Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

This weeks 'Then' photo from the Heritage Library is a look West along Gauze Street from Cotton Street c.1970. A Mk2 Ford Cortina pulls out of Lawn Street whilst a Vauxhall Victor waits at the lights at Arnotts anda Volkswagon Beetle at the lights at Cotton Street. Ahead, Grants Furniture Shop can be seen at the Terrace Buildings, as can the Royal Bank of Scotland at the corner of Smithhills as part of the Piazza

May be an image of 5 people and outdoors

A bit before my time but I made my way down Porterfield road many a time over the years.

Cracking picture of Standard Tram 57 taken from about the fire station in Renfrew. Porterfield Road can be seen just behind the tram where the large Babcock & Wilcox had their works. Note the entrance to Moorpark Cinema between sweetie shop and the chippy.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

This weeks 'Then' photo from the Heritage Library is a look West along Gauze Street from Cotton Street c.1970. A Mk2 Ford Cortina pulls out of Lawn Street whilst a Vauxhall Victor waits at the lights at Arnotts anda Volkswagon Beetle at the lights at Cotton Street. Ahead, Grants Furniture Shop can be seen at the Terrace Buildings, as can the Royal Bank of Scotland at the corner of Smithhills as part of the Piazza

Ahh proper Paisley!!! Fair enough i didn't come along until 72 but more or less the same from what I remember. 

55 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

We actually had a nice wee town once upon a time…. I miss how it was in many respects

What is really disgusting these days is the amount of litter and dog shit every fcuking where. I own a dog and regularly clean up after other dog owners and pick up discarded plastic and glass bottles. 

So many foreign tourists leave Scotland thinking beautiful scenery spoilt by litter. 

1 minute ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

What is really disgusting these days is the amount of litter and dog shit every fcuking where. I own a dog and regularly clean up after other dog owners and pick up discarded plastic and glass bottles. 

So many foreign tourists leave Scotland thinking beautiful scenery spoilt by litter. 

I mentioned a few years ago, dismissed by Oaky, that there's been a slow, but sure, decline in the public's desire to give a fcuk about anybody else.

I was discussing tonight that Scotrail are asking the public if the current ban on drinking on trains should remain.

Another example of a few fannies who can't handle their drink and not giving a monkeys about anybody else, so the majority are penalised.

Aye, tragic and I can only see more severe penalties and heavier "policing" to reduce this sort of behaviour. 

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Bad enough that the dugs shit in the street, but the owners?

Things are way worse than i previously thought

About litter:

Local government used to employ folk who’d clean up.

government used to advocate/advertise/yell about picking up your own litter.  

Such basic education has been set aside.

it IS an education thing - not something about which people have an innate understanding..

as a lad, I was in a cousi’s house and we had sweeties….

I was shocked that him and his brothers ripped off the wrappers and chucked them at their arses.

I asked if they liked their mother or not…

why else assume that she’ll clean and tidy up behind you?

I was challenged… but they did eventually get the point.

individual responsibility… is something that government and leaders ought to constantly reinforce.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I mentioned a few years ago, dismissed by Oaky, that there's been a slow, but sure, decline in the public's desire to give a fcuk about anybody else.

I was discussing tonight that Scotrail are asking the public if the current ban on drinking on trains should remain.

Another example of a few fannies who can't handle their drink and not giving a monkeys about anybody else, so the majority are penalised.

Aye, tragic and I can only see more severe penalties and heavier "policing" to reduce this sort of behaviour. 

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.  I have taken the train to and from Edinburgh a few Friday evenings for nights out over the last few months.  The amount of booze consumed by youngsters and twats that never grew up between Inverkeithing and Edinburgh which is only a 20 minute run, is prodigious to say the least.  I'd hate to  be a worker on these services and you often see some people moving seats to get away from them.  It's not a small minority i'm afraid but a sizeable one.

I decided to give up train drinking after an incident travelling back from Aberdeen after a trip offshore.  I had been really friendly with a highly intelligent welding supervisor who used to use the night-shift to make educated and compelling arguments on issues like nature, the law, geo-politics, religion, etc and he could do it all without getting upset or offending someone.  Get on a train and add a half-can of Mcewans and he went from having a theological discussion with a a couple of nuns to a slobbering wreck.  "effing nuns, cruel sadistic bitches, that's what ye are-frustrated lesbian nymphs the lot of ye".  That was the pleasantries over and i realised i had a raging alcoholic on my hands.  Luckily he fell asleep and woke up at Dundee wondering why the nuns had moved to the other end.

4 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.  I have taken the train to and from Edinburgh a few Friday evenings for nights out over the last few months.  The amount of booze consumed by youngsters and twats that never grew up between Inverkeithing and Edinburgh which is only a 20 minute run, is prodigious to say the least.  I'd hate to  be a worker on these services and you often see some people moving seats to get away from them.  It's not a small minority i'm afraid but a sizeable one.

I decided to give up train drinking after an incident travelling back from Aberdeen after a trip offshore.  I had been really friendly with a highly intelligent welding supervisor who used to use the night-shift to make educated and compelling arguments on issues like nature, the law, geo-politics, religion, etc and he could do it all without getting upset or offending someone.  Get on a train and add a half-can of Mcewans and he went from having a theological discussion with a a couple of nuns to a slobbering wreck.  "effing nuns, cruel sadistic bitches, that's what ye are-frustrated lesbian nymphs the lot of ye".  That was the pleasantries over and i realised i had a raging alcoholic on my hands.  Luckily he fell asleep and woke up at Dundee wondering why the nuns had moved to the other end.

Nice story. 

4 hours ago, antrin said:

C’mon, fartaway…

…you know bevvied folk have less respect/understanding of the unbevvied…?

when you are bevvied, your “respect” of others is altered.

Eh?

That WASN'T what was said. #

Again tantrum, you're reading into a post something that clearly wasn't indicated, not like you. 

Not at all. The minority who wish to drink respecting the views of the majority who don’t.

Why does it show disrespect? 

Edited by faraway saint

That is the famous British Restaurant to the right of the Watermill in the early 1960s. There was another one in the town hall. Anyone know where the third was ?
In 1943, 2,160 British restaurants served 600,000 meals a day. Originally called 'Community Feeding Centres', the name British Restaurants was chosen by Winston Churchill. The name was later changed to 'Civic Restaurant'.
The Lighthouse pub is on the left. Hamilton's garage on the right.
Photo - copyright Renfrewshire Council.
No photo description available.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Eh?

That WASN'T what was said. #

Again tantrum, you're reading into a post something that clearly wasn't indicated, not like you. 

Not at all. The minority who wish to drink respecting the views of the majority who don’t.

Why does it show disrespect? 

I think that I may have given you more credit than you deserve regading your ability to read and comprehend.

That kind gentleman, Antrin, put the same meaning into a simple parable that I thought was very helpful as an aid to your understanding.

Drink changes behaviours. Drink changes perceptions. The point is that the minority who choose to drink on trains do not see or are aware of (nor care) about the impact on fellow passengers. This in itself, is disrespectful. The changed behaviours, particularly in groups , impact adversely on the experience of other travellers (the majority). 

But you know that.