Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

the espedair burn looping round the foot of Saucel hill at the bottom before tunnelling under the buildings (and Canal rail lines) to the Cart.

only once, did I ever summon enough courage to go right along the pipe work lining the sides, in that tunnel, to reach the Cart..  pitch dark, slippy, smelly and rat infested.   And then return...

i guess it must still be there.  I still see its black exit yawning into the River.

Article mentioning the Espedair Burn here.

https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/tunnelling-tanya-breaks-through-in-paisley

3 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Interesting, Tom.

Ta for that, too.  :)

I also notice in your latest view  of 'Well Street'  fae Castle Street, there's one of those new-fangled Belisha pole pedestrian crossings, but with no zebra stripes on the road surface... and an auld bloke teetering on the pavement, unsure whether or not to suicidally dash into all that traffic...

1 hour ago, antrin said:

I don't get it, Eric, Arfur…   :unsure:

Bank street and Mill street?  Never cheek by jowl, I thought...

And I also don't recognise  the chippie and I usetae walk to McKerrell street every other day from Barr Street.

I also refer you to this picture where you can clearly see Bank St running past the East School, crossing Mill St and onward to  the New Town Cross with Gauze St/Silk St/Cotton St.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

26 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Pfffttt Auld duffer. Bank St and Mill St STILL  form a junction. bankmill.JPG.848a7005c2a35bdfdb4a6b522f062fa6.JPG

It's where the Salvation Army building is.

Fair cop, Guv!  :o

That wee detached bit of Bank Street's like an excised, abandoned, forlorn and decaying foreskin...

(I imagine.)

Still, cannae recall a chippy, there.  Any idea when the pic was taken?

Edited by antrin

8 minutes ago, antrin said:

Fair cop, Guv!  :o

That wee detached bit of Bank Street's like an excised, abandoned, forlorn and decaying foreskin...

(I imagine.)

Still, cannae recall a chippy, there.  Any idea when the pic was taken?

No I don't know when it was taken.

I've enlarged the aerial shot. The chippy is circled in yellow (and you can see the advertising boards arrowed.)

Bank St is in red, the back courts of the "council buildings" side of Mill St is in blue and Cochran St is green.

banketc.JPG.dbb77566d271b4150916d15d4a4b407a.JPG

On 3/7/2019 at 12:41 AM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

On the top left hand corner ( the aerial photograph) is my old school - the West.  Did anyone go to it during the late 1950s early 60s?

Aye me auld yin.

You’ll remember me.

Lived at 81 George Street.

Went to the West primary 59 till 65.

6 hours ago, Langbank said:

Yeah me too 62 - 66. Lived Maxwellton Road.

Are you that wee hefty bird that fancied me........................................?

I’m available again.

I’ll no play hard to get this time.

21 minutes ago, Langbank said:

Afraid not but I really hope you find her!!

She bought me a present for my birthday, but was to shy to give it to me herself.

I remember the teacher calling out my name and asking me to the front of the class.

I didn’t know what was happening. 

I remember having a “I haven’t done anything wrong expression” on my face and the teacher having a “work with me here you little shit” look on her face as she proceeded to tell me, and the whole class, what a wonderful thing it was that Patrica had brought in a present for my birthday and we should all agree, especially me, that this was a lovely gesture.

”Aye...............................thanks Pat” and sat down wondering whit was that all about.

I should have realised then that women will always give you small things but end wanting half your house.

She bought me a present for my birthday, but was to shy to give it to me herself.

I remember the teacher calling out my name and asking me to the front of the class.

I didn’t know what was happening. 

I remember having a “I haven’t done anything wrong expression” on my face and the teacher having a “work with me here you little shit” look on her face as she proceeded to tell me, and the whole class, what a wonderful thing it was that Patrica had brought in a present for my birthday and we should all agree, especially me, that this was a lovely gesture.

”Aye...............................thanks Pat” and sat down wondering whit was that all about.

I should have realised then that women will always give you small things but end wanting half your house.

Good story !! Can’t think of any Patricias from Maxwellton rd although didn’t know anyone from the tenements between Ferguslie Walk and Thomas St. I was 10 when we moved from there.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

West End looking towards Well St from Castle St.

FB_IMG_1554635316797.jpeg

Looking bottom left where the rather large pot plants sit, if I remember correctly was there not an underground  gents toilet there, i am doubting myself given the pictures age .... but I would have put money on it.  

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

Looking bottom left where the rather large pot plants sit, if I remember correctly was there not an underground  gents toilet there, i am doubting myself given the pictures age .... but I would have put money on it.  

I think you're right but they could have been round the corner.

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

You're spot on mate, the old westend bogs as we used to call them, they were f**kin honkin, I remember my mate's 

uncle always sat outside them drinking bottles of eldorado, the guy was a bit fcuked up but he was good for getting 

us young mob sorted with a carry oot...:guinness