Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

The building which now houses the funeral directors was Gillespie's car showroom. When they moved out it split into 2 units, Azad and then Global Video on the right, the one on the left lay empty for years. I can't recall it ever being a Galbraiths.

You are probably right. As you know my memory is goosed. I certainly don’t remember it anything but the places you mentioned from mid 70s onwards. It must have been in the high street that I remember getting taken too! I still hate shopping to this day!

When did FineFare open up in Seedhill?

5612207_46862133.jpg&key=3f2720052b441ea57e3c5aa5bce2ce021606501beda65572d6e365663d5c1807
I was sent to that building by the school careers office in 1985 for a job interview.

Stupid bassa's sent me to Blacklaw Lane instead of Blackhall Lane.

If I hadn't used my brain I could have ended up a spark at Morts Electical Services instead of a draughtsman all those years ago.

I was sent to that building by the school careers office in 1985 for a job interview.

Stupid bassa's sent me to Blacklaw Lane instead of Blackhall Lane.

If I hadn't used my brain I could have ended up a spark at Morts Electical Services instead of a draughtsman all those years ago.

Could have been worse. You could have become a pipe fitter!

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

You are probably right. As you know my memory is goosed. I certainly don’t remember it anything but the places you mentioned from mid 70s onwards. It must have been in the high street that I remember getting taken too! I still hate shopping to this day!

When did FineFare open up in Seedhill?

Long before I moved there, the Ice Rink was demolished in 1970 so it must have been early 70s .

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

If I hadn't used my brain I could have ended up a spark at Morts Electical Services instead of a draughtsman all those years ago. emoji848.png

I take umbrage to that remark. :( I served my time with Balfour Kilpatrick.   

Nearly chucked it to be a draughtsman, but it was a drayman they were looking for.  

2 hours ago, smcc said:

The angle at which the two photos are taken are different. I suspect that the Sally Ann had moved to their new premise in Broomlands in the intervening years.

Aye, the angle is different but it's two different beds - and not the same building.  The architecture is different - look at the windows on the floors between the bay windows.  Three on each floor in one pic and only two in the other.  The big protuberance on the roof might have helped pin it down, but you can't see it on both.

Foreby... if it was the same building, then Glasgow's has swapped places with the Liberal Association - cos neither is in the red sandstone colour of the nice Sally Army building.

Call me a pedant, but...

...I am.

18 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I asked my Mum, she says Glasgow's moved further down Cotton St away from the Salvation Army.

There was a "Glasgow's of Paisley" facing Dunn Square (next to Clydesdale Bank) in, I think, late 80's/early 90's.  Was that the same company?  I had never heard of them until that shop opened.  Dunno what it sold, was never in it.

3 minutes ago, Slarti said:

There was a "Glasgow's of Paisley" facing Dunn Square (next to Clydesdale Bank) in, I think, late 80's/early 90's.  Was that the same company?  I had never heard of them until that shop opened.  Dunno what it sold, was never in it.

Don't recall one from the 80s/90s.

The one in Cotton St sold toys and prams.

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Long before I moved there, the Ice Rink was demolished in 1970 so it must have been early 70s .

Ice rink was demolished 1973.

Edited by HSS

When did the name change to castlehead? Or should I say, when did the concrete shambles that I went to in foxbar take the name camphill?
About 1971 I think. Then they knocked the old one down and built Castlehead.

Might be a few years out there. Can't remember if my brother had to do his last year at the new one or whether he was in the first 1st years at the new one. So somewhere between 67/68 and 71/72. Mibbe.

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:
10 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:
When did the name change to castlehead? Or should I say, when did the concrete shambles that I went to in foxbar take the name camphill?

Before my time, in saying that I'm surprised camphill hadn't fell to bits by time I left in 88. 

7 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Might be a few years out there. Can't remember if my brother had to do his last year at the new one or whether he was in the first 1st years at the new one. So somewhere between 67/68 and 71/72. Mibbe. emoji38.png

Must have been pre 1970 as I went there in 1970 till 1975.

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Must have been pre 1970 as I went there in 1970 till 1975.

My kids did ask not so long ago what school I went to, so I showed them the pics of camphill in foxbar, the look of horror said it all from the younger ones and eldest said it looked like Alcatraz. No fancy academies then😃. Don't think I've ever come across anyone that could shout louder than mr Miller, p.e teacher since

1 minute ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

My kids did ask not so long ago what school I went to, so I showed them the pics of camphill in foxbar, the look of horror said it all from the younger ones and eldest said it looked like Alcatraz. No fancy academies then😃. Don't think I've ever come across anyone that could shout louder than mr Miller, p.e teacher since

I got six of the belt from him once, still hurts to this day. 

I never misbehaved again, funny that. :rolleyes:

Just now, faraway saint said:

I got six of the belt from him once, still hurts to this day. 

I never misbehaved again, funny that. :rolleyes:

They had done away with that when I was still at foxbar primary. Miller didn't need the belt tho I remember him hollering in my face after sending me off cos he thought I had hit him with ball. "YOU BOY............" jeez!