Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, ironsaints87 said:

So is Prussia st technically where Johnston st is today? Sorry I’m only 48 I can’t remember It. Looking at map Was Johnston st along old fire station then?

Looks like it also looks like Johnston St on that map became eastbound Gordon St and Gordon's Lane is westbound Gordon St.

Both streets (Johnson and Gordon) used to be two way traffic till Canal street dual carriageway (and the resulting southern bypass of the High Street) was built.

George street was the 2nd busiest E-W two way street in town... till canal street opened and the foot of George Street became one way.

Both streets (Johnson and Gordon) used to be two way traffic till Canal street dual carriageway (and the resulting southern bypass of the High Street) was built.
George street was the 2nd busiest E-W two way street in town... till canal street opened and the foot of George Street became one way.

That’s interesting. My gran lived at 12 Canal Terrace and I remember her telling me and showing me pictures of the old tenements along the whole of canal st up to Maxwellton St. Hard to imagine when you see wide open dual carriageway now. I used to love sitting at her veranda watching the coal trains shunt in and out of the coal yard across the road.
Talking of Maxwellton st I remember hearing about the horseshoe in the road commemorating the witch trial executions and I recall something about a link with the Well that sits on the backcourt opposite Tannahills cottage. Any knowledge of this?

11 hours ago, ironsaints87 said:

Talking of Maxwellton st I remember hearing about the horseshoe in the road commemorating the witch trial executions and I recall something about a link with the Well that sits on the backcourt opposite Tannahills cottage. Any knowledge of this?

The horseshoe was placed above the graves of the witches to keep their evil spirits underground and prevent any curses being placed...allegedly.

The well you mention is in Gallow's Green, as you say it's on the grass between Queen St and MaxwelltonSt. This is the site of the execution of the witches  by hanging hence the name.

15 hours ago, ironsaints87 said:

That’s interesting. My gran lived at 12 Canal Terrace and I remember her telling me and showing me pictures of the old tenements along the whole of canal st up to Maxwellton St. Hard to imagine when you see wide open dual carriageway now. I used to love sitting at her veranda watching the coal trains shunt in and out of the coal yard across the road.

Back in this very thread, there are several pix of Canal Street and the crossing streets, posted by the very same Eric A.B!

Enjoy... I know i have...   :)

5 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The horseshoe was placed above the graves of the witches to keep their evil spirits underground and prevent any curses being placed...allegedly.

The well you mention is in Gallow's Green, as you say it's on the grass between Queen St and MaxwelltonSt. This is the site of the execution of the witches  by hanging hence the name.

And yet Gallow Green Road runs from the junction of Broomlands and Maxwellton Street to the roundabout at the foot of Well Street.

6 minutes ago, smcc said:

And yet Gallow Green Road runs from the junction of Broomlands and Maxwellton Street to the roundabout at the foot of Well Street.

That road has only been there for 20-odd years, the only way Gallow's Green Road could be closer to the site of Gallow's Green would be if the council renamed Maxwellton St or Queen St.

[emoji106]