Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 12 was the Thomas Coats Memorial in the High St. Here are some internal photographs. The detail and carvings are quite magnificent. The baptism bath is still in use. The vestry was recently refurbished at a cost of £100,000 which included the hand painted 'wallpaper' and 5 tiles in the bog made as exact replicas of the originals at £2k a pop!

The wood and marble carvings are fantastic as it the pulpit. Definitely worth a wee look smile.png

I graduated in there. Quite a place, but wasted on fcuking studentsph34r.png

PIC 98 is the Thomas Coats Observatory in Oakshaw. A Listed. Built in 1883. One of four public observatories in the UK, all in Scotland, the others being in Dundee, Airdrie and Edinburgh. Stain glass panels in the Observatory depict Galileo, Kepler and Herschel.

PS the New Jerusalem Church is C Listed.

C listing means exterior features only covered by the schedule. But judging from your photos the interior is actually pretty impressive. Think that needs changed.

PICTURE 12 was the Thomas Coats Memorial in the High St. Here are some internal photographs. The detail and carvings are quite magnificent. The baptism bath is still in use. The vestry was recently refurbished at a cost of £100,000 which included the hand painted 'wallpaper' and 5 tiles in the bog made as exact replicas of the originals at £2k a pop!

The wood and marble carvings are fantastic as it the pulpit. Definitely worth a wee look smile.png

All of those pictures are great but I love #8 in particular. smile.png

Those pictures of Coats Memorial are terrific. I was in the BB for years and managed to get into most churches at some time or another when there were parades but I have never set foot in Coats Memorial. I would like to have a look one day especially now that I've seen these photos when I'm back. I have actually tried a few times but it never seems to be open. Does anybody know if it's open during the day for visitors?

You can get in on a Sunday morning at 11am Rick :) . Alternatively join the Paisley Photographic Club who meet there on a Fri night. :)

Kidding aside I strolled up one Saturday and the doors were open so I had a wee keek in. Nobody about but I didnt enter as I didnt want locked in. The Church seems reasonably well used so all I can suggest is you toddle along and see if its open. On Doors Open Day the congregation were very friendly and helpful and showing people around. I am sure you would be made welcome if its open.

You can get in on a Sunday morning at 11am Rick smile.png . Alternatively join the Paisley Photographic Club who meet there on a Fri night. smile.png

Kidding aside I strolled up one Saturday and the doors were open so I had a wee keek in. Nobody about but I didnt enter as I didnt want locked in. The Church seems reasonably well used so all I can suggest is you toddle along and see if its open. On Doors Open Day the congregation were very friendly and helpful and showing people around. I am sure you would be made welcome if its open.

Thanks,Sonny. The 11am. thing ain't quite my scene so I'll give that a miss. Next time I'm coming over I'll try phoning to find out when it's open.

Sonny,

Do you think on your travels around Paisley you could take photos of those architectural disasters which blight our town. Not for any negative motives. On the contary, but as a warning against it happening again. I'm saying this because I don't think our town planners have learned any lessons bearing in mind the monstrosity that is the clad-faced facade flats recently built on the town's prime site opposite the Abbey.

Sonny,

Do you think on your travels around Paisley you could take photos of those architectural disasters which blight our town. Not for any negative motives. On the contary, but as a warning against it happening again. I'm saying this because I don't think our town planners have learned any lessons bearing in mind the monstrosity that is the clad-faced facade flats recently built on the town's prime site opposite the Abbey.

I know where your coming from but you have to remember that tastes change. Take for example the council buildings at mill street. Some people might think that an eyesore other might love it. Some with the Silver thread, wonderful example of 60's modernism or concrete box. The flat complex between Alice street and Stock street, interesting example of 60's town planning or eyesore? Actually that might be an interesting thread after all.

I know where your coming from but you have to remember that tastes change. Take for example the council buildings at mill street. Some people might think that an eyesore other might love it. Some with the Silver thread, wonderful example of 60's modernism or concrete box. The flat complex between Alice street and Stock street, interesting example of 60's town planning or eyesore? Actually that might be an interesting thread after all.

Modernism may not be to everyones taste but it was a specific school of architecture some good some bad. With cladding however - note the Piazza and Glasgow Airport (where Sir Basil Spence must be turning in his grave like a top) is just a cheap cover-up.

I've tried very hard (and I must be congratulated) to refrain from using expletives on this post.

Sonny,

Hi DSS. I must admit that I have been tempted to record some of the more modern buildings but up until now I had plenty of beautiful old ones some of which require a higher profile if maybe they are to be saved. There are some fine examples, many not featured as yet, whereby an old building has had a new lease of life by being converted to living accommodation. The Nethercommon Carpet Factory, JNI, Brown & Polson etc to name just a few. The focus has been on our heritage but some modern buildings should be included in our adventure.

The next image will be image 100 and I still have many more to feature and some more to photograph. On my wee expeditions I shall capture from now on some of the more modern buildings for comment. I'll start to feature them now and again. I can think of one that is, in my opinion, a very interesting building but will it still be around in 100 years? Maybe not. I lived in a house in Glenburn which had a lifespan of only 50 years before it was demolished. Unfortunately thats the way of modern buildings - not built to last, whereby many tenements in Paisley are over 100 years old and still going strong. In the meantime I'll get TGs iconic buildings out the way with a wee diversion now and then to modern stuff. Good idea.

Edit: PS I hoped this thread may inspire all good Buds to tell their children a bit more about their heritage and maybe instil some pride in their town. I know my wanderings with my camera have certainly got me talking about Paisley in a far more positive light to anyone that will listen to me smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Modernism may not be to everyones taste but it was a specific school of architecture some good some bad. With cladding however - note the Piazza and Glasgow Airport (where Sir Basil Spence must be turning in his grave like a top) is just a cheap cover-up.

I've tried very hard (and I must be congratulated) to refrain from using expletives on this post.

Couldn't agree more. The Spence barrel vaults at Glasgow Airport were absolutely superb. Have to admit that the Plaza was never a favourite and would have liked it have been bombed rather than renovated. But if anything the renovation is an improvement.