Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I have been in the building in picture 19 just the once. And of course HSS and Pod correctly identified it as the Masonic Lodge in Maxwellton Rd.

I was invited to play snooker there one evening. It was a good night but they had (at that time) a custom of anyone that went to the bar had to offer everyone in the place a drink. Very noble and sociable but couldnt help thinking it would also generate many empty pay packets and alcoholics. Maybe its different now.

It serves as the residence for the following Lodges - Paisley St. Mirrins, Lodge Craigielea, Lodge Renfrew, County Kilwinning, Lodge Paisley St. James, Lodge Gleniffer. It is B Listed and built in 1886 originally as the clerks' Dining Hall of Ferguslie Thread Works.

Today's picture is PICTURE 20

post-2737-0-74591100-1331546483_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I have been in the building in picture 19 just the once. And of course HSS and Pod correctly identified it as the Masonic Lodge in Maxwellton Rd.

I was invited to play snooker there one evening. It was a good night but they had (at that time) a custom of anyone that went to the bar had to offer everyone in the place a drink. Very noble and sociable but couldnt help thinking it would also generate many empty pay packets and alcoholics. Maybe its different now.

Sonny,I have also noticed a building of interest with mill connection,along the road from the lodge at No.78. Any photos.Little known building.

Sonny,I have also noticed a building of interest with mill connection,along the road from the lodge at No.78. Any photos.Little known building.

I have more shots of buildings in that area that will be shown through time. PICTURE 9 was a gatehose to Ferguslie Mills. At least two other buildings on Maxwellton Rd are connected to the Ferguslie Mills and possibly a third if I can find out some more about it.

Todays looks like School Wynd but I don't know the building.

As for Mirin/Mirren?Is one male and the other female with us having the female spelling?

AFAIK that's correct but feck knows why we'd have opted for the female spelling when there was no actual St Mirren associated with Paisley ?

It serves as the residence for the following Lodges - Paisley St. Mirrins, Lodge Craigielea, Lodge Renfrew, County Kilwinning, Lodge Paisley St. James, Lodge Gleniffer. It is B Listed and built in 1886 originally as the clerks' Dining Hall of Ferguslie Thread Works.

Today's picture is PICTURE 20

Tenament in School wind. I went to look at a flat there when I was just married icon12.gif

Edited by insaintee

They must have been on the wind up.

I know one of the guys who was on their committee and in the late 80's and early 90's our football team regularly used the masonic for our fund raising race nights and quiz nights.

Spent many an evening in there on general bevvying and was never once asked to offer to buy drinks for others.

Our bus for the '87 cup final left from there.

Here's a wee clue for tomorrow ... smile.png

PICTURE 20 Clue

I see what you've done there Sonny, from one Masonic Lodge to another.

That's King Solomon that is, on the site of the previous Lodge, but since it's really tomorrow's clue I won't mention the location.

I dont doubt you FTOF. I was only in the place once and that night I noticed that everyone who went to the bar shouted 'does anyone want a drink'. Dont think they were doing that for my benefit. That would have been about 1980 I suppose. Maybe a passing phase or some weird ritual :)

The spelling of Mirren / Mirin is all down to historical timing and whatever political slant was flavour of the day. Mirren is associated with the oirish myth hence the oirish spelling. Mirin is the spelling associated with the historically correct spelling of Mirin the Northern Briton. He was later referred to as Myrddin, Welsh Brythonic...later squaffed into the more popular Merlin.