Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

For some reason I keep connecting it to the new co-op building. Could it be part of the Paisley Centre building?

l considered that too, but we've done the old co-op. I think I keep coming back to there because it's about the only white granite building I can think of.

Well guys looks like I may finally have found something that you dont recognise smile.png . And its not the Paisley Centre.

And Sid I started using Clues at the request of the viewers. But I do confess to enjoying deviant pleasures. :)

Edited by Sonny

Congratulations Well St Bud & Buddiecat. It takes a lot to beat HSS!

It is indeed a memorial to Baillie Andrew Fisher from his sisters. Baillie Fisher was an engineer and member of the Council for 30 years. Erected in 1920. Always thought it was a strange place for a memorial stone but maybe not as we have Rabbie in the Fountain Gardens.

PICTURE 45 is the first image.

PICTURE 46 Is indeed the Woodside Crematorium. B Listed and designed by James Steel Maitland, 1938.

Cemetery records go back to 1845 and cremation records to 1938.

Paisley Woodside Cemetery was laid out in 1845 to a design drawn up by Stewart Murray, curator of Glasgow Botanic gardens.

Situated on a low hill-top position between Woodside House and Ferguslie House, the ‘garden cemetery’ extended to just over 20 acres and incorporated the recently built Martyr’s Church and the adjacent Covenanter Martyrs Memorial.

Murray’s design was inspired by the earlier garden cemetery at Glasgow Necropolis 1832, which also took its inspiration from Père la Chaise, the first hill-top garden cemetery, in Paris, laid out in 1804 by Alexandre-Théodore Brongniart. Second image.

CLUE for PICTURE 47 follows (do you still want CLUES?) .....

post-2737-0-78812000-1333964482_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-99823700-1333964732_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-08514000-1333964910_thumb.jp

Damn it - I knew I recognised it - has it not got a well or something attached to it as well - some sort of funny wee puddle shaped thing at it's base anyway, that was always full of water.

Just for you Eddy ....

post-2737-0-99080500-1333966910_thumb.jp

A massively important historical building to Paisley and Scotland, even the UK...that rarely gets a mention. Didnae think you could go into it any more...you'll end up getting the jail Sonny. Should be a special Buddie award for the folk that rebuilt it - that widnae huv been cheap.

Hands up,I'm beat.Despite me and Jacci walking round the town tonight we couldn't find it.Asked about in Paddys......no help,

I'm admitting defeat.sad.png

If anyone reads about my death in the pde I want you all to know that it's Sonny's fault.

I'm that busy looking up at the buildings it seems likely I might end up under a bus (or with a serious crick in my neck)

A massively important historical building to Paisley and Scotland, even the UK...that rarely gets a mention. Didnae think you could go into it any more...you'll end up getting the jail Sonny. Should be a special Buddie award for the folk that rebuilt it - that widnae huv been cheap.

Private residence.

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/ilwwcm/publishing.nsf/Content/els-jh-HistoricBuildingsBlackhallManor

Edited by pod

Used to sneak in there in the 70,s when it was still a ruin.The old staircase was cool back then,dont know if they kept

it when they rebuilt it,hope they cleaned out all the jakies cans and body waste that was always in there.

Good to hear you have turned the corner and sorted your life out. thumbup2.gif

PICTURE 47 is Blackhall Manor. Tucked in just off the Barrhead Rd I am sure many Buddies drive by it without noticing it.

Pod's link gives more info. I would add that the Council decided in its infinite wisdom to demolish this ancient building dating form 1165 in 1972. It was only through a local campaign that the Manor was saved. It was purchased by an Alex Strachan and renovated. As Sid says there should be some kind of 'Good Buddie' award for Mr Strachan for saving this ancient building. (And maybe a 'Bad Buddie' award for the Council!).

PICTURE 48 CLUE is second image.

PS I'll no end up in the jail Sid. I know my rights as a photographer and they would have to catch me first!

post-2737-0-80643900-1334046147_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-36598900-1334046204_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny