Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Does anyone have any photos of the old Kelburn(e) cinema?

I remember watching a good few shows there as a young lad. It was some auditorium - with upper and lower stallss - hell it even had a bar.

I remember they also did double bill showings. I remember one time going to see a double bill of Gregory's Girl and Chariots of Fire.

I remember seeing Jaws at the old Regal cinema that I think was down the road from Paisley Tech/Coats Memorial.

Feck your Showcase and Odeon Multiplex cinemas - the old days were the best when at half time you would get the ice cream brought out by the sexy women (well to a young pup anyway).

Ahh those were the days.

Try this site

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotland/paisley/index.html

The Regal was durty hole; however remember seeing The Sound of Music - only the magic of Julie Andrews singing in a nun's outfit could lift your spirits from the grimey shitehole that was the Regal. Kelly's Heroes at the Kelburn sticks in the memory along with the James Bond movies.

Just picked up on this again and I remember the Anchor Rec well. Played cricket, hockey, tennis and badminton for Anchor for many years before I moved down south in the early 70s. Had 3 hockey pitches, football pitch and one of the best cricket pitches in the west of Scotland. The groundsman had the little cottage at the gate, one of them Charlie Brown, was in the cricket team.

Great memories

Edited by Perth Buddy

Close, but it doesnt carry Hawkhead Rd.

Think it's the Canal Line railway bridge that crosses the White Cart between Hawkhead and Canal Stations, not far from the Anchor rec. I'm sure it's famous for being one of the oldest or original viaducts in the country, something tells me it used to be an aqueduct though when the railway was actually the canal...?

This topic has been superb. I have taken a great deal more interest recently as I drive or walk around the town.

There is a massive depth of history associated with Paisley. Is there another town in Scotland or the UK that has such diversity - not only in the buildings, but the people too. Feck even the fitba team is still going strong despite a 0-3 loss at the weekend.

Thicko Dicko may hate our town and all it's inhabitants - I feckin love it!

Keep the pics coming Sonny. Thoroughly enjoying this.

To be honest Slash the more I have been taking the photos and trying to get a little history on them the more I have become very impressed with Paisley. It must have been one of the richest towns in the country at one point if not the richest. The benefactors were amazing and what they left is probably relatively unsurpassed anywhere in Scotland (even Dunfermline with Carnegie) as Coates and Clark seemed to be having a competition as to who could give the most. Remember at one point they were in direct competition in the same town and they owned the two largest cotton mills in the world. The history of the Weavers is something else altogether.

And the number of mansions I have come across has been far more than I imagined. There have been many great and generous Buddies and their influence is everywhere in the town even if we dont normally recognise it. I was born and brought up in the West End but probably have a far greater appreciation of the place now than I have ever done. I have come across places I did not know existed (eg Picture 27 - this A listed bridge) and discovered significance in things I took for granted (eg Burtons).

Good to be a Buddie. :)

To be honest Slash the more I have been taking the photos and trying to get a little history on them the more I have become very impressed with Paisley. It must have been one of the richest towns in the country at one point if not the richest. The benefactors were amazing and what they left is probably relatively unsurpassed anywhere in Scotland (even Dunfermline with Carnegie) as Coates and Clark seemed to be having a competition as to who could give the most. Remember at one point they were in direct competition in the same town and they owned the two largest cotton mills in the world. The history of the Weavers is something else altogether.

And the number of mansions I have come across has been far more than I imagined. There have been many great and generous Buddies and their influence is everywhere in the town even if we dont normally recognise it. I was born and brought up in the West End but probably have a far greater appreciation of the place now than I have ever done. I have come across places I did not know existed (eg Picture 27 - this A listed bridge) and discovered significance in things I took for granted (eg Burtons).

Good to be a Buddie. smile.png

The line at the bottom of my posts is a quote from a novel by Disraeli - can't help but think it inspired by what you're talking about, Sonny.

smile.png

Well several of you identified PICTURE 27 as the Blackhall Railway Viaduct over the White Cart. Well done. I thought you may struggle with this image.

Built by the late, great, Thomas Telford in 1806-1809. Built as a canal aquaduct, Single span of about 100 feet. Built for Glasgow, Paisley and Johnstone Canal which was closed in 1881 and converted into railway.

As FS stated it is the oldest railway bridge in the world built by probably the best bridge builder who ever lived. More info on Thomas Telford here...... http://en.wikipedia..../Thomas_Telford

I have posted another shot that may help you to place it better. PICTURE 27B.

The Bridge can be accessed via the Jenny's Well Nature Path. Two things disappointed me. One is that there is no plaque on or near it identifying it and two the path does not go right up to the Bridge. I had to cut across rough ground full of brambles to get near it. Good image by flyingscot shows exactly where it is. Note that some ground at the Nature reserve is now football pitches and used by St Mirren Youth (ages 7-12 and girls teams).

There is a good viewing platform from where 27B was taken. When taking the path along Jenny's Well I bumped into four dog walkers who all lived locally. None of them had a clue about this great bridge or other amazing buildings close by. Maybe Paisley schools should teach a little about Paisley history smile.png. A pleasant hour's stroll around the reserve on a fine day (you can also cycle around it).

post-2737-0-50105700-1332234363_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny