Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

That was quite a walk. We used to go up at Easter to roll our eggs. Nothing as common as pieces for Glenburn boys. Cucumber sandwiches, with the crusts cut off, don't you know. Actually we used to take cans of beans and warm them up on a fire. They were good days. I don't remember it ever raining but I suppose it must have.

Funnily enough, that's the memory I have too. I can remember going off up there for the day and it would be roasting hot, never a cloud in the sky. Strange how the mind works.

Don't remember that name Rick, I'm sure it was "Bertie" Miller was the assisatnt when I was there. Gym teacher, big bugger who was keen to dish out the belt.

Aye, I remember "Big" Millar and "Wee" Millar (think he was a Maths teacher?). You wouldn't get on the wrong side of the big fella - hard as nails, he was.

Aye, I remember "Big" Millar and "Wee" Millar (think he was a Maths teacher?). You wouldn't get on the wrong side of the big fella - hard as nails, he was.

'Big'Millar was never my teacher in fact we were never in the same school at the same time but he frightened the shit out of me. One of our old Camphill teachers Alastair 'Big Bernie' Macpherson had a hell of an argument with him after a real ding dong battle between us and Stanely Green. They didn't get on for a while but then Big Millar transferred to Camphill and they became good friends.

PICTURE 35 is the Mile End Mill Chimney Stack. B Listed. W J Morely of Bradford, architect 1899-1900 Free-standing octagonal brick stack.

PICTURE 35b may prove to be a more recognisable view.

It is the last stack of about 6 or 7 that once dominated the Paisley skyline from the Mills.

Here are a couple of shots of the other chimneys in their day and one of the last one at Ferguslie being demolished.

post-2737-0-51534400-1333010017_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-97938300-1333010143_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-77063500-1333010166_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-67393100-1333010180_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

It Is a good looking building. I've never known its use or history.

It's currently being used as a staging post as an aerial for Strathclyde Police radios.

No idea about today's picture - do doubt when it's revealed I'll say 'of course it is'. I think I must wander round with my eyes shut (although this thread has inspired my to pay more attention).

Well I know where it is now, and must have walked by it thousands of times, but can honestly admit to never having noticed it before - told you - eyes shut! snore.gif

Any chance of changing the title of this thread to "Thread of Enlightenment"?

Could the Mile End Mill Chimney Stack not be turned into a bungee jump attraction? In true Paisley style leave the cars below and set them on fire prior to the jump. We could welcome the Law village idiot for the inaugural jump.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Edited by Qarsaan

Wish I could tell you more about PICTURE 36 but I can't. As FS indicated it was used by a law firm for many, many years. I dont know when it was built but would guess the 1920's. Hopefully in due course more info will come to light but I always thought it was a great building and so different in architecture than most buildings in the town.

You are all so good at identifying the buildings I'll use more clues. To-day's is PICTURE 37 (CLUE)

post-2737-0-03011900-1333090957_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny