Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

6 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
6 hours ago, faraway saint said:
There was a similar video going around showing Gallowhill, 
Also one around the West End? 

Ive seen the Linwood Toll to West End and back video but not the Gallowhill one. Not much will have changed in G.hill other than the changes at Rockfield, Brabloch and McDonald's.

O yes there will be changes. I no longer stay there!!. Seriously,  no shops with tic like Willie Warnocks in Gallowhill Road, no co-op, no Galbraiths,

no Alisons Dairy (I think that was the name) horse and float,  no street football.

If the Gallowhill video is around would very much appreciate if it could be posted here.

As i've said before, keep the photos coming. 

5 hours ago, hamlet said:

O yes there will be changes. I no longer stay there!!. Seriously,  no shops with tic like Willie Warnocks in Gallowhill Road, no co-op, no Galbraiths,

no Alisons Dairy (I think that was the name) horse and float,  no street football.

If the Gallowhill video is around would very much appreciate if it could be posted here.

As i've said before, keep the photos coming. 

I had a quick look last night, couldn't find it.

I'll try later after work. 

2 hours ago, pod said:

I really like that and would agree with many of the ideas, but...

… those ideas will founder for the same reason that the Town Centre's many social and food outlets are currently NOT flourishing.

Where is the provision for ample free parking?  Or free public transport into the centre?

Scores of thousands of Buddies but so many living on its periphery.  Encourage them into the town centre.

And the weather doesn't help.    

That was one of the benefits of Paisley Centre.  It could be accessed and exited via several locations.  Buddies could be out of the inclement weather whilst going from shop to shop to café... 

Its a good document for discussion.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, pod said:

Looks great, would be fantastic but almost certainly won't happen. Lost count of the number of similar plans I've seen for Paisley and other Scottish towns that have come to feck all.

Would be wonderful if this bucks the trend but won't get my hopes up.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, pod said:

I think that the facade is an absolute disaster especially in the cross-section photograph.  No reference to the existing Victorian facade and brings the mind the obnoxious  Modernist architecture the destroyed County Square.

22 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I think that the facade is an absolute disaster especially in the cross-section photograph.  No reference to the existing Victorian facade and brings the mind the obnoxious  Modernist architecture the destroyed County Square.

An improvement on what is presently there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 3:17 PM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I understand why peopld don't like most newbuild facades, especially when compared to Victorian or Edwardian buildings. But the fact is that to build is stolid load bearing masonry is prohibitively expensive and has very poor thermal properties. Brick skins, and stone cladding never quite give the visual appeal of the traditional technique. But basically your options are build in a modern style or don't build at all. I do think this is a mock up and the actual facade might be better, but ultimately it is not going to look any different from a thousand other new build scheme in the same idiom. And to be fair, there is not much between the corner of causwayside and the old bingo hall facade that is worth keeping

On 2/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, insaintee said:

I understand why peopld don't like most newbuild facades, especially when compared to Victorian or Edwardian buildings. But the fact is that to build is stolid load bearing masonry is prohibitively expensive and has very poor thermal properties. Brick skins, and stone cladding never quite give the visual appeal of the traditional technique. But basically your options are build in a modern style or don't build at all. I do think this is a mock up and the actual facade might be better, but ultimately it is not going to look any different from a thousand other new build scheme in the same idiom. And to be fair, there is not much between the corner of causwayside and the old bingo hall facade that is worth keeping

I agree with DSS, in that how this projected building plan protrudes into the High Street and more importantly how the embellishments for the first floor upwardly disrupt the otherwise clean line demarcating ground and first floors.... makes it an ugly intrusion to the High Street.

The materials are just another, “Me, me, me... look at me!” tweak from the architect/designer.  What is wrong with lovely light sandstone?  The ground floor of the bank(?) next door has what seems to be perfectly attractive sandstone uprights, which I’d guess is simple cladding.

image.thumb.jpeg.caa477df50ca4af9d808a73537262631.jpeg

Edited by antrin

• 3 weeks later...