Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Might be interesting if you had any family members that worked at the Mills.

Free Tours of Anchor Mills, plus refreshments.
Thanks to funding from the
Robertson Trust & the Corra Foundation.
Saturday the 4th of September. Working with Shopmobiltiy Renfrewshire, if you have mobility issues, that's not a problem. We can provide a scooter or wheel chair for your convenience.
Please phn Shopmobility on 0141.889.0441.
And the Paisley Peoples Archive will call you straight back. Tours should last around an hour, tea/coffee and sweet treat provided.

May be an image of outdoors and brick wall

I remember this shop Menzies quite well. Before the days of supermarkets it was one of the better food stores in town.

They used to have these very heavy delivery bikes that had a big holding space in the front for delivering boxes of food to customers. No gears on the bikes in these days, so must have been hellish trying to go uphill in one! 😅

Inside they had one of these meat carving machines which they could adjust, varying the thickness of the cut of gammon or bacon. Sawdust on the floors and marble worktops if I remember correctly.

Of course they didn't stand a chance once Argyll Stores or Coopers Fine Fayre came along, but it had its day in the 50's and 60's.241425590_MenziesAcrossfromtheAbbey.jpg.cbe4bb4aaaf50249d2add98ecc9c2cfa.jpg

I think this is the pedestrian bridge that crossed the Cart as you made your way to Love St. off Abercorn St.

It was handy to walk down through there either from the bus stop at the cross or finding somewhere to park the car when there was a reasonable crowd at the ground.

1522945007_ThebridgetoLoveSt.jpg.3c8c0b5c79d4d3237c3678ec2c4f35ee.jpg

25 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I think this is the pedestrian bridge that crossed the Cart as you made your way to Love St. off Abercorn St.

It was handy to walk down through there either from the bus stop at the cross or finding somewhere to park the car when there was a reasonable crowd at the ground.

Have be told it's re-opening or already has.

Getting done up this now, not sure when it's due to be finished. [emoji106]

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Screenshot_20210904-070306_Facebook.jpg

Just a wee bit of an improvement. Only to be spoilt by new (ish) built houses. Or is it I've been living down here a long time as all I remember was an Arnold Clark garage (if I remember right) on Love Street side and Abbott engineering on Abercorn Street side.

3 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Just a wee bit of an improvement. Only to be spoilt by new (ish) built houses. Or is it I've been living down here a long time as all I remember was an Arnold Clark garage (if I remember right) on Love Street side and Abbott engineering on Abercorn Street side.

I think the garage was originally Gillespie's of Paisley and was later taken over by Carlaw's, the family of Tory MSP Jackson Carlaw.

I remember Gillespie's being on Glasgow road as a Toyota dealer. Only because it was one of thefew  my dad didn't like going into. Been thinking about it, it may not have even been an Arnold Clark dealership, may even have been part of the Peat Road Motors empire that seemed to be everywhere in mid 80s to early 90s. Remember us getting a mini then a metro from said garage. When it came to cars dad had terrible taste then.

14 hours ago, smcc said:

I think the garage was originally Gillespie's of Paisley and was later taken over by Carlaw's, the family of Tory MSP Jackson Carlaw.

The showroom used to sell Hackney taxis I think the Company was Patons and they were there from early 2000s at least

16 hours ago, smcc said:

It was Gillespie's originally. Largely Austin Morris for most of the '70's/early 80's.

Found this elsewhere.

Does anyone have memories of Paisley's motor trade?

Let's start with David Blane and sons. Old David started the business before the war selling American cars; Hudsons and Pontiacs. Ended up with the Jaguar dealership and VW agency. I did some warranty work on Jags then. They lost the agency in the Leyland years and went to Datsun. They had a beautiful showroom with an apartment above. It's now a piece of waste ground!

Then there was Gillespies in Love Street and Glasgow Road who were Wolseley, Austin/Morris, MG and in the early days Jowett. They are gone.

Also Pottie's for Vauxhall and Bedford light commercial across from the Sheriff Court. They had the slowest, most incompetent parts department in the whole country. You took your flask and sleeping bag when you went to buy parts! They are gone.

Low's Garage supplied Opel cars including the underrated Manta. They too have disappeared.

Then Goudie's Garage were the main dealers for the Rootes group, which of course were manufactured just down the road in Linwood. No longer there, nor is the factory!

Then McFadyen's Garage in Shuttle Street. Main dealers for Rover and Triumph, ran by my old and great friend David Millar, sadly long departed way before his time. The nicest, most honest man I have ever dealt with in the motor trade.

Also gone and another victim of the Leyland years.

Then Young's Ford depot, who became Clanford, the employer of the most ignorant counter staff encountered in the trade. I think they were on bonuses to see how many customers they could offend in a week!!

The showroom is still there but is an independent.

Edited by FTOF

49 minutes ago, HSS said:

Are we not talking about New Sneddon St?

Was Gillespies not in thru the pend at the start of the shops on Love St?

The pend in Love St was where they did the mechanical work. The showroom was in Glasgow Rd and is now a funeral director, Greggs, hairdressers and bookies.

17 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The pend in Love St was where they did the mechanical work. The showroom was in Glasgow Rd and is now a funeral director, Greggs, hairdressers and bookies.

I knew there was a connection somewhere

That place became Love Street Motors which was part owned by Stewart Gilmour 

Got to say all this is really great with all these old dealerships and certainly no doubt a lot of people had bought unreliable rot boxes over the years as it did come as standard with most British built cars of that time.

Got me remembering back to when I went to Reid Kerr 88-92 on day release as an apprentice, our group in motor mechanics dept had only 2 actual apprentice car mechanics, rest of us were either HGV or plant mechanics and those 2 weren't attached to any garage in Paisley. Would appear the decline on dealerships was already going then.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, Cookie Monster said:

Screenshot_20210904-070306_Facebook.jpg

That looks bloody good compared to the last 25 years, and I will give 👍 to the Council for once for coming up with the money and the proposal to refurbish it. (of course nothing to do with the finance convenor skipping across it daily to go and see her granny😜 back in the day!).

On a separate entry Schull suggested he was going head down there with his fishing rod, what would you expect to catch down there fairly close to the estuarial waters Schull? I know there is the odd salmon passing through, but what else might you get down there?

3 minutes ago, Slash said:

Does anyone know what the steel monstrosity being erected on Bridge Street is going to be? I believe it’s on the site of the old nightclub The Institute. 

Commercial property on the ground floor and flats above

https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/green-light-for-34-new-flats-in-paisley

Edited by HSS

6 minutes ago, Slash said:

Thar could easily be a self portrait of me. Simpler times mate. We were the original eco warriors. Litter cleaning, recycling and entrepreneurship at its finest.

Many European countries have deposits on bottles, cans etc where you get money back on deposit. If we implemented similar schemes we would see less litter in our country.

In Singapore they introduced many measures to keep their country clean the results are incredible. Even the public toilets are impeccably clean. 

Simpler times, if you came across 3 or 4 bottles you were immediately rich.

I seem to remember it was threepence on a bottle? 

Sometimes the money was spent immediately, other times saved for Mr Whippy on a Friday.

Decisions decisions.