Jump to content

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.


Sonny
 Share

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I went to a tailor in 1971/1972 in the piazza for my made to measure suits. 

Got a wee book and you paid it up weekly. 

Could it have been Burton before they moved to the corner of the High St and Gilmour St  🤔

I know Burton's was on the corner long before the Piazza was built. THere was a  Burton's dance hall in my mum and dad's heyday. It may have been above the shop.

I do know there was Goldbergs on the right hand corner, just out of view of the picture.

Edited by stlucifer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ianmac said:

I remember back in the day getting a suit in a tailor's which must have been just out of this picture on the bottom left. I can't remember the name of it.

And, no, it wasn't for a court appearance, it was for a wedding.

Hepworths the Tailors.  At the time, the were the biggest clothing manufacturer in the UK.  They basically invented ready to wear mens clothing in the mid 1800's and eventually started to sell direct in their own stores.  They always advertised quality at reasonable prices.  They were certainly better than the competition and I bought a few suits from them around that time but I would dispute their use of the word "reasonable".  They also sold Hardy Amies stuff in the 70's.  They are now known as Next.

Edited by rabuddies
Forgot about HA.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Hepworths the Tailors.  At the time, the were the biggest clothing manufacturer in the UK.  They basically invented ready to wear mens clothing in the mid 1800's and eventually started to sell direct in their own stores.  They always advertised quality at reasonable prices.  They were certainly better than the competition and I bought a few suits from them around that time but I would dispute their use of the word "reasonable".  They also sold Hardy Amies stuff in the 70's.  They are now known as Next.

Thanks for that. I would never have remembered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I paid up lots of made to measure suits, trousers and jackets in the mid/late 70's, I felt rich on apprentice wages mate. 🤣

It was the only way i could afford it on a apprentice wage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ianmac said:

I remember back in the day getting a suit in a tailor's which must have been just out of this picture on the bottom left. I can't remember the name of it.

And, no, it wasn't for a court appearance, it was for a wedding.

Was there not a Jackson the Tailors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HSS said:

Mr Bumble was a clothes shop in the Piazza

Yes, forgot about that. I got some of my ned gear in there, like Skinners - Yellow, Petrol Blue, Green etc and a couple of waistcoats, one of which I was wearing on a fateful night in Girvan ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve said previously, like many of you all that this is by far and away the best thread on here, by quite a distance

I’m genuinely grateful for the pictures/comments and memories you all share

I genuinely really don’t mind being older 53 - but, I really miss my youth and Paisley from when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s

We’ve all got great wee stories to share and It’s sad there’s nothing in recent times to come close to what you all share on here

Still a town in decline but can it recover in our lifetime?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Chelsea boy and chelsea girl eventually became topman, topgirl and topshop

Just checked with my Sis n law.  Chelsea Boy & Chelsea Girl were two different companies. 

Chelsea Boy was owned by a guy Called Harvey Fields who sold the shops to the Sears group who re-named it as Your Price - ran as that for a couple of years before closing .

Chelsea Girl were owned by Arcadia Group ( Top man , top girl, Burton etc ) and when they hit financial trouble the chain of C.Girl shops were sold to River Island . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Still a town in decline but can it recover in our lifetime?

Drill hall going through renovation for student accommodation, museum and town hall being modernised. New housing builds in town centre. 

Hopefully planned work for Paisley Centre goes ahead.  A great football team.   I see a recovery, if every so slight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, pod said:

Drill hall going through renovation for student accommodation, museum and town hall being modernised. New housing builds in town centre. 

Hopefully planned work for Paisley Centre goes ahead.  A great football team.   I see a recovery, if every so slight. 

I do hope so , it’s long overdue .  
 

Love my town but every time I hit the town centre it saddens me .  🙁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pod said:

Drill hall going through renovation for student accommodation, museum and town hall being modernised. New housing builds in town centre. 

The work on the Drill Hall has come to a complete standstill with nothing being done to it for months now I believe it’s up for sale/recently sold so hopefully we see work restarting soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do hope so , it’s long overdue .  
 
Love my town but every time I hit the town centre it saddens me .  

We normally park at the ground then walk into town before the game - wee sausage sandwich from train station café then a wander : Paisley Centre is a ghost town

Until adequate free parking - road system opened up and a reason for people to come to town ? It won’t change


The impact of out of town shopping centres is enormous then add in online shopping ; Too many alternatives to the poorly accessible town centre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:


We normally park at the ground then walk into town before the game - wee sausage sandwich from train station café then a wander : Paisley Centre is a ghost town

Until adequate free parking - road system opened up and a reason for people to come to town ? It won’t change


The impact of out of town shopping centres is enormous then add in online shopping ; Too many alternatives to the poorly accessible town centre

Just about every town is suffering,it’s not just a Paisley problem

One I find strange is Renfrew,it’s the closest town to Braehead yet there’s hardly an empty shop unit in the town centre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HSS said:

Just about every town is suffering,it’s not just a Paisley problem

One I find strange is Renfrew,it’s the closest town to Braehead yet there’s hardly an empty shop unit in the town centre

Aye but they’re  all Tanning salons, pubs , bookies and takeaways 😂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...