Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 64 was correctly identified by Insaintee as the Stock St Public Baths. Designed (again) by the great TG it was built in 1898 and the only Baths Building left in Paisley. More recently most of you may know it as Monty's Snooker Hall. Its time as a Baths appears to have been brief. It was built as an extension to the Gleniffer Laundry and by 1913 it had become a foundry. In the 1940s it was used by a building contractor.

PICTURE 65 CLUE is the first image.

PICTURE 64 was correctly identified by Insaintee as the Stock St Public Baths. Designed (again) by the great TG it was built in 1898 and the only Baths Building left in Paisley. More recently most of you may know it as Monty's Snooker Hall. Its time as a Baths appears to have been brief. It was built as an extension to the Gleniffer Laundry and by 1913 it had become a foundry. In the 1940s it was used by a building contractor.

PICTURE 65 CLUE is the first image.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The pub in King St was the Hayweighs.The Crown is at the junction of Broomlands St/West St.

I remember when it closed my dad was looking for new offices and went to look at it. The pub was pretty cool but a quick shifty up the close showed that who ever bought it was going ot have big repair bills

I remember when it closed my dad was looking for new offices and went to look at it. The pub was pretty cool but a quick shifty up the close showed that who ever bought it was going ot have big repair bills

you can get arrested for that these days whistling.gif

PICTURE 65 is The Hayweighs building. Built as a public house with flats above it. Grade B Listed. 1900 Free Renaissance style. Architect was James Donald.

This is a good example of many tenements in Paisley that are B Listed and of fine construction and detail that are constantly overlooked or taken for granted.

I have never been in the Hayweighs and now wish I had seen the inside of it. If it re-opens I would be one of the first in the queue (and its possibly the closest pub to Greenhill Rd?)

The CLUE for PICTURE 66 is an easy one for you.

post-2737-0-20355000-1335978328_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-08323700-1335978808_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-44621300-1335979210_thumb.jp

PICTURE 65 is The Hayweighs building. Built as a public house with flats above it. Grade B Listed. 1900 Free Renaissance style. Architect was James Donald.

This is a good example of many tenements in Paisley that are B Listed and of fine construction and detail that are constantly overlooked or taken for granted.

I have never been in the Hayweighs and now wish I had seen the inside of it. If it re-opens I would be one of the first in the queue (and its possibly the closest pub to Greenhill Rd?)

The CLUE for PICTURE 66 is an easy one for you.

I think at a conservative guess this is in new street?

I used to love looking in those windows when i was a boy. Just like a hall of mirrors. Never bored in the 70s, who needs a DS?

The windows were brilliant,almost as good as the Harry Worth windows at Cuthbertsons.

On an election day maybe its appropriate that PICTURE 66 is the Paisley Conservative Club in New St., or at least it was. B Listed. Built as a house in 1800 and became the Conservative Club in 1883. Alterations in 1920 by the great TG.

Like some others I loved these windows as a kid and wondered how you could get curved windows and what a job that would be for the glazier and joiner in fitting them. (Strange thoughts for a kid smile.png ). Dont know when it stopped being the Conservative Club but could imagine it as full of leather seats, cigars and whisky. Paisley Uni used at least a part of it at one point. Dont know much about its current use.

PICTURE 67 CLUE is the second image.

post-2737-0-17804000-1336082515_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-20712000-1336082781_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

On an election day maybe its appropriate that PICTURE 66 is the Paisley Conservative Club in New St., or at least it was. B Listed. Built as a house in 1800 and became the Conservative Club in 1883. Alterations in 1920 by the great TG.

Like some others I loved these windows as a kid and wondered how you could get curved windows and what a job that would be for the glazier and joiner in fitting them. (Strange thoughts for a kid smile.png ). Dont know when it stopped being the Conservative Club but could imagine it as full of leather seats, cigars and whisky. Paisley Uni used at least a part of it at one point. Dont know much about its current use.

PICTURE 67 CLUE is the second image.

sma shot cottage