Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Ok, its not Feegie. I lived next to Brodie Park for years and do not remember such a drain (?) there. I am sure it ain't Fountain gardens either. You seem to hang out near the rich kids in Ralston Sid so is it in Barshaw although I have no idea where it may be there?

It is indeed in Barshaw Park. It is just at the entrance to the smelly animal corner. I have no idea whatsover what it is for. Barshaw House isn't that old, built in the 19th Century. It reminds me of an old ise hatch I've seen elsewhere or might just be an old fashioned man hole cover that's never been replaced.

Thanks for clearing that up Sid.

The next image in the series is Picture 84 and there is no point in posting a Clue as one poster on here is champing at the bit for it and will identify it within seconds. So this is for you ktf. Full history and internal shots required smile.png

post-2737-0-17368800-1343062220_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-07466300-1343062283_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-09579200-1343062333_thumb.jp

The next image in the series is Picture 84 and there is no point in posting a Clue as one poster on here is champing at the bit for it and will identify it within seconds. So this is for you ktf. Full history and internal shots required smile.png

One of my mates used to have the bottom left flat in there.

Front door opened into a narrow corridor with 2 bedrooms,bog and kitchen off it and then it opened up into a massive living room.

Aww a wee clue woulda been good! I've waited long enough, another day or few hours woulda been fine!

I'm not sure that I can provide a full exposé of the history, Sonny, but this site has some brilliant images of the Counting House just prior to and during the demolition of Ferguslie Thread Works, which was demolished throughout the 80s - possibly some still standing in the early 90s. The Counting House was far from the handsomest building on the site and it's a crying shame that the Number 1 Spinning Mill was taken down as it was by far and away the best looking of all of Paisley's Mill buildings... So sad. Of course, a part of it still remains, inset into the wall at the roundabout on the corner of Station Road and Old Mill Road is the stone sign that sat onto of the mill.

There are 17 flats in the Counting House now, 13 accessible from the main door on Turners Ave and 4 from the rear door at the back car park... In fact, if you look closely, you can see right into my living room in one of your pics :) The wonderful thing is that the Counting House was the first one of the few remaining FTW buildings to be refurnished and when it was complete, in 1997, Turners Ave didn't even exist and Old Mill Road didn't go as far as joining Green Road, like it does now. Because if this, the Counting House isn't officially on Turners Ave and as such has its own postcode - I love that!

I don't have any photos to put up just now, Sonny, but when I've Hoovered (whistling.gif ) I'll take some of my place and some of the foyers at the front and back of the building to get a look at the inside. Surely there must be some other buds who live in old mill buildings who can post up pics too... can't just be me!

Sorry ktf. :(

I didnt mean to make it a rush job for you! There are some great shots on that site but these wonderful old photos also piss me off that the Cooncil let so many fine buildings be demolished! Anyway, at least some are still standing.

I had a friend who stayed in the Counting House some years ago and visited her on the ground floor which was a great big flat but I would have liked to have a wander round the building as it is interesting from the inside hence the request for some inside shots! Is there anything inside that still shows something of the history of the building?

I have seen some inside shots of the Anchor Mills after refurbishment and intend visiting the Doors Open this year if it is still on the go. The only old Mill building i have been in is the Mile End Mill at the Museum.

Sorry ktf. sad.png

I didnt mean to make it a rush job for you! There are some great shots on that site but these wonderful old photos also piss me off that the Cooncil let so many fine buildings be demolished! Anyway, at least some are still standing.

I had a friend who stayed in the Counting House some years ago and visited her on the ground floor which was a great big flat but I would have liked to have a wander round the building as it is interesting from the inside hence the request for some inside shots! Is there anything inside that still shows something of the history of the building?

I have seen some inside shots of the Anchor Mills after refurbishment and intend visiting the Doors Open this year if it is still on the go. The only old Mill building i have been in is the Mile End Mill at the Museum.

No problem at all Sonny. Will gladly get some photos up as soon as possible. I had friends who stayed in Anchor Mill until recently and a friend who owns a couple of flats in there, however they are rented out... There are some photos on the walls of the foyer at the back, just ones off the internet, of the Counting House in its heyday and also as a derelict site, that have been put up by one of my neighbours, aside form this, there is nothing really that alludes to its history.

Any time you've got a spare morning or afternoon, drop me a PM and if I'm in, you're more than welcome to pop by for a coffee/tea and have a snoop about the place.

It was also featured in one of the Sunday magazine property sections a number of years ago when it was up for sale, if I remember correctly the price was a mere £90k

Haha! The cost comparison for mine now compared to when it was built is astronomical... It's not worth around 4x what it sold for in 1997!

Cracking place to take the wee Kid's Sid, I was down last week with the Mrs and ma niece's wee Yin? The park is a credit to Paisley, And to all the kid's who have had a fun Day out there ! Remember when Showaddwaddy Played ? What the Fcuk was in that Pipe ?? whistling.gif

Apparently Barshaw Park was the chosen location for Paisley's WW1 tank - a gift from the MoD for Paisley's contribution to the war effort. Apparently the dafties left live ammunition in the tank and some youngsters managed to fire off a shell...there was limited damage to properties in Ralston (shame); however a passing local grocer was severly burned by the debris flash. The youth's were never caught.....RickMcD and bluto?

Clue for PICTURE 85 is below.

(Please note that I have holidays to take and may not post for a week or so if the weather forecast becomes good! Trying to get them in before the season starts but hey ho....)

post-2737-0-27106000-1343168782_thumb.jp

Apparently Barshaw Park was the chosen location for Paisley's WW1 tank - a gift from the MoD for Paisley's contribution to the war effort. Apparently the dafties left live ammunition in the tank and some youngsters managed to fire off a shell...there was limited damage to properties in Ralston (shame); however a passing local grocer was severly burned by the debris flash. The youth's were never caught.....RickMcD and bluto?

I was on the Somme at the time. Picked up a bullet wound and the first of my Military Crosses that day, don't you know. Not too sure about Bluto. He liked mixing with sailors if I remember correctly.

(In case any clown believes any of that shit, my old man hadn't even been born at the time)