Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

Does anyone remember the toy shop down Cotton Street opposite the Abbey and what it was called?

A photo would be great.............. I used to spend my ill gotten gains in that shop more than any other toy shop in the town. 

Back of my head keeps thinking " Glasgows."  

On 8/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, eastlandssaint said:

image.jpeg.e175d3aab1170db6ec3bd6fbda772199.jpeg

1983 , pissin' wet night , he knocked me back , when I asked him why he said,  "no reason , you're just not getting in " !  2002 , I'm  the Quiz Master Kelburne Bar , mobbed ,  Mr Walters at a table with four other people. Can we take part he asks , I told him no , he asked why , I said " no reason " ! 

On 8/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, eastlandssaint said:

image.jpeg.e175d3aab1170db6ec3bd6fbda772199.jpeg

On 9/5/2020 at 9:12 PM, billyg said:

1983 , pissin' wet night , he knocked me back , when I asked him why he said,  "no reason , you're just not getting in " !  2002 , I'm  the Quiz Master Kelburne Bar , mobbed ,  Mr Walters at a table with four other people. Can we take part he asks , I told him no , he asked why , I said " no reason " ! 

Oh how the heart used to sink walking up the stairs at Paris and seeing Davie Walters on the door instead of Brian McGhee. 
You were looking at an 80/20 KB from Walters and at least a 50/50 with McGhee.

With us it was down to age though Billy. In 1983 you must’ve been in your early 40s. 😄

You were probably deemed too auld. 

Stumbled across this link which shows a great montage of old photos of our town, many of which I had never seen before. Well worth the 5 minutes to look at the 'video' showing a variety of B&W photos.

https://tour-scotland-photographs.blogspot.com/2014/12/old-photograph-wellmeadow-street.html

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

Stumbled across this link which shows a great montage of old photos of our town, many of which I had never seen before. Well worth the 5 minutes to look at the 'video' showing a variety of B&W photos.

https://tour-scotland-photographs.blogspot.com/2014/12/old-photograph-wellmeadow-street.html

Excellent!

with a much better, clearer pic of the auld prison and council offices...

13 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Also stumbled across this photo which must have been taken in the early 60's given a Mini is in the picture. 

Look how busy the traffic is!

Cochran's and Paisley Cross.jpg

The black building standing at the corner of Moss Street and the High Street seems pretty big.  Blimey, I'm trying to remember if that building has changed or is it the same one standing today?

12 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

The black building standing at the corner of Moss Street and the High Street seems pretty big.  Blimey, I'm trying to remember if that building has changed or is it the same one standing today?

In YOUR day, there was a clock tower there, on top of that building, but the ground works or the weight of the clock tower overbalanced the building which developed cracks, so there were huge timber balks to stop the building and clock tower from falling into the High Street.

Or so mah Faither told me...

Honest!

tollbooth.jpg.90fbd9b597f2dd94fd92972882cb5d05.jpg