Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Canal St looking West from Causeyside St. Wardrop St on the right, Camphill school in the background.

FB_IMG_1549448219743.jpeg

Thanks for picture.  Didn't think one existed.  My grannies last place of residence was in a flat two stories above the Old South Western Bar before she moved on to Hawkhead.  

On 2/10/2019 at 2:47 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Calside looking towards Causeyside St, 1962.

The wishing well has been long gone.

Image may contain: tree, sky and outdoor

The Public Toilet that was there is long gone,its actually still there as it was underground and is covered over,but the Wishing Well Monument is still there.

11 hours ago, hamlet said:

I think "Glasgow's" the Pram Shop was just after Galbraiths in Cotton Street?

Indeed it was.  It was a good toyshop too.  I'm sure they had one in the west end along Wellmeadow on the right heading to Well St.  Further along Cotton St was Paisley Surgical Stores.  I used to wonder, when I passed on the way to Cubs on a Friday night, why a shop was open on a Friday night and why only men (mostly in cars) seemed to be the customers?  By the time I understood it was gone?

On 2/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Canal St looking West from Causeyside St. Wardrop St on the right, Camphill school in the background.

FB_IMG_1549448219743.jpeg

Thanks EAB and others for submitting these so important photos of Paisley's heritage now sadly gone.  Although, having lived in this area as a child, these houses were slums riddled with dampness and when we moved into the new development at Sir Michael Pl with an inside toilet and a bath my mother thought of heaven here on earth!

In the photo above,  first right is Wardrop St and on the corner, where the rubble lies, stood an old boarded up shop and since we were homeless, my father made a deal with the owner to let the 5 of us live there - 'aye, we're poorer than youse!'.  Anyway, if anyone could come up with a photo of that shop I'd really appreciate it!

Sometime later we managed to find a flat in the same street with gas light - no electricity!  Ah, those were the days!

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

On 2/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

You'll probably like these then...

Looking west from the junction with Barclay St (no longer exists, was 2 along from Wardrop St)barclayst.jpg.258e2f7cf7d9c0c32f8bcc0582e5c889.jpg

Looking east from junction with Castle St, Canal railway line on the right

castlest.jpg.cd28298a7135bbe8a615424303f705ca.jpg

Junction with Barr St

barrst.jpg.839dff9e77ae5a7ee1d785db19e9ba65.jpg

The Cavern (now The Horseshoe) during construction

cavern.jpg.7cbe75ba6530b2bf0dee6ab2654e1ce3.jpg

Junction with Camphill

camphill.jpg.82ffed8593820f163243406151940e26.jpg

Behind the van lies a licensed grocer owned by a rather snobbish lower middle class man and I remember as a kid standing in the shop behind a woman with her leather bag (no plastic in those days) and headsquare on.  She was examining large boxed cakes on the counter and she then asked the owner,

'How much is this wan?' 

'2/6d' he replied. 

'Whit?  that's awfa light for 2/6d!'

'Because it's a sponge cake, dear!'

I once wrote a poem about it.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

Is that Grahams the butchers.
I'm pretty sure the shop with "GRA" above it is still there, trading now as the Buddies Bakery.I also didn't notice until now that at the extreme left of the photo is the railway line and the back of the tenements in Underwood Rd, one of which is the very first house I lived in as a baby, number 62.

23 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Behind the van lies a licensed grocer owned by a rather snobbish lower middle class man and I remember as a kid standing in the shop behind a woman with her leather bag (no plastic in those days) and headsquare on.  She was examining large boxed cakes on the counter and she then asked the owner,

'How much is this wan?' 

'2/6d' he replied. 

'Whit?  that's awfa light for 2/6d!'

'Because it's a sponge cake, dear!'

I once wrote a poem about it.

The correct answer is "because it's Madeira cake".