Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

7 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I've been able to do a wee bit more research and the maps below begin to tell the picture.

1st Map 1947 clearly showing the Alex opposite the RAH on the corner of Orr St

2nd Map same in 1951

3rd map is a 1965 edition, but actually was already 3 years out of date as the area was surveyed in '62 and still shows the Alex Cinema building.

4th map 1967 showing what might appear to be a petrol station with the number 23 Neilston Road

lastly today

Alex cinema 1947.jpg

Alex cinema 1951.jpg

Alex cinema site 1965.jpg

Alex cinema site 1967.jpg

Alex cinema site Now.jpg

Yeah, the 4th one looks like the way the petrol station was laid out.

This could have been posted before, apologies, but it's a very strong memory for me as I spent my first 20 years around this area. 
Caledonia Street

A classic shot from Caledonia Street that has done its rounds in the past but great to see again is this one of a McGills of Barrhead Leyland Titan at its terminus outside the Fountain Gardens in the early 1970's. Within the Park are the long removed Public Loos and on the corner of Blytheswood Drive Pacinis Caledonia Cafe, great for a Coke or a Cone on a nice summers day. I can remember a Butchers and a Chemist shop amongst the others but can anyone remember the others, or names ?
160949943_3684884674957873_8505834343983541538_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109%26ccb=1-3%26_nc_sid=730e14%26_nc_ohc=i_ZE9nAiNF0AX-OWPXF%26_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx%26oh=e0cf9bd68ae0e519463990430ee6cc03%26oe=60773345&key=45888ae73a28124a888910f7f52241fce14c2cc408cc6c73ddde45d1ed557b1b

Directly outside my old house when i moved from Foxbar - 37 Caledonia St - Above the off license

It was good having fountain gardens and love st on the doorstep [emoji4]

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

It was called The Flywheel.

I do remember the petrol station,funny how the mind works.I was thinking the Alex was at the corner of South Campbell St but I must have been getting mixed up with St Charles Halls.To be fair I was just a wean at the time..............

4 minutes ago, HSS said:

I do remember the petrol station,funny how the mind works.I was thinking the Alex was at the corner of South Campbell St but I must have been getting mixed up with St Charles Halls.To be fair I was just a wean at the time..............

I wasn't even a twinkle in my Dad's eye, long before my time. I mind seeing a picture of The Flywheel on FB, that's the only reason I know about it.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Did a bit of work for my dad's mate who owned arrowhead removals doing the decanting work when the redevelopment was going on. To be fair imo it would have been money better spent to improve the housing stock oposed to demolishing it and new builds everywhere at the time as those that were demolished fairly solid homes.

Aye

My auld faither who was joiner/fireman said they houses were excellent built

Really well built of a high standard

I wasn't even a twinkle in my Dad's eye, long before my time. I mind seeing a picture of The Flywheel on FB, that's the only reason I know about it.
Here was me thinking you were older than me, too. The petrol station was definitely still there in 1983 and probably for (quite) a few years after that.

4 minutes ago, Slarti said:
53 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Here was me thinking you were older than me, too. The petrol station was definitely still there in 1983 and probably for (quite) a few years after that.

I was never up that end of town until post 1987.

Strangely enough, I lived in Stock street from 1979 to 1984, and worked in Neilston Road for most of my adult life, but I don't remember that petrol station. Funny how the mind works.
Aye, that's true, my brother's 3 years younger than me and says he remembers the jail in County Square, I have no memory of it at all. I remember the piazza being built but nothing of what was there beforehand.

Some people in here might have worked in the doomed car plant in Linwood..................

"Hello all,

My name is Kim Carnie and I work for Sgeul Media, a TV production company based in Glasgow. We are currently looking into the Hillman Imp and the factory in Linwood with the view to make a documentary for the BBC. We would love to speak to people who worked at the Hillman Imp factory, or those whose parents, family etc. worked there.

My number is 07487857200 and email [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,
Kim" 

May be an image of car

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Some people in here might have worked in the doomed car plant in Linwood..................

"Hello all,

My name is Kim Carnie and I work for Sgeul Media, a TV production company based in Glasgow. We are currently looking into the Hillman Imp and the factory in Linwood with the view to make a documentary for the BBC. We would love to speak to people who worked at the Hillman Imp factory, or those whose parents, family etc. worked there.

My number is 07487857200 and email [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,
Kim" 

May be an image of car

That factory was never in Linwood

Same as the Airport isn't in Glasgow