Jump to content

Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Recommended Posts

On 7/16/2019 at 8:55 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Gordon St
FB_IMG_1563263696798.jpeg

When did the bus station shut down?

I remember getting a Single decker Western bus in 1983 from Paisley to Newquay. Just an ordinary every day single decker without seat headrests and no bog.

Probably shouldn't have taken such a big carry out, given the lack of toilet facilities. Never have I been so glad to see Carlisle bus station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, FTOF said:

.When did the bus station shut down?

I remember getting a Single decker Western bus in 1983 from Paisley to Newquay. Just an ordinary every day single decker without seat headrests and no bog.

Probably shouldn't have taken such a big carry out, given the lack of toilet facilities. Never have I been so glad to see Carlisle bus station.

I went to Newquay in 1974 from the Babcock social club in Renfrew. Bus was like you,r but lucky for us there was a pick up in Glasgow.

Went again the following year but didn't make the same mistake   :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, FTOF said:

When did the bus station shut down?

I remember getting a Single decker Western bus in 1983 from Paisley to Newquay. Just an ordinary every day single decker without seat headrests and no bog.

Probably shouldn't have taken such a big carry out, given the lack of toilet facilities. Never have I been so glad to see Cit. arlisle bus station.

No wonder that journey is etched in your head how long did the journey to Newquay take and was it worth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

No wonder that journey is etched in your head how long did the journey to Newquay take and was it worth 

For me it took around 15 hrs in total. Left at 6pm arriving around 9am. No motorway after Bristol didn't help.

Drove it around 1992 through the night in about 9hrs/ 10hrs I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

For me it took around 15 hrs in total. Left at 6pm arriving around 9am. No motorway after Bristol didn't help.

Drove it around 1992 through the night in about 9hrs/ 10hrs I think.

The things you can do when young. I took my wife on a driving Holiday VW Polo in 1987 to Europe we did Holland, Germany Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria. We did it in 10 days 3,000. Could not dream of doing that now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The things you can do when young. I took my wife on a driving Holiday VW Polo in 1987 to Europe we did Holland, Germany Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria. We did it in 10 days 3,000. Could not dream of doing that now. 

Well done you 👍  I hired a car for 3 days in Menorca around 24 years ago and didn't enjoy it 1 bit, and have never driven abroad since :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well done you 👍  I hired a car for 3 days in Menorca around 24 years ago and didn't enjoy it 1 bit, and have never driven abroad since :lol:

Love Mahon have been a few holiday's in minorca by the beach ,  being in the capital by the water was brilliant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

I don't see all the pictures posted using the app, but I see the ABC/Regal picture house as the last post.

Currently sitting in the background of that picture with a few stiffies for company. emoji44.png

You’re in the Co-op funeral parlour sitting on a coffin?!

8 hours ago, jaybee said:

Wasn't that the Regal cinema opposite some toilets that were a bit dubious to use

Dunno.

i always used the lavvies in the Regal corridor out to Lady Lane...

 

 

"edit:  I wrote the above post at midnight, but somehow it didn’t post!  

Drink had been taken - but it had been Brewdog Nannystate, so I dunno wot ‘appened....

Edited by antrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

West Buchanan St from Canal St looking to George St, 1955

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Great pic of a dug daein’ a (nae door) white dugshit, as this was the olden days.  :)

you could pass through the close of the rubble-built building, through the backyairds and emerge in Barr Street. And walk on similarly to reach Barclay Street. All unofficial, of course.

note the cobbled streets.  For some reason a high-summer wean activity was gouging out the melted tar, from between the setts and adding it to a ball of tar that you enlarged, as the days baked on.  I Don:t know why.

and you seemed to have to start from scratch every summer.  Where did aw the taur baws go?

 

i blame the Taur Fairy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Almost.

Sadly, Barr STREET is demolished, here and is now Barr Place.
The shops left to right.
Alistair's. A dairy but sold all sorts of foodstuffs and sweeties
Claude Hannah, licensed grocers that replaced the chippie.
This was the butcher's - Tom Smith's, who retired and sold out to one of his apprentices from Barclay Street -Chic Green
The final shop on the right replaced the Galbraith's that used to be there. A Similar style of shop, without the backing of a chain.
New shops built opposite were the death knell for these small traders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...