Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

9 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Incidentally, Alice is easily the worst of the 3 Chinese takeaways on Glasgow Rd,

Welcome Inn and Ivy are must less diarrhoea inducing.

Some people have an intolerance to MSG. I know I have it’s shit.

"Lyons House", Glasgow Rd,
The building hasn't changed at all, only the shops are different.
138799315_3524859737627035_6157707195257331966_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100%26ccb=2%26_nc_sid=0debeb%26_nc_ohc=VNdArA-YDrwAX-nAa8-%26_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx%26oh=03abe08898a6bbaabe5373b82c60aa85%26oe=6025AFEE&key=a7cd810687979078fd4005d6404634f4406a3ad2940e1cff6d6f268157af88fb
Present day...
image.png.cbfe6605ed39f3f3bfed773007c087ef.png
In a weird coincidence, I came out of Gleddoch Butchers, put the stuff in the car, decided to have a fag and a wee look in here while hanging about, and this was the first post I saw while standing right next to the very same building.

It's an omen, I tells ya. No idea what it's presaging but I know an omen when it slaps me in the face like that...

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Hey @antrin, your old school

Image may contain: sky, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Ta, EAB.  :)

Taken from the allotments below it looks like.

we played most of our local fitba on that flat bit of street, there.

(just above the “as seen on”)

good surface and no through traffic - and the noise annoyed fewer people living nearby.

(I’d left the school by the time that pic was taken.)

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Image may contain: plant, sky, flower and outdoor

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Same location as above

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor, text that says "Cotton St Demolition 1966 PAISLELIBERL PAISLEY LIBERAL ASSOCIATION T"

Was there two "Glasgow's" shops in Cotton Street, because one has a Salvation Army Hall beside it, the other, Paisley Liberal Association.  

The building being demolished is certainly a different one from the other.

And the shape of the grassed area with a  flower bed is different.

The benches in the demolition pic are backed onto a straight wall whereas...

...the two auld Buddies are standing beside a curved wall enclosing a flower bed. 

eta: I don't recall "Glasgow's" at all....

Edited by antrin

Anyone remember Galbraith’s? Seem to remember one in Glasgow Rd opposite the Sherwood chippy as a youngster which I believe is now a funeral directors. Think it used to be a Tool Hire shop for many years. Think it might have ceased trading around the time FineFare took up residence at the old ice rink site in Seedhill.

No doubt @Eric Arthur Blair will correct me as I’m probably wrong. 

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

Anyone remember Galbraith’s? Seem to remember one in Glasgow Rd opposite the Sherwood chippy as a youngster which I believe is now a funeral directors. Think it used to be a Tool Hire shop for many years. Think it might have ceased trading around the time FineFare took up residence at the old ice rink site in Seedhill.

No doubt @Eric Arthur Blair will correct me as I’m probably wrong. 

All over the town. had one in Braehead Road.  Galbraith's Store - Paisley Scotland

Galbraith supermarkets - Wikipedia

Edited by pod

3 hours ago, antrin said:

The building being demolished is certainly a different one from the other.

And the shape of the grassed area with a  flower bed is different.

The benches in the demolition pic are backed onto a straight wall whereas...

...the two auld Buddies are standing beside a curved wall enclosing a flower bed. 

eta: I don't recall "Glasgow's" at all....

The angle at which the two photos are taken are different. I suspect that the Sally Ann had moved to their new premise in Broomlands in the intervening years.

No doubt [mention=12059]Eric Arthur Blair[/mention] will correct me as I’m probably wrong. 
The building which now houses the funeral directors was Gillespie's car showroom. When they moved out it split into 2 units, Azad and then Global Video on the right, the one on the left lay empty for years. I can't recall it ever being a Galbraiths.

The building which now houses the funeral directors was Gillespie's car showroom. When they moved out it split into 2 units, Azad and then Global Video on the right, the one on the left lay empty for years. I can't recall it ever being a Galbraiths.

You are probably right. As you know my memory is goosed. I certainly don’t remember it anything but the places you mentioned from mid 70s onwards. It must have been in the high street that I remember getting taken too! I still hate shopping to this day!

When did FineFare open up in Seedhill?