Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Why does it say Kilmarnock Hygeine Fountain on it? Did we knock it or was it for visitors from Killie to have a wash before being allowed into Paisley?

Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd of Kilmarnock

Hygeine Fountain

http://futuremuseum.co.uk/Collection.aspx/glenfield_kennedy/Object/public_drinking_fountain

http://futuremuseum....nfield_kennedy/

Edited by pod

Okay , you might be right but what was the name of the place on the same side of the street , slightly nearer Causeyside Street but you could dance in it as it had a dancefloor and a bit upstairs( a lounge ) ,as I recall. I believe the guy that owned the bar also owned the dance place because he used to promote it when you where in the bar. .

watsons

hygeinic drinking fountain is what is meant i think, and the wishing well was taken down when they filled in the pishing well below it lol.gif

Is the toilet filled in or just covered over?I can imagine the faces on the people doing an archaeological excavation in 300 years time when they find an old Shanks lavy pan complete with sandpaper bog roll.:o

PICTURE 44 was (nearly :) ) correctly identified as the Hamilton Fountain located at the junction of Neilston Rd and Calside. Besides its name I know nothing about it and in my (limited) research I could find no further info. There is wording on the monument but its now pretty illegible. Would be nice to know a wee bit more about it.

PICTURE 45 CLUE is the second image here....

post-2737-0-67541300-1333800568_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-99917200-1333800644_thumb.jp

PICTURE 44 was (nearly smile.png ) correctly identified as the Hamilton Fountain located at the junction of Neilston Rd and Calside. Besides its name I know nothing about it and in my (limited) research I could find no further info. There is wording on the monument but its now pretty illegible. Would be nice to know a wee bit more about it.

Gifted by George Hamilton of Blackland Mill.

Blackland Mill(bleaching mill) was close to the bowling ground(of same name) on Braehead Road.

Edited by pod

PICTURE 44 was (nearly smile.png ) correctly identified as the Hamilton Fountain located at the junction of Neilston Rd and Calside. Besides its name I know nothing about it and in my (limited) research I could find no further info. There is wording on the monument but its now pretty illegible. Would be nice to know a wee bit more about it.

An open Bible can be seen on this side of the fountain; there is another on the far side, its pages bearing the text of John 4:13-14 from the King James Version:

13Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:

14But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Thanks Pod and Eddy for the additional info on the Hamilton Fountain (PICTURE 44).

Pod - I think the barmaid was called Sarah but it was a long time ago. She was blond but not overly big smile.png

As no-one has yet identified PICTURE 45 I shall leave it for now - first time a Picture has not been identified in 24 hrs although Pod believes he knows it.

PICTURE 46 CLUE is ....

(PS If PICS dont appear for a few days this week it is because I am away but dont worry they will continue on my return.)

post-2737-0-02617100-1333877358_thumb.jp

Thanks Pod and Eddy for the additional info on the Hamilton Fountain (PICTURE 44).

Pod - I think the barmaid was called Sarah but it was a long time ago. She was blond but not overly big smile.png

As no-one has yet identified PICTURE 45 I shall leave it for now - first time a Picture has not been identified in 24 hrs although Pod believes he knows it.

PICTURE 46 CLUE is ....

(PS If PICS dont appear for a few days this week it is because I am away but dont worry they will continue on my return.)

You could be right,I think her name was Sarah.Don't think she was from Paisley.

As for picture 46. Not a place I like visiting or in a hurry to visit personally.

The paper shop round the corner was called the wishing well. (might still be)

The paper shop round the corner was called the wishing well. (might still be)

I was in the Wishing Well shop hundreds of times and I used to think it was a weird name for a shop. I never associated it with the well round the corner. Thick or what?

PICTURE 46 CLUE is ....

the crematorium