Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Was waiting for the low-down from Sid on PICTURE 71 as it is close to his heart smile.png

PICTURE 71 is the former Brown & Polson Workers' Institute On Falside Rd. Now private accommodation. Built in 1909 and B Listed. Not the usual Paisley architecture. I was only in this building once for a 21st or something many years. ago. Felt I had stepped back in time. Great old building.

PICTURE 72 CLUE is fourth image.

Dunno much about the houses at all Sonny. Just really liked them....they were a jaw dropping moment as a kid when I first saw them, as they are so different from anything else in Paisley. They look like fairy tale cnutcil hooses. There's something very North European about them.

Sakes Sonney that will never show up on Google

But It looks to have an industrial feel, and the white washed wall at the back is fairly unusaul in Paisley. I wonder if this related to the Water industry?

Dunno about it being related to the water industry, but I do think there is something like that on the Glasgow Road side of the Lagoon? unsure.png

that picture rings a bell

Definitely a bell - cannae be the Ring o bells though - not in Paisley.

Found this series of pictures from an ex-pat who came back to visit from Canada. Nice comment at the bottom stating that Paisley had been added to a foreign bawbags places to visit on the back of the pics:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f98/back-our-roots-3-paisley-32008/

Sakes Sonney that will never show up on Google

But It looks to have an industrial feel, and the white washed wall at the back is fairly unusaul in Paisley. I wonder if this related to the Water industry?

You drove me to it insaintee. I thought the red and white stripes would be difficult but not for you lot on here. Have to start making them harder!

Dunno much about the houses at all Sonny. Just really liked them....they were a jaw dropping moment as a kid when I first saw them, as they are so different from anything else in Paisley. They look like fairy tale cnutcil hooses. There's something very North European about them.

Me too Sid, I walked past them on my way to Brodie Park many a time and always thought they looked so 'international' compared to all the red and white sandstone we see in Paisley.

Mean while back on today's conumdrum. It's almost certainly not ecclesistical. If it a bell it might be related to some kind of works. Also it looks in very good conditon so it still "in use" or being kept up. So I'm thinking a water related industrial building now being used for another purpose. Hope Im not a lone in a dead end

Edited by insaintee

Mean while back on today's conumdrum. It's almost certainly not ecclesistical. If it a bell it might be related to some kind of works. Also it looks in very good conditon so it still "in use" or being kept up. So I'm thinking a water related industrial building now being used for another purpose. Hope Im not a lone in a dead end

It is without a shadow of a doubt a bell. I suspect trickery from the Paisley Prowler that is sonny though. Is there anything like that down at the sma' shots cottages?

If it is a cottage then there are not that many in Pasiley. Sma'shot cottages have been coved have they not (or just talked about endlessly?). Tannahills's Cottage is not painted white (as far as I recall). Perhaps there are some others knocking about the place. Maybe there is an old cottage attached to say a larger building used as a store or out house.

Wait maybe it is a bell nicked from ferguslie mill and dumped in Sonny's back garden next to his shed. That's cheating Sonny

I still seem to be a lone in my dead end

I still seem to be a lone in my dead end

I see what you're doing there, and I think I know where you mean (and since Sonny's has 'liked' your previous post you must be right) but I honestly can't remember seeing anything like this pic there - I'm awaiting the big reveal so I can go "Awww, of course!"

Well Sonny is it the watermill hotel. That bit at the side that leads down to the hamils, or is it in your back garden next to your shed?

Eddy go round and check it for us eh?

If you google Ferguslie Bell Sma Shot Cottages.....tongue.png

doh!

I thought you were offering really cryptic hints to the cul de sac, feegie works and the lade that powered the mill...

"Mean while back on today's conumdrum.    It's almost certainly not ecclesistical.  If it a bell it might be related to some kind of works.  Also it looks in very good conditon so it still "in use" or being kept up.  So I'm thinking a water related industrial building now being used for another purpose.    Hope Im not a lone in a dead end"

I was sure I had seen it some where. I had a tour round the old ferguslie works when I was a boy. At the time there was a plan to turn it into an industrial museaum like Beamish or even that one out in Ardrie.

Suddlenly a mysterious fire came and burnt the place down, But I remeber old fire engines bells, The canal etc.

But no I was thinking of the water mill they do have lots of old industrial artiifacts dotted around the place and the back walls are painted white.

By the way did we have Sma shot cotteges earlier?

I see what you're doing there, and I think I know where you mean (and since Sonny's has 'liked' your previous post you must be right) but I honestly can't remember seeing anything like this pic there - I'm awaiting the big reveal so I can go "Awww, of course!"

My 'Like' Eddy was for the Google Reference as that is where insaintee does most of his 'research' :)

If you google Ferguslie Bell Sma Shot Cottages.....tongue.png

Sid is the man. Again. PICTURE 72 is the Ferguslie Bell now located in the garden between the Sma Shot Cottages (did you know there were several cottages there?). The bell originally rang for shift changes at the old Ferguslie Mills which was handy for many workers who lived nearby but thats another story. It was moved to the Sma Shot Cottages after the Mill was demolished.

I have also attached some internal shots of the Sma Shot Cottages. Worth a visit. Note Shull's place in a couple of the images smile.png

The 7th image is the PICTURE 73 CLUE.

post-2737-0-68111600-1336760467_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-72175900-1336760633_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-91182800-1336760666_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-20613100-1336760701_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-40782000-1336760751_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-64787000-1336760785_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-39404400-1336760820_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny