Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I always though it was modelled on Robert the Bruce too, it's quite similar to the Bannockburn statue I think (although that's possibly just because of the horsey!)

There is however a statue of The Bruce elsewhere in Paisley - does anyone else know where it is?

I always thought the statue on the masonic temple on the high street was Robert the Bruce. The things you learn on this thread eh!

Been away stocking up on jelly and ice cream the last few days. Now ready for the party.

Picture 82 CLUE is as follows and shame on many who dont recognise it!

shame indeed, i was looking at this building yesterday whilst out for a cigarette break from drinking soiree with workmates, it is of course the flats above ...... a favourite watering hole and probably the oldest in the town

Off topic but heartwarmingly Buddie...

Sitting in a York pub this evening, out of the babel of noise a phrase leapt out for me...

"She's a St Mirren fan!"

I looked over to see a woman sitting at a table, scots accent, talking to someoneat the bar.

Nosy, I wandered over.

Excuse me did I hear you say...?

The wee lassie (3 to 6 months old) had been born in Paisley. The mother was from Edinburgh and to annoy her hertz parents always says the wean is a saints fan. Her and her man (on a week's holiday) live in bridge of weir.

The end. smile.png

What a wonderful story.wub.png

I am sure many of you would recognise PICTURE 82 from a horizontal position. It is the A Listed building at 7 New St which also happens to have the Bull Inn on the ground floor. Designed by WD McLennan (who also designed Paisley Tech and many other Paisley buildings) it is in Art Noveau style. Built in 1901. There had been another pub on the site before that.

post-2737-0-45524700-1339418147_thumb.jp

I am sure many of you would recognise PICTURE 82 from a horizontal position. It is the A Listed building at 7 New St which also happens to have the Bull Inn on the ground floor. Designed by WD McLennan (who also designed Paisley Tech and many other Paisley buildings) it is in Art Noveau style. Built in 1901. There had been another pub on the site before that.

I dont go in there oftenwhistling.gif

Sonny you said this was the oldest pub in paisley. I would have thought the Abercorn would have been older. Any thoughts

Sonny you said this was the oldest pub in paisley. I would have thought the Abercorn would have been older. Any thoughts

Hi Insaintee. I dont think I stated it was the oldest pub. The Bull has been open continuously since 1901. It is often referred to as the oldest pub but I reckon the Hayweighs is older being built in 1900 but of course that is shut down just now. I dont know how old the Abercorn is. Anyone any ideas or know any other pub that is older?

Hi Insaintee. I dont think I stated it was the oldest pub. The Bull has been open continuously since 1901. It is often referred to as the oldest pub but I reckon the Hayweighs is older being built in 1900 but of course that is shut down just now. I dont know how old the Abercorn is. Anyone any ideas or know any other pub that is older?

i saw another site claming the wee barrel as the oldest site.. I though I saw something about the Abercorn origionally being owned by the marquise of Abercorn but cant find it. (Google does not have all the answers)

I have been doing a little research and I would say several pubs are older than the Bull. The Bull has been in existence since 1901 and yes there was a pub of that name on the site previously but the building was demolished and another one erected with a different design. The only continuity is a name. In Irvine the Ship Inn has been the same building with the pub being open continuously since 1754 - thats what I call an old pub with no doubts about its authenticity.

I have read a couple of reports about the Wee Barrel being the oldest/second oldest but cant find a date when it was built or opened. I'll ask the next time I am in (when the season starts again). The Old Swan has been in continuous existence as a pub since 1883 so for me that is the oldest that I am aware of for now. I am sure someone else may correct me on that. smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Has this building featured before but from another side?

Buildings will only feature once HSS. If there are several good buildings on the same site then they will be featured individually but only once. However in this instance the Architect has been featured before and his style is rather unique.

Buildings will only feature once HSS. If there are several good buildings on the same site then they will be featured individually but only once. However in this instance the Architect has been featured before and his style is rather unique.

and as gav said it's violet house, but obviously used to be some sort of churchy thing

Same sort of style as the Church in Gordon St.

yes , it did look like that church as you said earlier, but i can see that from my house and it doesn't have slates over the doorway like this one, it's definitely the building on the corner of violet street and cyril street