Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 53 St James' Church Underwood Rd. Well done insaintee on your cheating research smile.png

Loads of info here http://www.networkpa...stjamess-parish

Summary: early French Gothic-style to a design by Hippolyte Blanc, largely gifted by Sir Peter Coats 1884. Spire 200ft. Full peal of bells, rung every Sunday. 'Father' Willis pipe organ. Original congregation were English Weavers who came to Paisley to ply their trade. Coats must have been impressed by the building as he then got Hippolyte Blanc (what a great name!) to design his Baptist Cathedral in the High St.

Two shots of PICTURE 53

PICTURE 54 CLUE (1st image)

I think this might be an educational establishment. In my day it was Pasiley tech. Not sure what its called now

Another smashing looking building Sonny - largely ignored by me - I knew it was there, but never paid it much mind till now - as someone already mentioned, usually wondering if I can make it under the bridge before the lights change.

I'm guessing with a name like Hippolyte that he wasn't a Buddie?

Edit:.....but he was Scottish (b. Edinburgh to french parents).

Dont know about elsewhere but In Glenburn there were loads of guys called Hippolyte :) . Probably all married to a Chardonay these days.

Today's pic is the school of non destructive testing on George St, absorbed into Paisley technial college which is of course the UWS now. I always figured those pigeon spikes on the ledges looked fairly lethal.

did you know Hippolyte is a girl's name1eye.gif

see thread below

You lost me there insaintee or I have been wooshed.

Hippolyte meaning and name origin

Hippolyte \hi-ppoly-te, hipp(o)-lyte\ as a boy's name is of French and Greek origin, and the meaning of Hippolyte is "stampeding horses". Mythology: Hippolytus was the Son of Theseus.

That's the Place of Paisley there, as for the abbey, It's behind you ! lol.gif

Oh FFS you pedant! I was on a wee trip to the Abbey and took some photies in and around the place. I should have said, 'here's a photo I took a fortnight ago on a trip to the Abbey. Took this one on the way into the tea room for a fruit scone and a cheeky wee cappucino'

Is that better? phone.gif

You lost me there insaintee or I have been wooshed.

Hippolyte meaning and name origin

Hippolyte \hi-ppoly-te, hipp(o)-lyte\ as a boy's name is of French and Greek origin, and the meaning of Hippolyte is "stampeding horses". Mythology: Hippolytus was the Son of Theseus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippolyta

I thought hippolyta was the female version - think there's a character in Midsummer Night's Dream called this.

Maybe it's one of those names that covers both - cant imagine it being very popular today.

I though a hippolyta was a wee sausage.

Dont know about elsewhere but In Glenburn there were loads of guys called Hippolyte smile.png . Probably all married to a Chardonay these days.

oh aye i remember hippolyte b.. naw there wisnae, lol.gif where did you live in glenburn sonny, i was born and brought up in the tenements on glenburn road

aye pity the place is like a bombsite now, with all the buildings knocked down

Used to be really nice, everyone took pride in their gardens and verandas. Bute, Skye, Glenburn, and Fairway were all streets people really wanted to live.

Went right downhill but has improved millions in recent years.

Used to be really nice, everyone took pride in their gardens and verandas. Bute, Skye, Glenburn, and Fairway were all streets people really wanted to live.

Went right downhill but has improved millions in recent years.

skye crescent was considered posh because the closes had tiles1eye.gif

oh aye i remember hippolyte b.. naw there wisnae, lol.gif where did you live in glenburn sonny, i was born and brought up in the tenements on glenburn road

Staffa Dr just off Fairway Ave. I used to delivery groceries out of the co-op at Skye Cresc after school. Seems like a past life now. All the streets around Staffa are now demolished.