Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Wish I could tell you more about PICTURE 36 but I can't. As FS indicated it was used by a law firm for many, many years. I dont know when it was built but would guess the 1920's. Hopefully in due course more info will come to light but I always thought it was a great building and so different in architecture than most buildings in the town.

You are all so good at identifying the buildings I'll use more clues. To-day's is PICTURE 37 (CLUE)

I was hoping you might be able to tell us a bit more about the lawyer's office. It is an interesting looking building. It has something Rennie Mackintoshish about it.(Is that a word,Bluto?) Rennie Mackintosh didn't die until 1928 but I'm not suggesting he designed it. I imagine you could possibly describe as being in the style of the great man.

Wish I could tell you more about PICTURE 36 but I can't. As FS indicated it was used by a law firm for many, many years. I dont know when it was built but would guess the 1920's. Hopefully in due course more info will come to light but I always thought it was a great building and so different in architecture than most buildings in the town.

You are all so good at identifying the buildings I'll use more clues. To-day's is PICTURE 37 (CLUE)

Is that the old PDE office in New Street now Viennas?

Another building by the distinguished J. Steel Maitland

http://www.scottisha...l.php?id=232611

Edited by pod

I was hoping you might be able to tell us a bit more about the lawyer's office. It is an interesting looking building. It has something Rennie Mackintoshish about it.(Is that a word,Bluto?) Rennie Mackintosh didn't die until 1928 but I'm not suggesting he designed it. I imagine you could possibly describe as being in the style of the great man.

Another building by the distinguished J. Steel Maitland

http://www.scottisha...l.php?id=232611

Thanks Pod for the info. At least I got the 1920's bit correct. Maitland seems to be a bit of a visionary and we will look at some of his other buildings in due course.

Although I am showing the images I dont know much about quite a few of them and keeping this up does take time as well as trying to find time for other things. So if anyone wants to research them feel free as I am happy to learn what you can find out. Thanks to all contributors so far.

Aye... too easy! tongue.png

Good move to now employ the same 'structure' of the auld PDE pix game. Don't make it too easy for us/them. And please don't do it weekly!

I, to the buildings, will lift mine eyes....

I'll try and provide a small clue before the main shot in most images just to make it more interesting for the geeks :) . However as most people who entered PICTURE 37 were probably pissed I am impressed so many have recognised it!

Some of you may have seen this before - for those that have not this is a good film from the Scottish Screen Archive made about Paisley in 1975.

At the time Paisley was a boom area - second only to Edinburgh in employment stakes.

Keep Your Eye on Paisley

My old man worked in the PDE offices and I still have my name etched on the old hot metal plates that were created to run the printing presses. Good memories.

Thank you for sharing that video. I even enjoyed watching the bit when it rained.

PICTURE 37 Attached (two views). It is of course 20 New St. B Listed and built in 1874.

I dont know if it was built specifically for the Paisley Daily Express (Wee Express to non-Buddies) but it certainly spent most of its time as the Offices and print works for the newspaper. Younger folk will probably only know it as a nightclub. I am sure there are some good stories about its newer existence.

And dont worry Slash the clue will always be followed up by the real picture usually within 24 hrs.

That was a great video link you posted earlier. Brought back many memories of the town centre before the massive expense of pedestrianisation for no pedestrians. It was great to see the Cross full of people instead of the ghost Cross that it now is.

post-2737-0-02558300-1333143212_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-20914900-1333143229_thumb.jp

PICTURE 37 Attached (two views). It is of course 20 New St. B Listed and built in 1874.

I dont know if it was built specifically for the Paisley Daily Express (Wee Express to non-Buddies) but it certainly spent most of its time as the Offices and print works for the newspaper. Younger folk will probably only know it as a nightclub. I am sure there are some good stories about its newer existence.

And dont worry Slash the clue will always be followed up by the real picture usually within 24 hrs.

That was a great video link you posted earlier. Brought back many memories of the town centre before the massive expense of pedestrianisation for no pedestrians. It was great to see the Cross full of people instead of the ghost Cross that it now is.

When I was in my early teens I was a paperboy for Malky Martin the newsagent in the Skye Cr. shops in Glenburn. During the school holidays he used to make us take the bus into Paisley to pick up the PDEs from that building. We had to go to the door at the printroom entrance entrance which was in the Palladium Pend. If it was a big news day in Paisley (Honest,there were a few) sometimes we had to hang around for a while when all we wanted to do was get back up to Glenburn to play football. Eventually, the oldest of we three paperboys led us to mutiny and we refused to pick them up any more. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that the leader of the mutiny has been mentioned on here. Won't name him but Broon is a clue.

Not only is it a word but...

There is at least one other building in Paisley that IS "Rennie Mackintoshish" and if/when that is dropped into this thread by Sonny, then I may wax more lyrical.... suffice to say that... Desperately Seeking Susans currently lives in a wonderful hoose that he would now like to sell... in Skelomorlie.

And the Paisley/Rennie Mackintoshish connection starts there.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few Paisley buildings in which Rennie Mackintosh had a very junior hand. :)

Christ - reading back - that is so stupidly cryptic... ach well..... :P

To those whose posts are oft' illegible, take a leaf out of Bluto's book.

If he does it, so should you!

Well guys no-one has worked out PICTURE 38. I am going to leave it a bit longer for identification so start looking! (Well you did want a tougher challenge!).

PICTURE 39 CLUE

post-2737-0-65270200-1333263744_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Well guys no-one has worked out PICTURE 38. I am going to leave it a bit longer for identification so start looking! (Well you did want a tougher challenge!).

PICTURE 39 CLUE

I recognise that... Is it the west end? Or further west even?