Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Now that building brings back more memories that the one on the other side of the road does.

I remember mum paying the stamp at the window, and visiting Santa on the ground floor, which I think was the electrical department at one time? It also had my favourite cafe on the top floor - I loved sitting at the big windows and watching everything below.

Did you go to South School or did other schools use The Rec too?

Camphill always used the Rec for sports days too. Not long after I left school, I once got my end away on those concrete steps in the first photo. Fourth one up, on the left hand side. Wonder if she remembers?

i used to go to anchor rec all the time, i never worked in the mill but the wife did and her and some pals worked as waitresses/barmaids in the rec when the place was quite popular in the late 70's . it had cabarets dances etc friday/sat and sunday nights, i didn't have to pay too much for my drink in those days - not that the wife gave me freebies - it was her mates who sneaked me the odd pint

My dad played amateur level football for Anchor AFC, so me and my brother would get dragged along there on saturdays to watch the game. Then in the evening he'd play guitar in one of the bars upstairs. Me and my bro would get perched on a couple of bar stolls in the corner with a coke and crisps each. I also remember playing table tennis in a room in the basement, think they had snooker/pool tables in there too. On the outside steps I seem to remember there being loads of benches to sit on. Trying to recall if there were tennis courts round the back or not ? This would have been around thirty years ago.

Did you go to South School or did other schools use The Rec too?

No HSS, Camphill. However I seem to remember also competing at Seedhill?

As Ricky says, old Camphill also used to use the Rec as its sports day venue. (At which 'Sanda' was always top house cos of the fabulous athletes in it... smile.png )

For the first time on this thread Bluto you are wrong. 'Toward' were the Athlete Kings smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Now that building brings back more memories that the one on the other side of the road does.

I remember mum paying the stamp at the window, and visiting Santa on the ground floor, which I think was the electrical department at one time? It also had my favourite cafe on the top floor - I loved sitting at the big windows and watching everything below.

Remember the way things were paid for via these tubes that seemed to be sucked around through pipes? I remember Santa but most of all I remember the cafe and my weekly treat of co-op cola and a cake. Like Insaintee I too remember the 'gent's outfitter' for boys' clothes and school uniforms. Seems like a past life now :)

You are right about the he Gamesroom in the Basement FS ! It had 3 full size Snooker tables that I played on many a Tuesday and Thursday ? Can you remember the Big Baths downstairs FS ?

You are also correct about the tennis courts at the Rear of the Rec next to the Football Park ? They had benches on the steps of both side's of the Building.

The head Groundsman had a cottage at the Entrance of the Rec ( Tom Speirs ) I think was his name.

Trying to remember the baths, were they in the changing rooms for the football teams ? Vaguely recall the smell of steam and carbolic soap wafting out the dressing rooms on match days, Yep I remember the cottage, and also remembering all the signed photos of cabaret acts pinned up in the bar. The Mighty Atom & Roy, Lennie Bennett and I think a certain Jim Davidson had his photo up there too. Come to think of it, the Rec was a pretty big part of the Paisley social scene nack in the 1970/80's.

You are right about the he Gamesroom in the Basement FS ! It had 3 full size Snooker tables that I played on many a Tuesday and Thursday ? Can you remember the Big Baths downstairs FS ?

You are also correct about the tennis courts at the Rear of the Rec next to the Football Park ? They had benches on the steps of both side's of the Building.

The head Groundsman had a cottage at the Entrance of the Rec ( Tom Speirs ) I think was his name.

Another alias ?

Brings back so many memories. My Grampa was a foreman in the Finishing Works and got me a membership for pennies. Had tennis coaching on Saturday mornings in the summer and watched the cricket on a Sunday. Spent a lot of the school hols there and played snooker there before I ever played at the Working Mens Abstainers Club.

On an earlier point about the snooker club near the Glen Cinema it was above Burtons on the corner of Gauze Street / Gilmour Street (Sorry if somebody's already posted on this).

Is this just about the best thread on the site or am I just getting old? spudnikconfounded.gif

It wasn't till the advent of mass printing and reading that a consistency in any spelling came about, cos it was realised that doing so would make a message easier to be communicated/understood.

As Ricky says, old Camphill also used to use the Rec as its sports day venue. (At which 'Sanda' was always top house cos of the fabulous athletes in it... smile.png )

I've got a wee b+w pic of me sitting on those steps - as part of Camphill's cricket team.

I don't think we had houses in Stanely Green. But we did have the best school motto ever "not self alone" make of that what you will

I don't think we had houses in Stanely Green. But we did have the best school motto ever "not self alone" make of that what you will

Think they did. Early sixties.

Moredun,Gleniffer,the other two I think were called Brediland and Amochrie or something like that.

Maybe someone else will recall and correct me.

Edited by pod