Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I believe she was originally meant to be facing the cross but it was decided to make her face in the opposite direction as it simply wouldn't do to have the queen gaze upon the gents.

The story I know is so she wouldn't be facing the topless mother/child statue.

The story I know is so she wouldn't be facing the topless mother/child statue.

I can't find anywhere else that mentions it, but the topless mother and child statue wasn't erected until 1910 and the Queen Victoria statue was 1901, although its possible she was turned round afterwards.

I recognise that as the place where they used to hang used condoms... or so they told me.

Don't remember condoms but she used to be smoking most Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Got to hand it to the Parisians for naming their biggest erection after a condom.

PICTURE 59 is the statue of Queen Victoria in Dunn Square. She is wearing a Paisley Shawl. Erected in 1901 and pointed away from the underground (now closed) Public Conveniences. Victoria did visit Paisley in 1888 to celebrate the Town’s 400 years as a Burgh. The first Monarch to visit the town in 271 years. Her route had her coming in via Renfrew Rd to the Town Hall where the speeches took place, then on to the Museum. Her exit from the town took her down Well St and along Caledonia St. Victoria Rd and Place are named after her. She paid for the statue of Robert III in the Abbey and purchased a number of Paisley Shawls to keep some weavers in work when the town was bankrupt in 1842.

PICTURE 60 CLUE is the first image.

post-2737-0-82030500-1335255092_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-18742200-1335255661_thumb.jp

It take it that it's one of the small buildings?

I had a wee look as I passed on the bus this morning and noticed that the main building is still all boarded up - I think the developers ran out of money?

Hopefully something can be done with it before it ends up so neglected that it's not worth fixing. thumbdown.gif

According to google it is a latin form of 'excellent'

If it's anything like Italian (which you'd imagine it is or possibly vice versa) then the "...issima" on the end would imply "most excellent" rather than just "excellent."

PICTURE 60 is the Peter Coats Nursing Home and Extension in Calside. Three photos attached. Two show further inscriptions other than the one at the old Main Entrance (PICTURE 60 CLUE). Designed by the great TG himself. Great building and am so glad they are still in use. Used to have a friend smile.png who lived there when she worked as a Nurse nearby. B Listed. (As was the statue of Victoria but I forgot to include that at the time).

PICTURE 61 CLUE is the fourth image.

post-2737-0-95480500-1335379882_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-74506800-1335379917_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-03411800-1335379978_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-38847200-1335380303_thumb.jp