Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

That poor scabby lion. Always felt sorry for it. I wonder if there was a history to it. Like, who shot it? And where and when? And who stuffed it?

A crowd of us used to go to the Storrie St.baths every Sunday at 8am. for, wait for it, mixed bathing! I kid you not. Risque or what? It sounds unbelievable, it was in the 60's and some of my mates parents wouldn't let them go in case...... well, you know. Just a few years later we were all going to Spain and seeing women getting their bits out. Of course as we all know, after the first few days you didn't notice any more. Honest.

Aye, that's how your Specsavers number one customer. nerd.gif

The stone was the meeting place of the Weavers Union in the South of Paisley and was also used as a "soapbox". It was later moved to its present location in Brodie Park. Also present, arranged around the Dooslan Stane, are the four original Paisley Tolbooth stones. The Dooslan Stane is still used today as the congregating point for the annual Sma' Shot parade which takes place on the first Saturday in July.

Yeah the Douslan Stane was on Neilston Road and the stone was origionally out side the pub next to the bus stop I used to go to school. I thought they had moved it to Barshaw, Do they still do Sma'Shot day? I thought it had died out due to lack of interest

The Dooslan Stane was one of the pubs mah Faither worked in over the years. I never knew there was an actual Dooslan Stane. Nor, if there was, any significance to it.

And when were those stanes shifted to Brodie Park? I also have no memory of them being there...

So... I went to Google and found this! An old thread on here which renders me less enlightened.

And I even contributed to it! ohmy.png

I remember the Stane sitting outside the pub for years. Living in Glenburn I passed the end of Rowan Street umpteen times a week. I think it was only moved to Brodie Park in the 70's or thereabouts. I didn't know anything about the tollbooth stones.

Yeah the Douslan Stane was on Neilston Road and the stone was origionally out side the pub next to the bus stop I used to go to school. I thought they had moved it to Barshaw, Do they still do Sma'Shot day? I thought it had died out due to lack of interest

No lack of interest when it was revived in 1986 after a gap of 11 years.Still very popular.

http://www.paisley.o...-shot-day-2011/

and this years.

http://www.seepaisle...y-2012-185.html

Edited by pod

Hmmm. From the second link:

Where's Dick Chinnery when he's needed?

Don't mention traditional parades, please. I've seen enough of the bloody things to last me at least ten lifetimes.

Did you not once tell me that Dick Chinnery was a bit of a tosser?

Did it not die out at one time and get reinstated years later?

Yes. RickMcD

But I think insaintee was referring to the present day.

PICTURE 41 CLUE shows the base of one of the four pillars which supported the Old Paisley Toll Booth. The four bases now reside in Brodie Park.

'Eleven months after the charter of James IV erecting the town of Paisley into a burgh of barony (1488-9) Abbot George Shaw presented the new burgh with "our House, commonly called the Heyt House, with vaults, booths and other its pertinents, as well under as above", to be henceforth" a common Tolbooth". The building was of two storeys and stood at the southwest corner of Moss Street where the Commercial Bank now stands. Subsequently a common hall and a steeple containing a clock and bell were added to it, the latter are first mentioned in 1603. In 1609, the whole structure was said to be ruinous, funds were raised the following year for its repair. A new tolbooth and steeple were built in 1757, the tolbooth was demolished in 1821 and the steeple was removed in 1870.'

I have a great photo in a book of the Old Toll Booth supported by large timbers to stop it falling down just before it was demolished. The photo is from 1868 when Buddies referred to the building as 'the steeple on stilts' due to the amount of timber supporting it. I cant find the image on-line but maybe some time I can scan it and print it here. An image of the building that now resides where the Toll Booth was will be shown at a later date.

The full picture is PICTURE 41.

PICTURE 41 also shows another image which has nothing to do with the Toll Booth. Close up is PICTURE 42. Anyone know what the wording is on this Stane smile.png ?

post-2737-0-71336200-1333535396_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-52335500-1333535601_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny