Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I think it was an old army barracks

I know this one from my delving into local history......the whitehaugh barracks were built 1819 to house infantry. There was also a second barracks that housed militia on the southside of Williamsburg - now wegiescumbag road. The infantry were there to keep the wegiescumbags out. The militia were there to tackle the weavers who were prone to uprisings round about that time - after the French revolution. The weavers were considered radicals and some were hung for fighting for their rights. The town's chalk full of monuments to them and rightly so.

I know this one from my delving into local history......the whitehaugh barracks were built 1819 to house infantry. There was also a second barracks that housed militia on the southside of Williamsburg - now wegiescumbag road. The infantry were there to keep the wegiescumbags out. The militia were there to tackle the weavers who were prone to uprisings round about that time - after the French revolution. The weavers were considered radicals and some were hung for fighting for their rights. The town's chalk full of monuments to them and rightly so.

God bless Google.

I walk by that building several times a week going to my grans and have often wondered what it was, occasionally see a guy coming oot for a smoke. I thought the army caderts place was the big hut area behind the whitehaugh centre, off glasgow road?

Hi guys. Although not posting every day I did mean to post earlier than this but good weather then trying to catch up with my work because of it means I have only now got round to posting another wee image to keep you all ticking over. PICTURE 80 (a, not much of a) CLUE is ,,,,,

And thanks for the info on the Barracks in Whitehaugh. All new info for me.

post-2737-0-80623900-1338404598_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Hi guys. Although not posting every day I did mean to post earlier than this but good weather then trying to catch up with my work because of it means I have only now got round to posting another wee image to keep you all ticking over. PICTURE 80 (a, not much of a) CLUE is ,,,,,

And thanks for the info on the Barracks in Whitehaugh. All new info for me.

flats etc, above shops at top of moss street opposite cenotaph ?

i remember being in the store area above what used to be mcdougalls book shop, i was repairing some of the windows, some years later my cousin took over the running of mcdougalls before he had to close because of lack of custom due to the rundown of the town centre, i know a lot about windows (and not through licking them, before anybody suggests such)

i remember being in the store area above what used to be mcdougalls book shop, i was repairing some of the windows, some years later my cousin took over the running of mcdougalls before he had to close because of lack of custom due to the rundown of the town centre, i know a lot about windows (and not through licking them, before anybody suggests such)

Are those flats actually that old? Were they refurbished from an old building or was it a new build on the site?

Difficult to tell from this old image of the Tolbooth before it got demolished but I might be convinced that the shot we are seeing IS of old buildings from the same date as the Tolbooth....

http://www.historica...isley-tolbooth/

Though which of the rebuild dates that might be, is anyBuddie's guess.... ohmy.png

Didnae realise that was where the tollbooth was - always thought it was further east. I think this old pic shows the building on the left from the top of moos street?

IMG_0059(1).jpg

The building on the left was the replacement of the tollbooth. Still there.

I thought it was the building but had a wee doubt that it might have been further down the street.....does that mean everything on the right was taken away for the cenotaph....is there a story there about bombings or was it just time for those buildings to be cleared....please advise as the correspondent on the ground at the time. whistling.gif

I thought it was the building but had a wee doubt that it might have been further down the street.....does that mean everything on the right was taken away for the cenotaph....is there a story there about bombings or was it just time for those buildings to be cleared....please advise as the correspondent on the ground at the time. whistling.gif

Here's a before and after image.

http://www.alamoburnsclub.org.uk/index_files/Page17211.htm

Scroll down to the 4th.

The only bombings were in the WE.

In the turn of century pic, there were Temperance cafes in that block - for me, well worthy of demolition.

Sid - I think there was mention before on this thread that the gate into the town was situated at the bottom of School Wynd - maybe this is what you were thinking of? I assume the toll booth and gate served the same purpose - although I'm not clear if they ever existed at the same time or if the building of the toll booth replaced the need for the gate.

From "British Listed Buildings" - with special mention of windows for Buddiecat.

Earlier 19th century. Terrace of 3 tenements each 4 storeys and 3 bays. Ashlar. Shops mainly modern to ground floor with band course above, moulded string course over 2nd floor. Sash windows mainly with 6-panes in upper sash and 2 in lower. Eaves cornice with blocking course over centre 3 bays (no 3). Slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Appears on Knox 1822 town plan.

Edited by Eddy

Sid - I think there was mention before on this thread that the gate into the town was situated at the bottom of School Wynd - maybe this is what you were thinking of? I assume the toll booth and gate served the same purpose - although I'm not clear if they ever existed at the same time or if the building of the toll booth replaced the need for the gate.

From "British Listed Buildings" - with special mention of windows for Buddiecat.

ah yes - now note the deliberate mistake in the new refurbished windows , the listed building folk at historic scotland must have missed it or gave special permission for the change.

PICTURE 80 is 1-5 Moss Street. A row of tenements built nearly 200 years ago in 1822. Category B Listed. (Second image).

(Note that my old house in Glenburn was demolished after only 40 years. Back in 1822 they knew how to build houses that last!)

Today's PICTURE 81 CLUE is ......

post-2737-0-22445300-1338632040_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-98932300-1338632113_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny