Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 12/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, HSS said:

Here’s a wee pic of the Weigh Bridge at Abercorn St which I remember well Anybuddie remember an other Weigh Bridge in Paisley?

2B0B6A3B-0EAF-4FAD-9990-A79DCE37CBD2.jpeg

Great photo. So much in it. Two Street cleaners. Looks like they missed the large bin when emptying theirs. My Aunt worked in O'Mays the Bakers.

Took the same "shortcut" many times as the girl passing the Weighbridge. Will stand corrected but from memory was the scrap merchant opposite the footbridge called Arthurs and before them was it Rae the Coal Merchant? Looking at the aerial photo, there could be a siding from just passed the Abercorn Station and if i am right it would have serviced the coal merchants. (Just like Canal Street). I have a vague recollection of a siding.

The other Weighbridge was in Ferguslie main road. Correct rabuddies not our comprehensive.

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Will let antrin answer as I'm too young to know it. emoji16.png

8 hours ago, Slarti said:

Antrin's only useful for pictures from before yon motorised vehicle thingies were invented. :whistle

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

What was the question?

we’ve had this pic afore.  
Barr Place (Barr Place as was, before demolition and rebuild, where I grew up) looking towards George Street.

4 shops left to right.

Alistair’s (a dairy/general shop), Claude Hannah licensed grocer(used to be the chippie), Butchers ( was Tom Smith who sold it to his apprentice Charlie Green) and WL Miller, hidden behind thon metal thingy. (Dunno what Miller’s was but in the 50s into the early 60s it was a Galbraith’s store.)

Just now, antrin said:

What was the question?

Barr Place (Barr Place as was, before demolition and rebuild, where I grew up) looking towards George Street.

4 shops left to right.

Alistair’s (a dairy/general shop), Claude Hannah licensed grocer(used to be the chippie), Butchers ( was Tom Smith who sold it to his apprentice Charlie Green) and WL Miller, hidden behind thon metal thingy. (Dunno what Miller’s was but in the 50s into the early 60s it was a Galbraith’s store.)

Errata: Barr Street, as was….

On 12/16/2021 at 1:41 AM, hamlet said:

Great photo. So much in it. Two Street cleaners. Looks like they missed the large bin when emptying theirs. My Aunt worked in O'Mays the Bakers.

Took the same "shortcut" many times as the girl passing the Weighbridge. Will stand corrected but from memory was the scrap merchant opposite the footbridge called Arthurs and before them was it Rae the Coal Merchant? Looking at the aerial photo, there could be a siding from just passed the Abercorn Station and if i am right it would have serviced the coal merchants. (Just like Canal Street). I have a vague recollection of a siding.

The other Weighbridge was in Ferguslie main road. Correct rabuddies not our comprehensive.

My dad was a baker worked in O'Mays for years 

My dad was in the one in Ailsa Drive, got a bit of a shock the first time I saw all the tenements had been demolished.

As contradictory as it sounds, I genuinely don’t mind being old, but I definitely miss my youth

Growing up in Paisley for me was a good experience

I can no longer visit where I lived and went to school - I hate seeing my childhood memories of areas wiped out

Living in Lexwell Rd , Foxbar was great overlooking Red Rock Canyon/ Witches Dens/ Golf Course we used to cut through to go to Elderslie baths - all unrecognisable now obviously

Caledonia St number 37 where we moved still stands overlooking Fountain Gardens

So, seeing all the old pictures is magic

Grateful for everyone who posts a picture or memories

Still my favourite thread, never ever ruined only ever added to

8 hours ago, antrin said:

What was the question?

4 shops left to right.

Interesting, A Charlie Green also took over the butchers shop on Braehead road in Glenburn mid to late 70’s and that was said to be the owner selling to his apprentice. Did Tam Smith own that one too.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

Interesting, A Charlie Green also took over the butchers shop on Braehead road in Glenburn mid to late 70’s and that was said to be the owner selling to his apprentice. Did Tam Smith own that one too.

I worked before and after school in Tommy Smith's in the late 60s. It was a bit later that Charlie was given (not sold) the shop in George St. Charlie ran the shop well when I was there. I was not aware of a shop on Braehead Rd. At that point Tommy Smith was semi-retired and only popped for a short while each day to see everything was OK and we were not eating frying steak and Scotch tomatoes on our rolls at lunch and breakfast!

Charlie did not do so well on his own , although I believe his bookie and barman did......

Edited by ianmac