Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

7 minutes ago, pod said:

Dr Bannatyne  was our doc at same practise.  When you entered his surgery, he never looked up, just asked " how many days you wanting off" 

He was our family Doc too.

My sister was married to one of Dr McGregors sons!!!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

Cheers salmonbud 👍🏼 only seen a Daily Record headline about it... came on here to tell Eric Arthur Blair to look out for it.. he's the man for this thread among others of course..  shull beat me to it,  will watch it after the fitba 

• 3 weeks later...

Then and Now

Quite a few years ago I bought a job lot of pictures and paintings from an auction house up in Glasgow just to fill walls. One of the pictures was an old photograph in black & white of nothing I could recognise as it was a scene in the countryside of some trees, but it was a good photo of its time and was sharp and quite scenic.

I have recently moved house and needless to say all paintings and pictures were removed from the old house and then assessed by she who knows best about these things before being put up in the new house.

On the back of this photo was a label from (presumably) 4th March 1907 with the details of the framer etc for 40 High Street Paisley.

What's interesting is the telephone number. I had no idea such short numbers ever existed. It must have been the early days of Paisley having a phone system? Can anyone add anything to this detail?

P1060445_1280x653.thumb.JPG.61514b4bad426b3f944c3e423733a6a8.JPG

The second photo is a screenshot of 40 High Street today on the extreme left of the photo. I think I know which trade I prefer and might make more use of!

1659944403_40HighStreetPaisley-Now.thumb.jpg.9490a73dfb48c1da594766ece13133cc.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

In fact I have found a little more about Mr Sawers from the entries in the Paisley Directory and general advertiser of that era:

"Sawers, Joseph, carver and gilder, 40 High street; tel. No. 52 y1
— house 54 do."

It appears as though he was born in 1839 and died in 1910. At some time he also worked from 63 High Street and also the company was known as Joseph Sawers and Son. However there is information out there suggesting his son was a "writer"; "Sawers, Joseph, jun., writer, of Young & Martin — ho. 54 High st."

IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN FIND OUT THERE ON THE WEB! - The world will no doubt be able to catch us all in detail in time to come.

I looked at the pic and may offer an observation….

I think he was a Geordie.

like personalised number plates these trashy days, Sawers had a personalised phone number… if the Y I. Is a solid indicator.

and it might be.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that picture earlier on twitter, such fantastic detail. Look at the curve in Canal St just after its junction with Causeyside St., much sharper than it is now.

How much the junction of Seedhill Road and Kilnside Rd and Seedhill Rd and Bank St has changed. Kilnside house which became The Talk of the Town and The Cue Ball.

The wee bridge from Lonend to where Morrison's is now and that there was a road bridge between the Mile End mills and the Anchor Rec.

The Lighthouse pub and the garage across the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be interesting if you had any family members that worked at the Mills.

Free Tours of Anchor Mills, plus refreshments.
Thanks to funding from the
Robertson Trust & the Corra Foundation.
Saturday the 4th of September. Working with Shopmobiltiy Renfrewshire, if you have mobility issues, that's not a problem. We can provide a scooter or wheel chair for your convenience.
Please phn Shopmobility on 0141.889.0441.
And the Paisley Peoples Archive will call you straight back. Tours should last around an hour, tea/coffee and sweet treat provided.

May be an image of outdoors and brick wall

I remember this shop Menzies quite well. Before the days of supermarkets it was one of the better food stores in town.

They used to have these very heavy delivery bikes that had a big holding space in the front for delivering boxes of food to customers. No gears on the bikes in these days, so must have been hellish trying to go uphill in one! 😅

Inside they had one of these meat carving machines which they could adjust, varying the thickness of the cut of gammon or bacon. Sawdust on the floors and marble worktops if I remember correctly.

Of course they didn't stand a chance once Argyll Stores or Coopers Fine Fayre came along, but it had its day in the 50's and 60's.241425590_MenziesAcrossfromtheAbbey.jpg.cbe4bb4aaaf50249d2add98ecc9c2cfa.jpg

I think this is the pedestrian bridge that crossed the Cart as you made your way to Love St. off Abercorn St.

It was handy to walk down through there either from the bus stop at the cross or finding somewhere to park the car when there was a reasonable crowd at the ground.

1522945007_ThebridgetoLoveSt.jpg.3c8c0b5c79d4d3237c3678ec2c4f35ee.jpg

25 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I think this is the pedestrian bridge that crossed the Cart as you made your way to Love St. off Abercorn St.

It was handy to walk down through there either from the bus stop at the cross or finding somewhere to park the car when there was a reasonable crowd at the ground.

Have be told it's re-opening or already has.

Getting done up this now, not sure when it's due to be finished.

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Screenshot_20210904-070306_Facebook.jpg

Just a wee bit of an improvement. Only to be spoilt by new (ish) built houses. Or is it I've been living down here a long time as all I remember was an Arnold Clark garage (if I remember right) on Love Street side and Abbott engineering on Abercorn Street side.