Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I am sure you all read the small print when we started. If you guess wrongly you lose a point. Sorry Farawy but your score stands at -1 smile.png . But dont feel self conscious about it - lethal89 is also -1 :)

Edited by Sonny

I am sure you all read the small print when we started. If you guess wrongly you lose a point. Sorry "Farawy" but your score stands at -1 smile.png . But dont feel self conscious about it - lethal89 is also -1 smile.png

I don't like this game anymore.

Rubbish thread of the year award? lol.gif

"farawy" isnae ma name, a point to me or one off you? whistling.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Button it you - Pod only guessed it because I said it was on the one way system tongue.png

Fuxake, that's the buidling I thought it was....went out of my way to drive past it, but from the angle I was at it looked the wrong colour and theturret jobby hides the bit in question....walked past it loads of times and rememver thinking - wonder what used to be on the plinth.....however I was mostly under the influence of a ferocious cocktail of substances and wrote it off as hallucinations.

Less like that Sonny ya bawbag!!! tongue.png

PICTURE 40 is indeed The Museum and Art Galleries in the High St (PICTURE 40 below). A Listed.

'Paisley Museum opened in 1871. The building was designed by the well-known Glasgow architect John Honeyman and was paid for by Sir Peter Coats of the famous Coats thread manufacturing family.

Among our treasures, pride of place goes to The Arbuthnott Missal and our unique textile collection. The Paisley Shawl Collection cared for by Renfrewshire Arts and Museums Service is a Recognised Collection of National Significance to Scotland.'

It was also the first publicly run Museum in Scotland.

I have not included the Library as I am regarding that as a separate building as it was built in 1901, 30 years after the Museum.

post-2737-0-25250300-1333443311_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 40 is indeed The Museum and Art Galleries in the High St (PICTURE 40 below). A Listed.

'Paisley Museum opened in 1871.....

Among our treasures, pride of place goes to The Arbuthnott Missal and our unique textile collection.

Not the scabby lion then? Anyone know if it's still there? I know the moth eaten elephant has been gone for years.

This thread is great Sonny - it brings back so many memories - when i was about 8 or 9 I used to go swimming on a Saturday morning - we'd get up really early so we'd be first in the Storrie St baths and they'd be lovely and warm, then we'd head for Allan's chippy and eat our bag of chips on the wall outside the museum before going for a wander round to look at the lion. thumbup2.gif

Fuxake, that's the buidling I thought it was....went out of my way to drive past it, but from the angle I was at it looked the wrong colour and theturret jobby hides the bit in question....walked past it loads of times and rememver thinking - wonder what used to be on the plinth.....however I was mostly under the influence of a ferocious cocktail of substances and wrote it off as hallucinations.

Less like that Sonny ya bawbag!!! tongue.png

Drunk or sober every time I passed it I wondered what was missing from that plinth. Have I missed something? Was there ever anything on it? Habbie Simpson would fit perfectly.

Not the scabby lion then? Anyone know if it's still there? I know the moth eaten elephant has been gone for years.

This thread is great Sonny - it brings back so many memories - when i was about 8 or 9 I used to go swimming on a Saturday morning - we'd get up really early so we'd be first in the Storrie St baths and they'd be lovely and warm, then we'd head for Allan's chippy and eat our bag of chips on the wall outside the museum before going for a wander round to look at the lion. thumbup2.gif

Thanks Eddy. I was in the Museum recently for the first time in decades. The Lion is in storage just now. Renovation work is going on and there isnt much to see however the shawl section (a new one?) is very good. Thats worth a look if you are passing by before a home game.

One thing I would love to see all around the town is the return of Railings! This old picture of the Museum still has the Railings in front of the building. All the parks used to have railings and made them look far better than they are now. I believe all the railings were taken down during the war years for armaments and never restored but if you look at any old pictures the railings make a huge difference and protect the park or building as they keep out the drunken riff-raff after hours!

Vote for The Railings Return. :)

post-2737-0-58434100-1333445893_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

That poor scabby lion. Always felt sorry for it. I wonder if there was a history to it. Like, who shot it? And where and when? And who stuffed it?

A crowd of us used to go to the Storrie St.baths every Sunday at 8am. for, wait for it, mixed bathing! I kid you not. Risque or what? It sounds unbelievable, it was in the 60's and some of my mates parents wouldn't let them go in case...... well, you know. Just a few years later we were all going to Spain and seeing women getting their bits out. Of course as we all know, after the first few days you didn't notice any more. Honest.