Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 42 is the Dooslan Stane named after a landowner named Dove (Doo) who owned land in 'the Republic of Charleston'.

The Stane was very significant to the Weavers and used as a focal point for Weavers Meetings with the Speaker standing on the Stane to address the crowd. People were summoned to meetings via the Charleston Drum reputedly carried at the Battle of Waterloo The Stane was the focal point for galvanising support for their fight against the Shawl Suppliers (called 'Corks') in the Sma Shot dispute which the Weavers finally won in 1856.

The sma' shot was a binding thread which held together the patterned shawls which Paisley is famous for. But, because the sma shot was never seen in the finished shawls the manufacturers refused to pay the weavers for the yarn. After many years of dispute, the weavers won their cause. In celebration the traditional July holiday was renamed Sma' Shot Day and is celebrated on the first Saturday in July.

On Sma' Shot Day a weavers' march proceeds through Paisley. Starting from the Dooslan Stane in Brodie Park and ending at Abbey Close the march is led by a drummer with a replica of the Charleston Drum and features banners representing Ferguslie, Toonheid, Sandholes, Sneddon, Causeyside, Newtoun and Charleston. Also in the procession is the Cork, an effigy of one of the contemptuous manufacturers, which is burned at the climax of the re-enactment of the Sma' Shot Story.

For further information about the Weavers and typical Weaver Cottages check out www.smashot.co.uk.

The Weavers in Paisley were a very articulate and determined lot and were involved in the Radical Wars before the Sma Shot dispute.

In 1819 there was a week's rioting in Paisley High Street as the authorities tried to suppress demonstrations in favour of parliamentary reform, and in the Radical War of 1820 nowhere was more radical than Paisley, when thousands of local workers went on strike and some went as far as to take up arms for political reform. In a series of treason trials in that year in the town, the defendants were acquitted. Paisley's radicalism continued into the Chartist period in the 1830s and 40s, when a surprising local leader of the agitation to gain working men the vote was the Rev. Partick Brewster. His denunciations of the rich and powerful at a time when poverty was endemic and cholera rampant, meant he was passed over for the post of main minister at the Abbey when it became vacant.

More here on the Radical War

PICTURE 43 is ....

I've no idea what the building is but by chance my son who lives in Paisley mentioned to me that in yesterday's Paisley Express there was a great photo of a very frosty Forbes Place taken from across the river. I can read parts of the PDE on-line but can't get photos. Can anyone post it somehow?

Sonny, i was wondering if any one could help, I seem to remember there being a stone circle in the trees at the back of Ferguslie Park. We were always told it was a witches circle and used to be crapping it every time we were dared to go near it. Can anyone shed any light on these stones?

Forbes Place is one area of the Town that has benefited greatly from a make over.Used to be a dump when I was young.It was part of Paisleys night life scene in the 80's with a few entertainment venues.Anybuddie name them?

Forbes Place is one area of the Town that has benefited greatly from a make over.Used to be a dump when I was young.It was part of Paisleys night life scene in the 80's with a few entertainment venues.Anybuddie name them?

There was one right on the corner.Think it had a girls name.Carrie's or something like that.

There was Zowies and Backchat which I think were the same place.There was also a Snooker club which we used to visit for its all day Sun license.There was also a pub called The Saints which later on became Watsons.

There was Zowies and Backchat which I think were the same place.There was also a Snooker club which we used to visit for its all day Sun license.There was also a pub called The Saints which later on became Watsons.

That's right Zowies, a seedy looking place,nice barmaid.

Wasn't anywhere close with my name guess.

PICTURE 43 as Pod has already told you was a shawl finishing warehouse built in the early 1830s. B Listed.

I do apologise for not providing a CLUE and making identification too easy for you. smile.png

PICTURE 44 CLUE is .....

post-2737-0-41552200-1333705967_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-41096700-1333706164_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I remember Zowies. I was there once at the Opening Night as my mate was going out with a Barmaid there. It was ok but very, very small. Not enough game for the hunter :)

PICTURE 43 as Pod has already told you was a shawl finishing warehouse built in the early 1830s. B Listed.

I do apologise for not providing a CLUE and making identification too easy for you. smile.png

PICTURE 44 CLUE is .....

Sorry if I waded in too soon with the Forbes Place pic, Sonny. I thought it was a building name you were looking for.

Today's is like a lot of them, I should definitely know it but I'm buggered if I can place it. Keep it up. Great stuff.

No need to apologise Rick. The location was an easy identification. I just wanted to enlighten our younger viewers that the building may now be mostly flats but was originally a warehouse and the showpiece of the shawl industry where buyers were taken to see what Paisley had on offer.

Edited by Sonny

Backchat was near the entrance to Forbes Place but as I remember there was another place that was just a bar , that sat almost on the crved section of that building . It was a typical mid 8ts type place with fancy couches and decor and some great music playing all day. .

No need to apologise Rick. The location was an easy identification. I just wanted to enlighten our younger viewers that the building may now be mostly flats but was originally a warehouse and the showpiece of the shawl industry where buyers were taken to see what Paisley had on offer.

When I was at school we always heard about shawls and the Paisley Pattern etc. And how many of us Buddies older than say forty haven't had at least one if not several family members who worked in the mills. A month or two back someone posted an old map of Paisley when we were talking about the Royal Oak. When I looked at the map I was absolutely amazed to see just how much of Paisley was taken up by by the 'cloth' industry. That whole section of Paisley was flooded with it. A real eye-opener.

I remember Zowies. I was there once at the Opening Night as my mate was going out with a Barmaid there. It was ok but very, very small. Not enough game for the hunter smile.png

Didn't know she was two timing me.

Was that the big blondy one

Backchat was near the entrance to Forbes Place but as I remember there was another place that was just a bar , that sat almost on the crved section of that building . It was a typical mid 8ts type place with fancy couches and decor and some great music playing all day. .

That was a good bar. I thought that was Backchat.

That was a good bar. I thought that was Backchat.

Okay , you might be right but what was the name of the place on the same side of the street , slightly nearer Causeyside Street but you could dance in it as it had a dancefloor and a bit upstairs( a lounge ) ,as I recall. I believe the guy that owned the bar also owned the dance place because he used to promote it when you where in the bar. .