335614748_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Sorry about the delay guys - I had a game to go to today.

All together now 'YMCA....YMCA...' smile.png . PICTURE 63 is another B Listed building by the great TG. Built in 1908.

Not really too sure what the building is used for now. I know that Reid Kerr use a part of it. Only been in it once. I assume in the past that a Photographer used part of the building or got himself a great advertising billboard.

PICTURE 64 CLUE is the 4th image.

EDIT: Got my numbers mixed up - correct now.

post-2737-0-44603100-1335723011_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-33204800-1335723065_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-52355000-1335723130_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-68894900-1335723423_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Okay , I might be wrong but I quite certain , that picture 64 is a building in Charleston . I'm sure it sits on the corner of Stock Strasse and Neilston Road . .aye? No ?

Mrs V reckoned it was up there too....always thought there was a clock on top of the building there? What's the story behind the Charleston Drum?

Okay , I might be wrong but I quite certain , that picture 64 is a building in Charleston . I'm sure it sits on the corner of Stock Strasse and Neilston Road . .aye? No ?

I'm sure if you look back through the topic you'll find that building has already been featured, and it does Indeed feature a clock

Mrs V reckoned it was up there too....always thought there was a clock on top of the building there? What's the story behind the Charleston Drum?

Image 29 was the South Clock and the Charleston Drum is mentioned in relation to the Dooslan Stane (Image 42). Brought back from Waterloo (allegedly) and used to 'drum up' meetings of our militant weavers at the Dooslan Stane. Around Pages 29 and 42.

Edited by Sonny

The top floor (like artists studios) had great light - so could/would be used for exactly the same reasons...... there also used to be a photographers just behind the Co-op Halls - entered IIRC from Orchard Street. Walked thru and upstairs to the studio...

That's right. I remember the entrance in Orchard St and every wedding photo in the wee express was that photographer. Cant remember the name though.

PICTURE 64 was correctly identified by Insaintee as the Stock St Public Baths. Designed (again) by the great TG it was built in 1898 and the only Baths Building left in Paisley. More recently most of you may know it as Monty's Snooker Hall. Its time as a Baths appears to have been brief. It was built as an extension to the Gleniffer Laundry and by 1913 it had become a foundry. In the 1940s it was used by a building contractor.

PICTURE 65 CLUE is the first image.

post-2737-0-38242800-1335804585_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-27761800-1335804805_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny