Jump to content

Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Recommended Posts

On 5/21/2020 at 10:00 AM, Buddymarvellous said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5906bd69d149d5a6d8581690e6b1565d.jpeg

image.jpeg

A much better view! - Not a bad place to live in any of the houses on the left (which are now basically all offices)

 

Paisley looking towards Sherwood Church.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may have been posted before - Canal Street in its hay day!

 

I like the idea of "Bovril repelling Influenza" and in this day of sensitivities, Paterson's Camp Coffee may only attract a certain clientele! :whistle

Paisley Canal St Station.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, The Original 59er said:

This may have been posted before - Canal Street in its hay day!

 

I like the idea of "Bovril repelling Influenza" and in this day of sensitivities, Paterson's Camp Coffee may only attract a certain clientele! :whistle

Paisley Canal St Station.jpg

Great picture brings back memories.  You mean Canal Street station on Causeyside street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Great picture brings back memories.  You mean Canal Street station on Causeyside street.

It’s Canal Station,not Canal Street station. 🚂🚃🚃

Edited by HSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HSS said:

It’s Canal Station,not Canal Street station. 🚂🚃🚃

Aye... the pic shows the widden Causeyside Street exit from the station.

the actual Canal Station, where Telfords (huh) now is...  is at the foot of Stow Brae, up and over Stow Brae from Canal Street.
 

(Although i always also called the station “Canal Street”, as I thought it WAS Officially called that in contrast to Paisley Gilmour Street.  I get the feeling that the STREET part of both those station names has been dropped by lazy, sloppy rail companies....?)
 

cannae be arsed trawling back to check, though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also...

....using the name Telford (presumably in honour of the great engineer) is at least as much of a stretch geographically - as the Famous bridge that he built is miles away from the station..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Great picture brings back memories.  You mean Canal Street station on Causeyside street.

Of course, you are correct, I initially missed the word "station" then was corrected again when it was stated as Canal Station. 

The Canal link of course is also very relevant for Paisley as initially (as I understand it) the Canal was built to look after the interests of a couple of industrialists, but was never truly completed to Ardrossan. Then there was the disaster, basically as most folk couldn't swim and also their clothing will have hampered them.

There is a good Wikipedia article on the Canal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow,_Paisley_and_Johnstone_Canal

image.jpeg

Paisley Canal.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HSS said:

It’s Canal Station,not Canal Street station. 🚂🚃🚃

 

5 hours ago, antrin said:

Aye... the pic shows the widden Causeyside Street exit from the station.

the actual Canal Station, where Telfords (huh) now is...  is at the foot of Stow Brae, up and over Stow Brae from Canal Street.
 

(Although i always also called the station “Canal Street”, as I thought it WAS Officially called that in contrast to Paisley Gilmour Street.  I get the feeling that the STREET part of both those station names has been dropped by lazy, sloppy rail companies....?)
 

cannae be arsed trawling back to check, though....

Yip. I always referred to it as, 'Canal St. Station'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, The Original 59er said:

This may have been posted before - Canal Street in its hay day!

 

I like the idea of "Bovril repelling Influenza" and in this day of sensitivities, Paterson's Camp Coffee may only attract a certain clientele! :whistle

Paisley Canal St Station.jpg

I wonder if Bovril would  have any impact on Corvid 19?:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I wonder if Bovril would  have any impact on Corvid 19?:huh:

Maybe it's the new wonder cure that a certain President will promote next?.......... Actually, I suspect it might be better than one or two of the ideas he has already pushed! :hammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

 

Yip. I always referred to it as, 'Canal St. Station'.

Most folk do.Its like most people say St Mirren Brae,how often do you hear it called by it’s correct name of St Mirren St?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HSS said:

Most folk do.Its like most people say St Mirren Brae,how often do you hear it called by it’s correct name of St Mirren St?

We Paisley Buddies are an odd bunch indeed. For years we used to call St Mirren Park ...... Love Street. Then when we moved location to Greenhill Road many of us still call the new ground Love Street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, antrin said:

Also...

....using the name Telford (presumably in honour of the great engineer) is at least as much of a stretch geographically - as the Famous bridge that he built is miles away from the station..

Telford oversaw the whole canal project.

He wasn't only involved in the River Cart aqueduct construction.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9896

Some excellent pictures present and past of the canal. I've been walking past the Coats basin for the past few weeks and it's got a lot of aquatic birds living there. I think I saw some carp there too.

Image

Edited by FTOF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

We Paisley Buddies are an odd bunch indeed. For years we used to call St Mirren Park ...... Love Street. Then when we moved location to Greenhill Road many of us still call the new ground Love Street.

...and I'm one of them.  I just feel it an integral part of being a Buddie.:clapping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 3:23 PM, The Original 59er said:

Maybe it's the new wonder cure that a certain President will promote next?.......... Actually, I suspect it might be better than one or two of the ideas he has already pushed! :hammer

Hey don't knock bleach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

8-10 High St, 1901.

This is where the travel agent and Santander are now.

Image may contain: one or more people, night and outdoor

Every time I see an old photo of Paisley I fantasize of walking down that street looking and listening to conversations.  What would you rather do if you had the choice, go back in time or go into the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...