Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Today's image shows a landmark familiar to many in a certain part of the town. I was born about 100 yards from here and it served as a backdrop to my childhood. I do not know when this was built but the site has been used for this purpose from 1823. The second image is more like what I used to see when growing up.

PICTURE 6

post-2737-0-37805800-1331417570_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-28322300-1331417746_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

My aunt and uncle lived in a tenement at the bottom of the hill. Found reference in this

http://www.archive.o...02brow_djvu.txt

to "excavations....being made for a new gas-holder" in 1877 suggesting something's been there since around then.

They found a 3ft red deer horn which was placed in the museum - anyone know if it's still there?

Edited by salmonbuddie

Notices a wee lion perched upon the barbers on wegiescumbag road. The building has the initials LJ on it and a date of around 1932? For some reason there's only on lion - looks like it should have been two. Just across the road from the Allison Memorial Hall building, which is also pretty smart.

Notices a wee lion perched upon the barbers on wegiescumbag road. The building has the initials LJ on it and a date of around 1932? For some reason there's only on lion - looks like it should have been two. Just across the road from the Allison Memorial Hall building, which is also pretty smart.

it was lyons the coal merchants shop at one time the lion also appeared on their lorries, there was indeed a pair of lions the other one stood in their coalyard Edited by buddiecat

Today's image shows a landmark familiar to many in a certain part of the town. I was born about 100 yards from here and it served as a backdrop to my childhood. I do not know when this was built but the site has been used for this purpose from 1823. The second image is more like what I used to see when growing up.

PICTURE 6

The story in my family is that my great grandfather, on my mothers side, left Ireland at the age of 14 with his wee brother when his mother and father, who owned a farm, died. Seemingly, some not much loved uncle took over the farm and the boys left Ireland and landed in Paisley. My great grandfather lived in Caledonia Street and worked at the gas works where he lost an eye.

I think this is a fine looking building and am aware of various organisations that currently use it but have no idea about its history or why it was originally built, however I am sure you guys can shed some light on it smile.png

PICTURE 7

post-2737-0-52579400-1331486056_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I think this is a fine looking building and am aware of various organisations that currently use it but have no idea about its history or why it was originally built, however I am sure you guys can shed some light on it smile.png

PICTURE 7

I think I went there once to pay my mammy's rent.

Or am I making that up?

Mirren House in Maxwell St.There used to be a pub called The Hole In The Wall Just next to it.

Well done HSS. I'll take your word its Maxwell St as I did not know its name.

Faraway - its at right angles to the Hole in the Wa in a dead end - the street is now blocked off but used to run into Back Sneddon.

What a brilliant thread. I moved away from Paisley 28 years ago and it's great to see and read about old Paisley landmarks. My father was born in a house in McKenzie Street which overlooked the Gas Works in Well Street and my Grampa stayed for years in the same house. Many happy memories of looking out the window in my Grampa's house and watch him walking back down Well Street from his shopping trips to Galbraiths in the West End

What a brilliant thread. I moved away from Paisley 28 years ago and it's great to see and read about old Paisley landmarks. My father was born in a house in McKenzie Street which overlooked the Gas Works in Well Street and my Grampa stayed for years in the same house. Many happy memories of looking out the window in my Grampa's house and watch him walking back down Well Street from his shopping trips to Galbraiths in the West End

That was my grandmothers family business.biggrin.png Linwood types (when it was all fields)..

This is a cracking thread

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. With all the great places in Paisley this thread should run for some time.

I was born in Hannay St (no more) which was off Well St. My mother done loads of her shopping (or I was sent!) in the Galbraiths just round and on the corner on Well St. On the other corner of that block was a butcher's shop (Watson's?) on the corner of Arthur St where the Modele (sp) was - a huge slum for the homeless. As a boy I used to see all the poor old guys staggering down Well St and into Arthur St looking for a bed for the night. Cannot find a pic of it. Would be grateful to see one if anyone can find one.

Edited by Sonny

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. With all the great places in Paisley this thread should run for some time.

I was born in Hannay St (no more) which was off Well St. My mother done loads of her shopping (or I was sent!) in the Galbraiths just round and on the corner on Well St. On the other corner of that block was a butcher's shop (Watson's?) on the corner of Arthur St where the Modele (sp) was - a huge slum for the homeless. As a boy I used to see all the poor old guys staggering down Well St and into Arthur St looking for a bed for the night. Cannot find a pic of it. Would be grateful to see one if anyone can find one.

Aye, ditto what others have said. Great Thread. I moved away 21 years ago and my wife and I were looking at the pictures last night.

I stayed in Andrew St, just off Caledonia St and there also was a Galbraiths at the start of Greenock road, with a barbers, Johhny Blue's next door. Used to get a hair cut, there was no point asking for anything, he just shaved and cut the same for everybody although getting a "free" bubblegum almost made up for the dodgy haircut. lol.gif

Also was sent for the messages to Galbraith, got caught in a hilarious attempt to shoplift, can't even remember what it was, stuffed up my jumper, a blind man could have spotted it. Unfortunately my Mother was in the shop at the same time, my fcuking ears still ringing with the thump I got. thumbup2.gif

Edited by faraway saint

That was my grandmothers family business.biggrin.png Linwood types (when it was all fields)..

Galbraiths was a big concern was it not i'm sure there shops were all over the place or was it just Piasley.

I seem to remember my brother lived a few houses along from your grandmother on main road Eldirslie ?

Did she sell on to the co-op or something ?