Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks like what's left of the Half-Time School is to be knocked down for flats: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/bulldozer-plan-paisleys-historic-half-11006472

My brother lives near so I go past it quite often when I'm up the road. Never knew what the remains were until today and form what I can find it looks like it was an impressive building back in the day. Would have been nice if they could have incorporated what was left into the new development but guessing that isn't viable so probably for the best that the site is cleared as it's an absolute eyesore.

Not before time. An absolute eyesore and has been for years .  There were plans years ago to build flats there which came to nothing, hopefully this time . 

http://www.paisley.org.uk/2012/08/ferguslie-half-timers-school/

The old Elbow Room on corner of St James St/California St has been demolished.

My Granda drank in there when it was the Sheep's Heid (I think) when the family lived in Galloway Street. They moved from there to Blackford Road in Hunterhill so both houses and his pub gone now.

2 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

My Granda drank in there when it was the Sheep's Heid (I think) when the family lived in Galloway Street. They moved from there to Blackford Road in Hunterhill so both houses and his pub gone now.

Aye, that's what I remember it being called.

Rarely ventured in, not really sure why.

When would it have changed name?
I moved from that area around 1980 and away from Paisley 1999.
I'm sure it was the Elbow Room while I was still in Paisley.

I've no idea, was always the Elbow Room for me, too, probably changed name in the 60s I'd guess. I'm sure there are some on here even older than us who could tell us, though.

:)

26 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

I've no idea, was always the Elbow Room for me, too, probably changed name in the 60s I'd guess. I'm sure there are some on here even older than us who could tell us, though.

:)

Oh shite, I remember it being the Sheeps Heid, might even have been in when it was called that.

I'm away to check my birth certificate.  :lol:

The name changed from the "Sheep's Heid" in the 70's. I used to work along the road and I took my bosses in for a pint. Now the big boss's wife had a title and a crest on her car and the other was an Oxford man. Needless to say we never went back but they did ask what it was like! [emoji49]

I used to live in Caledonia Street above Haddows facing the fountain gardens , was too young to go in the pub , but seem to remember that the one half way down my street being busy ( can't mind its name ) as in always people going in & out my Dad used to play darts/doms in there.

The one above though, never seen people going in or out

4 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

I used to live in Caledonia Street above Haddows facing the fountain gardens , was too young to go in the pub , but seem to remember that the one half way down my street being busy ( can't mind its name ) as in always people going in & out my Dad used to play darts/doms in there.

The one above though, never seen people going in or out

Do I know you?

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

I used to live in Caledonia Street above Haddows facing the fountain gardens , was too young to go in the pub , but seem to remember that the one half way down my street being busy ( can't mind its name ) as in always people going in & out my Dad used to play darts/doms in there

Street name might have given you a clue or maybe the Alamo Bar.