Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PIC 92 Is the Gaelic Church in Oakshaw. B Listed (second image).

The Gaelic Church in Oakshaw Street was built in 1793 by Highlanders who were living in Paisley, and services were conducted in Gaelic. Originally it was not recognised as a separate parish church and came under the control of the High Church. It was granted full status in 1874, and from then on was known as St Columba's. In 1959 the congregation moved to a newly built church in Foxbar. The empty church in Oakshaw was used for a time by the social work department, and was then converted into private flats.

PIC 93 Clue is the first image .....

post-2737-0-30787300-1345974521_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-45516300-1345974600_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Well done Lethal 89. Address is 27 Ferguslie and is B Listed. Built 1899 with the architect being TG.

This building is metaphorically and literally linked to 78 Maxwellton as its the same building originally. The Ferguslie side was the welfare offices and hall and an entrance for the Coats girls Hostel on Maxwellton (as I am sure Langbank already knew smile.png ). It eventually was partitioned into two and the Hostel converted into flats and Ferguslie being the home of the Paisley Sea Cadets for many years.

I am sorry to say its now on the Buildings at Risk register ....

http://www.buildings.../details/908562

however if any of you guys out there want to set up a new Social Club for the Buds its available to buy ....

http://www.renfrewsh...ie_Jan 2012.pdf

Another part of our illustrious past falling into decay. Hope its bought over soon and renovated.

Edited by Sonny

This is PIC 93. Where is it and what was it used for? Anyone?

That's annoying as I've been waiting for that one....fits with the bevvy'd link as I have passed it on the long walk home from Paisley after a good bevvy session. Cracking building and shame its going to ruin.