Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Well spotted FS - fountain in Hawkhead Cemetery - and thanks Pod for the info as I know nothing about this unusual little edifice.

PICTURE 51 attached.

PICTURE 52 CLUE .....second image.

As said it's the old telephone exchange/nightclub on the corner of the Sneddons. The irony of the picture being posted next to the Hawkhead Cemetary one is not lost on me, the young lad that was stabbed to death in said nightclub back in 1999 is buried two along from my parents grave in Hawkheid.

I've found it really difficult to find any information on this building on the web - anyone else come up with anything?

Me too Eddy. The little I have is as follows -

PICTURE 52 is the New Templar Hall in Old Sneddon. However I do not believe it has or ever had anything to do with the telephone exchange which is I believe a separate building next door and built at a later date. Someone may correct me on this. The New Templar Hall was built in 1932 http://news.google.c...pg=2709,5500854 and supported by the Glen-Coats family. The Coats built the original Good Templar Halls in Dyers Wynd (Glen Cinema). The architects were Cook and Hamilton, former assistants to the influential Paisley architect TG Abercrombie.

My knowledge is mainly from my mother. This used to be THE dance place in Paisley. Many Glaswegians came into Paisley to 'the Templars'. During the war my mother and her pals would walk home to Barrhead from the 'dancin at the Templars' as the buses all stopped early. They walked up over Bridge St to Dykebar and on to Barrhead. Often in their bare feet carrying their high heels. And the dancin was tee-total. I couldnt imagine many 18 year olds doing that to-day. My old man met my mother at the Templars. He stayed out at the Arches and would walk my mother back to Barrhead then walk home himself to nearly Elderslie! Changed days indeed.

PICTURE 53 CLUE is the second image

post-2737-0-76822100-1334572183_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-20002200-1334572619_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Clue, Post 978

I knew what the building was POD, but when you google 'Templar Halls, Paisley" you get a load of stuff about the previous halls in Dyers Wynd. Renfrewshire Council have the building as B Listed on their site, but one the Scotlands Listed Buildings site it only appears (I think) as 15 Old Sneddon, and there are no previous pictures or details about who the architect is, etc.

Perhaps because it is fairly recent (in comparison to the other buildings we've come across so far). unsure.png

I knew what the building was POD, but when you google 'Templar Halls, Paisley" you get a load of stuff about the previous halls in Dyers Wynd. Renfrewshire Council have the building as B Listed on their site, but one the Scotlands Listed Buildings site it only appears (I think) as 15 Old Sneddon, and there are no previous pictures or details about who the architect is, etc.

Perhaps because it is fairly recent (in comparison to the other buildings we've come across so far). unsure.png

Not a hundred 100% certain but I beilieve the architect is thomas Tait

Edited by insaintee

For a while in the sixties a crowd of my pals and I went to the Templar Halls on Saturday nights. Nobody used the 'New' in the title. We were probably a bit young for it but as has been pointed out it wasn't licensed so there was no problem. It was a rough joint. We saw a hell of a lot of bloodshed virtually every Saturday. It was positively frightening but exciting at the same time. When we began to spread our wings a bit we discovered the likes of The Flamingo (Flam) in Paisley Road West. It made the Templar Halls look like a dive. Actually, it was a bit.

Sonny your dad must have been fit. That was a hell of a walk. My wife Mark 1 lived in Penilee and I walked back to Glenburn many a time. I was knackered.

For a while in the sixties a crowd of my pals and I went to the Templar Halls on Saturday nights. Nobody used the 'New' in the title. We were probably a bit young for it but as has been pointed out it wasn't licensed so there was no problem. It was a rough joint. We saw a hell of a lot of bloodshed virtually every Saturday. It was positively frightening but exciting at the same time. When we began to spread our wings a bit we discovered the likes of The Flamingo (Flam) in Paisley Road West. It made the Templar Halls look like a dive. Actually, it was a bit.

Sonny your dad must have been fit. That was a hell of a walk. My wife Mark 1 lived in Penilee and I walked back to Glenburn many a time. I was knackered.

My dancin was Valentino's. I used to regularly walk a lassie home to Ralston then walk to Glenburn. One night it was bucketing down and I stopped a taxi. I only had about 50p on me and asked him for 50p worth of travel towards Glenburn. He obviouslly wasnt related to Shull as he took pity on me and drove me home for the 50p. I was very grateful but that was the only time I ever took a taxi home. I always walked from all over Paisley (and Elderslie) back up the road to Glenburn.

You've got me beat today sonny.

Well your track record is very good HSS. I wouldnt have known many of these clues if someone else had posted them. Often its someone who sees it every day out the window or next to the house that recognises them. You'll recognise the building when you see a bit more of it. In fact I am sure you frequently drive by it!

Well your track record is very good HSS. I wouldnt have known many of these clues if someone else had posted them. Often its someone who sees it every day out the window or next to the house that recognises them. You'll recognise the building when you see a bit more of it. In fact I am sure you frequently drive by it!

St James

I was UNDER the impression that WOOD be the right answer. Can you point me on the right ROAD

Ah,ok.

Even though I know where it is I still don't recognize it.Need to have a good look next time I'm passing.

PS.It's a road I try to avoid due to traffic congestion.

PICTURE 53 St James' Church Underwood Rd. Well done insaintee on your cheating research smile.png

Loads of info here http://www.networkpa...stjamess-parish

Summary: early French Gothic-style to a design by Hippolyte Blanc, largely gifted by Sir Peter Coats 1884. Spire 200ft. Full peal of bells, rung every Sunday. 'Father' Willis pipe organ. Original congregation were English Weavers who came to Paisley to ply their trade. Coats must have been impressed by the building as he then got Hippolyte Blanc (what a great name!) to design his Baptist Cathedral in the High St.

Two shots of PICTURE 53

PICTURE 54 CLUE (1st image)

post-2737-0-51550400-1334654964_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-14386100-1334655046_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-43599600-1334655191_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Another smashing looking building Sonny - largely ignored by me - I knew it was there, but never paid it much mind till now - as someone already mentioned, usually wondering if I can make it under the bridge before the lights change.

I'm guessing with a name like Hippolyte that he wasn't a Buddie?

Edit:.....but he was Scottish (b. Edinburgh to french parents).

Edited by Eddy